SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

Parchment Paper?

donnar57
16 years ago

I've seen you all mention parchment paper for baking, and then today I came across it in a recipe (linked below). I don't have any, so I went ahead and made the recipe without it (yum). They turned out fine. Other than cleanup, what's it for?

The recipe also said you could use a silicon mat. Ditto - what's it for?

Thanks,

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe (low fat choc chip cookies)

Comments (38)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Both those items allow you to bake on a sheet without greasing the pan....not only does it save calories and scouring the pan, but it makes a nicer cookie, bread or what have you.
    And the finished product is nicer as you don't have that greasy residue around the outside of the cookie.
    Try it...you will love it.
    Linda C

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I stopped greasing cookie sheets long ago, even if the recipe calls for it.

The clean up aside, I think cookies and cakes bake better with parchment. But if you don't have parchment, you can still make an excellent product.

Michelle

• Related Discussions

What kind of tape makes parchment paper stick?

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for your responses. I think stapling the top may be the best way. And Terri, it is interesting on the video link you posted, that she tapes around the point end. I'm thinking she uses a long enough peice so that the tape is taping to itself and not to the paper. I was trying to tape at the wide end, but I am going to try it the way she does, because I end up with icing leaking around the tip occasionally. That piece of tape may fix that problem. Can't wait to try this. I ordered a heart cookie cutter today and am planning on decorating for Valentine's day.
    ...See More

Any restrictions to using Parchment Paper?

Q

Comments (18)
    I've never used pp but I'm surprised it doesn't have a max temp on the box? Here is what some googling got me: a definition from wiki - Vegetable (paper) parchment is made by silicone treatment of high density paper. This produces a cross-linked material with high density, stability and heat resistance. Applications include cooking and baking (cooking parchment, baking parchment). To avoid sticking to foods, silicone and other coatings can be applied to parchment. From the Reynolds page: Reynolds® Parchment Paper General Info Reynolds® Parchment Paper is a high quality, nonstick paper that is ovenproof up to 450 degrees. From the If You Care brand website - I wonder if this is true, I think most brands use silicone now. And I have no idea what the process is for making silicon or whether its all that environmentally friendly like they say although it being non-bleached seems like a good thing for the environment. When using IF YOU CARE® Parchment Paper and Baking Paper no greasing is necessary. The paper has been coated with silicone  a non-organic natural product  on both sides. Many parchment papers are coated with quilon. Quilon is a chemical containing chrome  a heavy metal  which when incinerated becomes toxic and leaves trace elements. The reason for the majority of parchment paper to be quilon-coated is the cost, which is substantially lower than silicone. So, in order to be environmentally friendly, the paper should be silicone-coated. From everything2.com - hm, sulfuric acid doesn't sound that environmentally friendly. Parchment paper is a heavy brown paper which has been treated with supfuric acid to make it grease, moisture, and heat resistant, and then coated with silicone to make it non-stick.
    ...See More

Parchment Paper

Q

Comments (9)
    I use parchment for pizza too -- anywhere from 450 - 500 degrees. I do something similar to what FoodonAstump mentioned. I read that hint from others on this forum. I lay the formed dough on the parchment and then trim it so there's only about 2-3 inches exposed on all sides. About five minutes before the baking is complete, I pull out the parchment and let the dough finish directly on my baking stone. That way I avoid a cornmeal bottom. I also don't have to deal with burnt or toasted cornmeal cleanup. I do the same thing with free-form loaves of bread too.
    ...See More

For those who use parchment paper or those who don't like it!

Q

Comments (11)
    My Reynolds parchment paper is good to 420ð, too. I don't think I never need to go over that when using it. Mostly, I use parchment paper for baked goods, but when I use it for the occasional main dish, it's something that's cooked fairly gently, not blasted. My problem with the Martha wrap is having to throw away two products, instead of just one. I usually recycle my parchment paper a few times before I throw it away, and even then, I'm wishing I could recycle. Unfortunately, I've tried the Silpats, and don't like them nearly as much.
    ...See More
  • whiteorchid75
    16 years ago

I hate baking without parchement paper now, for all the reasons they mentioned, but also, it's easier to get the cookies or whatever off the pan because they won't stick!

I also adore non-stick aluminum foil for the same purposes.

• azzalea
    16 years ago

I imagine, if you give parchment a try, you probably will consider it a kitchen necessity as many of us do.

A few tips. The unbleached (brown) parchment in the brown and green box is the best brand I've tried, and you get a lot more in the box than with a lot of other brands. It's also a better size for my cookie sheets than the white parchment that you find in the blue box.

Parchment is reusable. If you bake something 'non' messy on it (breads, most cookies, etc), just shake off the crumbs and store away until you need to use it again. Around Christmas, I just line my cookie sheets with parchment and leave it on them for the season unless it gets soiled with jam, melted chocolate, etc.

You can also use parchment to line cake pans or loaf pans for quick breads.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Dawn I also love love love the non-stick foil. I use it on the grill when I'm making super-low fat turkey burgers that would otherwise stick to the grill. I also use it for roasting diced red potatoes that also tend to stick. My only worry is what chemicals are leaching into the food...

