SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetteamaker

Cat urine smell in new home

sweetteamaker
13 years ago

We closed on our new house yesterday and during the walk-through beforehand saw that the carpet was ruined with urine stains where the litterbox had been. I am not a cat person (and am even less of one now) and do not know if it's normal to keep a litterbox on top of carpet, but apparently cats have poor aim so it's not a good idea! If we had not already been planning on ripping the carpet out and installing hardwood in these rooms we would have been furious and closing would not have been a happy time. Since we were going to replace the flooring already we let it go.

The first thing we did after closing was remove the carpet and pad from the room. The stench became worse because so much urine was in the pad. The particleboard (?) underneath the pad has large stains on it. I plan on asking the hardwood installer to replace those boards before laying wood. The MDF baseboard had swelled tremendously in that corner and we are replacing those areas now as well. I'm wondering about the sheetrock around this area. It doesn't appear to be stained and we are going to repaint the room. Is there any chance urine has gotten into the sheetrock and we should also replace that, or is what we're planning on sufficient? I don't want to do a bunch of work in this room and still have a lingering cat smell.

Also, upstairs there was anotherlitterbox with urine smell in that corner. The carpet is not stained. It was professionally cleaned the day before closing. I assume that the pad and board underneath have the same issues as downstairs. Is there any way to salvage the upstairs carpet by pulling the carpet back, replacing the boards and pad underneath, and cleaning the carpet well again? Thanks for any advice!

Disgusted by cat urine

Comments (13)