SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolfm_gw

*Another* Artisan Bread Question

carolfm
15 years ago

Hello,

Longtime lurker here :-). I love to cook, I love to bake too, but I've always been leery of bread making (other than cornbread and biscuits). It seemed too time consuming and difficult. Well, one cold, dreary day this winter I decided to teach myself to make bread. I read everything I could find here, pulled out my cookbooks and decided to try the almost no knead bread since it seemed simple enough for a beginner. It turned out so well that I got brave and made a beautiful and tasty loaf of challah. Full of myself by now, I thought I would try the Artisan bread since it made enough dough for us to have fresh bread whenever we wanted, without spending hours preparing it. I must have done something wrong. The bread was perfectly brown on the outside, and heavy and gummy on the inside. I followed the directions to a tee. I did a search here and found a complaint similar to mine and someone suggested that the baking stone wasn't hot enough so I made sure the stone had more than enough time to heat and I had the same results.

Any ideas what I could do differently or what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for any ideas, suggestions, or help you can offer.

Carol

P.S. this bread making thing is addicting, isn't it?

Comments (23)