For parchment paper, my local restaurant/institution supply house sells boxes of precut 1/2 sheet parchment paper. Way cheaper than the rolls and it obviously lies (lays?) flat instead of curling.

I also use Silpats, mostly when I am kneading challah, and then I bake right on it. I alternate between the Silpat and parchment depending on my whim and clean-up factor.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Azzalea, please let me know the brand of the green and brown box! I'd like to know what to look for, thanks. I only see the white and blue box.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I hate that brand in the green and brown box!! The box falls apart, there is no metal cutter on the box, so the paper doesn't cut easily, and the one pan it fits really well is the pan that's a full half sheet.

Jessy...lie lay lain,... lay laid laid.
    Lay it a transitive verb, it takes an object..you lay the book down, the book just lies there. Yeaterday you lay the book down and it laid there, the day before you had lain the book down and it had just laid there.
    You were right the firse time...the paper lies flat.

Now back to the subject....where do you store that big box of parchment sheets? I hate to think it might take over my whole placemat drawer!
    Linda C

• donnar57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Boy, I'm learning something more than just parchment - non stick FOIL???

Next question - where do you find parchment paper and non-stick foil in reasonable sized boxes? I have 3 grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Target and K-Mart within easy reach. But my "local" restaurant supplier (Smart & Final) is a good 23 miles away, so I don't get there very often. DH gets in there more than I do (he buys our coffee there) but I'd HATE to try to send him in there looking for something like parchment paper!

DonnaR/CA

• dedtired
    16 years ago

I will have to use my parchment and Silpats more often. I never thought about the grease from the cookie sheet making the cookie greasy. Makes sense.

Now I lay me down to sleep. Me being the object. That's how I remember that rule. No lie.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

I love the non-stick foil too and use it frequently.

Donnar, I buy my non-stick foil and parchment paper at the supermarket. Publix even has its own brand of parchment paper.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I prefer the pre-cut sheets but can't seem to find them the last several years. And I really don't like the rolled parchment.

Michelle

• pixistix
    16 years ago

Some of us stuck in Siberia are just happy as clams to be able to buy the name brand no-stick foil and blue-and-white-boxed parchment . . . love them both.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Donna, I buy both in the regular supermarket, its in with all the regular foil and wraps. My supermarket also carries small bags of flat parchment paper all folded up - but they're pricier. Look at this link for the non-stick foil and also they show the parchment paper on the left of the page.

Beverly is the Publix brand good? I bet its cheaper than the name brand - I'll have to bring some home when I go to Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alcoa Site

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

A local store was switching out parchment paper brands, I bought 12 25 ft. rolls at 99 cents apiece. So for right now, the curling up factor is just fine by me! lol.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Thank you Linda and Pam, LOL.

Donna, the foil should be in your supermarket, right with the other aluminum foils.

I store my parchment paper sheets with my trays, in my tray cabinet (gee it fits right in my pans....)

This is what I have - not from Smart & Final, but from Surfas, another dangerous store.... Donna if you want me to get the SKU info from S&F, its right down the street from me and I can get you whatever it is to help your DH get the RIGHT item (snicker, DHs, btdt).

Here is a link that might be useful: parchment paper

• maureen_me
    16 years ago

Actually, it's "Yesterday you laid the book down, and it lay there. The day before, you had laid the book down, and it had just lain there." I wouldn't want my job as the real-life grammar police getting any harder through misinformation on the cooking boards. ;o)

I have a Silpat (Matfer, really), and it's getting brown with age--not staining, but turning brown. Is this something I should be worried about? I've never felt entirely comfortable cooking on silicone. (I have the same worries about siliconized parchment, to be completely honest.) Time to chuck it?

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Woodie, I haven't tried any other brand of partchment paper except Publix brand, so I don't know how it stacks up. It seems to be fine so far as I can tell. Since I rarely bake I really wouldn't be a great judge.

Beverly

• supercooker28
    16 years ago

even if its only for clean up, isn't it just amazing for clean up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Healthy Choice Recipes

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy Choice Recipes

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

I just recently discovered how great parchment paper is. Other than the curling up part...I love it! And the non-stick foil comes in 12" wide x 11 2/3 yards or 35 square feet (this is the only size I have found so far). I love that stuff too. That is what I used before I discovered the parchment paper.

• hoopysmom
    16 years ago

Parchment paper is great for lining baking pans but I've also used it when preparing meat or anything that you would normally put on the counter. Our local Cash & Carry (restaurant supply) carries 1000 sheets for $31 (24x16). I split the box with friends and family and store them with my cookie sheets. Comparing to the store rolls, its quite a savings.

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

Like many of you, I bought the "lifetime" supply of parchment paper from a restaurant supply store and never looked back. I cut my sheets in half and keep a user-friendly amount hanging on a pants hanger (two wooden bars that clamp together) and hang them inside a cabinet on the door on a small hook. I do the same thing with my Silpats and World Cuisine Mat (similar to a Silpat, but thicker).

