SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Terminate Cat 5e in furnace room?

pjb999
15 years ago

Apropos of my question about running cat 5e through my furnace room, I'm wondering if that indeed is the place I ought to terminate the cables, since the furnace room ceiling is open and has access to the various ducts/plenums and what have you that would give me access to wire just about all the rooms in the house.

Leviton make some boxes/inserts that would seem like a cool way of doing it, I was going to get some sort of new (or used) rj45 patch panel and fit it in the room which might eventually be the 'media room' and, as a geek/nerd would be happy with it, but some might prefer it more out of sight, so was thinking one of these boxes with the push-in inserts would do the trick. There are modules for phone, data and video. I had figured on just using cat 5e for phone, Telus here "recommend" it yet Home Depot sells tons of cat 3 still. Are there any perceived issues with me setting up the wiring this way? I kind of need to start on it now, because one of my wireless adapters is a little haywire and I have no desire to replace it, I'd rather just go hardwired, but my options are limited as to location unless I start running cat 5, as I have only two phone jacks and both are in fairly stupid places. My demarcation box outside is old and odd and hard to interpret, I note that Telus offer to change it to the new type for free. I'll be taking them up on that, I will probably leave the original two extensions wired as they are, as I have no access to rewire them, but would like to make a new run from the demarcation box to the distribution box I've described.

It appears you can sort of interchange between phone and ethernet if you wish, the way the box is set up, of course you don't want to make a mistake, I don't know what 100v of ring tone would do to an ethernet adapter.

In my old office in Australia, my phone/wiring guy terminated one of my phone lines to my rj45 patch bay so I could route a phone line to any jack in the office so clients could connect their dialup to it, I used the RJ-11 reducing bushings so no RJ45 could go into it, in a residential situation, however, I think I'm better off with dedicated phone jacks. Will there be any interference issues if phone lines (running on their own cat 5 cable) share a outlet box with ethernet? I have slated 6-jack wall plates (yes, I'll probably use all 6 jacks, one phone 5 data) some of the phone jacks will be 'dry' ie not connected to the phone line, as I have a line feeding out from my all-in-one fax, first phone line goes into it, then it feeds out to all the phones in the house.

Any thoughts on this? Is a furnace room ok for the termination of these wires if I enclose them in a box? Would a regular closet be better? I can manage that too.

Comments (9)