SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamacol_gw

lot line confusion

mamacol
16 years ago

Hi. We built our home 4 years ago, and in the process, the builder showed us a surveyors post and told us it was our property line. We built our pool and driveway (and lots of expensive retaining walls and plantings) along the edge of our property. Well, the two adjacent houses were also built using this same surveyors post to measure the backs of those lots. You can see where this is going!

The post actually marked the back corner of some farmland behind us (through some woods). Our actual corner is 83 feet from what we were told by the builder was our corner. 83 feet!

I have been paying taxes (exhorbitant) for 4 years on land that I haven't been able to use, I spent about $80,000 on pool etc that I never would have placed where I did had I known our lot's true dimension, and now our neighbor has dog fence, sprinkler system, and septic leach field on our property. And trees of course.

The builder is "getting information together" about how to deal with the two neighbors who have to move sprinkler systems etc, but how should I be compensated for my loss of use for all this time? And the permanent landscape mess that I will somehow have to make look good, like I wanted to stick the pool in the middle of my yard!

Any real estate attorneys out there? I should mention that my builder is a small businessman, in a long-term relationship with my neighbor across the street, respected and liked in the community, and I don't want to damage his business. I would probably be a bit of a pariah in the area if I sued this guy, but it might still be what I need to do to.

My neighbors will get their problems fixed relatively cheaply, and they won't wind up losing any land or anything. But I am really angry that my yard will always look like it was pieced together, and that I've been paying taxes all this time on something I wasn't able to use. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (17)