SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petdocvmd

Cat urine in carpeting glued to concrete

petdocvmd
11 years ago

Good Day,

I am looking for help with correcting an ongoing home disaster. One or more of our cats have been urinating on carpeting throughout our basement. I have spot treated several areas with a commercial enzymatic cat urine neutralizer, but the scope of the problem has far surpassed that solution. I set out to remove the carpeting in my basement office, only to find that it was glued directly to the concrete floor below. After much effort I was able to pull up the carpeting, but what is left is a tacky residue on top of a grooved concrete floor :-P

I would like to eventually lay down vinyl or linoleum in the entire basement (like 1000 square feet). My concerns are:

- How can I eliminate urine odor given glue residue remaining on concrete?
- How can I prepare floor to ensure proper installation of the vinyl?

I scrubbed the entire office floor with a commercial concrete cleaner, and that has helped 95% with the odor. I suspect some of the remaining odor (noticeable when dehumidifier shuts down when full) is coming from the baseboards.

I'm tempted to simply pour a thin layer of concrete on top of the existing floor, then seal it with Acrylic. I would also pull off the trim, seal it and the bottom 12" of walls with Kilz, then repaint everything.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Scott

Comments (8)