SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
microxl

Leviton modular 6 conductor phone jack wiring

microxl
16 years ago

I am trying to consolidate a phone wire and an F coax cable from two separate boxes to one box using the Leviton's snap-in modules in their Decora line.

My problem is understanding how I rewire from the old phone jack to the new modular one. The old setup has four short red, black, green and yellow wires that go from pin-jack contacts to screws in each of the four corners of the unit. Wires from the cable are matched at each screw as follows: orange to black; orange/white to yellow; blue to red; blue/white to green.

I do not understand how the above can be adapted to the small module. Nor do I understand the two tiered color coding since it would seem (for example) that if you insert a wire in the (#2)black coded hole(tier 1) you would also make contact with orange/white (tier 2)which is directly below the black.

Since the cable itself doesn't have red,yellow,green and black, do you still use these short lengths and and insert the ends into the corresponding color-coded contacts?

Does the black snap-on cap simply secure the wires in place? Is there a purpose for the four slots on the back of this cap?

Thanks,

Bob W.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21