SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Small leak, huge problem, 3rd party insurance?

kksmama
16 years ago

I've posted on the flooring and A/C forums and tried to avoid acknowledging that what I really have now is a home disaster. It seems like such a big word, and I know others have it much worse when they've had water or fire actually in their houses. This was just a little leak under the floors, but now my house is gutted and full of grime and I'm living down the street!

10/1 New A/C installed

10/7 HVAC company discovers drain line clogged and emergency shut-off didn't - water has leaked through the walls of the house and under the wood floors which are now buckling

10/9 HVAC company puts me in contact with their insurance company

10/9 Some wallboard cut away, dehumidifiers brought it.

10/22-10/25 Family is packed up and moved to rental house

10/25 Wood floors taken up, wood is still wet and floor guy reports moldy smell. More wallboard cut and baseboards removed, some mold on backs of base boards. Laundry room is gutted, cabinet is wet and has mold.

10/26 Dehumidifier set up, mold guy scheduled for 10/29

So far, the HVAC company's insurance is handling all these expenses - the emergency work, the packout and move, rental house, etc. I'm worried, however, about the quality of workmanship when it comes time to put everything back. The contractor was selected by the insurance company. They seem to have a good working relationship, the contractor doesn't seem worried about getting the insurer to cover all necessary expenses. Should I be worried about that? Should I be talking to the adjuster myself?

Is there some way I can get the paint and tile work pulled out of the contractor's bid so that I gain some control over the quality of the workmanship? Should I be hiring my own mold expert?

Comments (7)