SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooksnsews

Speaking of Wacky Gifts....

cooksnsews
12 years ago

OK, it's time to do something about the gift my non-foodie big brother gave me for Christmas...

He picked it up in his local Hungarian deli, but can't remember what it is called. It certainly looks like there is an abundance of paprika somewhere within. He suggested I look it up at the deli's website, but it isn't listed there. He described it as "cured meat", but didn't know if it was beef or pork or something else. I thought I'd prepare it this weekend, but hadn't a clue how, when, or why to serve it. So, I sent him on a mission (he lives in another city). He got back to me, with the info that it is smoked pork jowl, and should be sliced thinly and served as a starter or snack on thin rye bread. Still don't know what it is called...

Does it look familiar to anyone? Or does anyone just want to guess? I'm contemplating cutting into it tomorrow morning, and if it looks too disgusting to eat as-is, I'll fry it like bacon and serve it with eggs. Or perhaps pretend it's Italian and do pasta carbonara? We don't do jowls here - this is really a cultural culinary stretch. My family has a lot of reservations about my brothers, and this looks like it may be a trial...

Comments (4)