SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

More on eating healthy

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

I thought I'd start a new thread since the other one, if I skimmed accurately, was largely a discussion of veganism vs vegetarianism.

I consider myself quite educated about nutrition, and quite serious about the quality of what we eat. I went to a local talk yesterday that was part of a fundraiser. I sort of had to be dragged because I thought I knew a fair amount about the topic.

However, I did learn a few things, and I thought I'd share.

Most useful insight: We buy organic fruits and veggies when we can, or better yet local. From time to time, though, we cannot get the organic version of something. I always though the distinction between which items should definitely be organic (eg berries) and which it is less important (eg bananas) was just about which fruits you could more easily wash the pesticides from. (aka the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen)

But, I found out, that some of these products use "systemic" pesticides ,,, not just sprayed on but in the soil from day one. OMG yuck. Whereas, in the past, if I needed one of these "dirty dozen" items and could not find organic, id have substituted original, I won't be doing that anymore.

Take a look at the link, as it is not always intuitive which is on which list. In some instances the only reason pesticides are not an issue is because the item is grown in a country that was too poor to use them!

Also had an interesting discussion about cheese, that I did not know about and is not labelled. You can not import milk to the US, but you can import dried whey protein and reconstitute it with water. Much of mass produced dairy products now use this, as it is cheaper. That is why a lot of deli cheese (like Land o Lakes) now tastes and has the mouth feel of "cheese flavored jello". Since this is not labelled, you pretty much have to go for artisinal or organic cheese to avoid it.

Remember pink slime? Pink slime is in most chicken nuggets, too, eg Perdue. I never knew that. We always use Bell and Evans, which is just pieces of chicken.

We eat organic beef but the speakers really brought home the point that "you are what you eat eats". We are now switching to grass fed only, after he pointed out that even the high end organic stuff we buy, they can feed the cows anything. Including stale leftover candy!

We buy organic eggs already, but again, what are they fed? The grocer said that white eggs are a sign of what the chicken are fed. Best case, the eggs in a carton should all be slightly different colors.

In the milk aisle, again, you want milk from cows who ate a healthy diet; that is more than just looking for organic. Try your local dairy (in CT, Arethusa, which btw, fun fact, is owned by the guy who owns Manolo Blahnik).

Anyway, I thought I'd share these because they were knew to me, and I read a lot about the subject of nutrition.

Two observations. One, the speaker called today's food business "a social justice issue", and I think he is right. It is expensive to eat organic, but if you want to follow the rules above, and eat not just organic but eat meats and dairy from animals fed a vegetarian diet, it is quite costly. For some, it may be totally prohibitive.

Second observation. It is very very hard to dine out if food quality is important to you. With a young family we are always going places and doing things, not to mention travelling a few weeks a year, and we eat out a lot. Last year, en route to Santa Fe from Lake Powell, I was out of groceries and we were hungry. Our choices were a mouthful of sand and scrub, or Burger King. You'd think we were taking our kids to the gallows. They complained mightily that we would "feed (them) this stuff".

It is rare that fast food is our only choice, but even at high price points it is quite difficult to get a meal that is organic and wholesome. Here in Connecticut, there are probably less than 10 restaurants I feel good about dining in . It drives me crazy. Sometimes I think we should move to Calif, where I think it is a lot easier.

PS In the other post in re unsweetened yogurt. We have a woman who shops and cooks for us on weekdays. She nukes berries and cinnamon and water, and adds that to plain yogurt. It is easy, no refined sugar, and really good. My kids also like to drizzle honey or maple syrup over it. We try to keep it to a teaspoon or so, which is enough and is far far less then the Yoplait would put in.

Comments (16)