Some other uses for parchment paper:

-I measure dry ingredients over a sheet of parchment paper. Any extra ingredients that fall on the paper is quickly and easily put back in the original container. I also sift ingredients over parchment paper.

-When I bake pecan rolls (the kind with a gooey top), I line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and flip the gooey rolls out of the muffin tins onto the parchment paper to cool - quick clean-up, just toss the parchment paper (only after you've eaten any errant pecans).

-I cut sheets to needed sizes for separating foods I put in the freezer or layers of cookies.

maureen me - Silpats do wear out.

"Silpat are made of fiberglass and silicone, and have a life of 2,000 to 3,000 times.*"

Note the *....*Life of product varies depending on use and maintenance. (Duh!)

My favorite use for a Silpat is kneading bread dough on it, and forming dough for loaves (NO bench flour needed). Another favorite use is dumping hot molten peanut brittle on it to cool. It never sticks. (Note: I place a thick terry cloth towel under the Silpat to help quickly absorb the heat from the peanut brittle.)

-Grainlady

• murphy_zone7
    16 years ago

I love parchment paper too. If you just roll it opposite of how it comes out of the box, gently, it will lay reasonably flat until you put whatever on it.
    I got extremely lucky and found Wilton's brand of parchment paper on sale after Christmas for 70 per cent off at my local craft store.
    Murphy

• azzalea
    16 years ago

The natural brand, in the brown and green box is Beyond Gourmet.

You get 71 feet for about $5-6. Sometimes I can get it in the grocery store, sometimes I have to go to Kitchen Kapers for it. Or if I'm ordering something from Fante's, I just add a roll to my order, whether I need it or not.

I've never had a problem with the box falling apart, and it's simple enough to cut the parchment using the non-metallic cutting edge on the box. Just hold the edge down with your thumb where you start cutting. I've never had a problem cutting it with the box. I like that I'm using a very environmental product, as well as the fact that this brand seems to be the most non-stick of any I've tried.

As to any parchment rolling? Just turn it over--problem solved.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Wow!!!All this information on paper and Lessons in English.
    I don't know my Grandmother ever survived, thru her 85 years.
    Now, I know about Lie, Lays, Lying. But I'm still puzzled about " Laid ".

Is it Past or Present tense. in fact what is tense ?
    A distinction of a form of a Verb or does it mean RIGID, INFLEXIBLE, ???
    As some of us may be ?
    I think "laid" can be Past , Present or future, according to how it is used.
    Amazing word, should be used more often.
    That's it I quit ! I hated English in School, don't know
    I learned to talk.
    Maybe " one " of you can tutor me.
    Watch it Jessy . I resemble that remark !
    LOU

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I think I'm a bright one, Lou, and that one confounds me, too. I can never remember how to deal with the lay, lie, laid, layed, lying, whatever. I always just "word" my way around it!

I love parchment paper, too. I will have to look for it in restaurant supply stores. The grocery store prices are a bit steep. I use it to hand-cut my own doilies for presentation as well as for cooking. I tend to buy both natural and white and have both on hand.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Re curling - here's a "tip" from Cooks Illustrated that I always shook my head at:

"Roll a quantity of parchment sheets into a tight roll and place it inside an empty gift-wrap tube, which can be easily stored in the pantry or kitchen. The sheets can be pulled out easily, one at a time."

If I'm buying nice, flat paper why the heck would I want to roll it?!?!

p.s. I buy the green stuff, too. Like the price, hate the box and its so-called cutter.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

LOL Lou heck I'll talk about getting (lessons in) 'laid' all day. Sometimes I just like to watch (other posters talking about it).

I think I'm done now....

• eandhl
    16 years ago

A year ago this past Christmas I became a parchment paper convert. Due to this site I tried it and every cookie came out perfect. Not one over cooked or burned edges.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Fenworth, it don't hurt to roll it. It still will be flat, when you take it out.
    Use a large tube. Wet your finger, put in the middle and twist 1 piece out.
    It can be stored easier.

Jessy !!!!! Behave ! No comments. I'm glad I'm a good boy.
    LOU

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Eileen: From what you mentioned in past Threads; about a girl in California,
    you don't have to deal with it. Me too, right now !
    I don't think some of the English Lessons, were right ? anyway.
    Whish I neu howl to spelel betder, dough, like udders, in hear. dey r goud.
    I don't believe it. 3 hours passed and no comment, from the wicked one.
    LOU

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Lou of course I'm still here guffawing at your 'wet your finger and put it in the middle' comment. You're not such a good boy after all! Well, depending on how it feels, eh?

I stopped at Smart And Final today, and wrote down what they currently have - SKU 80521 is 50 full size 'Quilon baking sheets', folded in half over a piece of cardboard, for $3.19.

• lov2garden
    16 years ago

If it were not for parchment paper, I would NEVER roll & cut-out cookies! Parchment makes the whole process fast, easy & goof proof. It might sound more complicated than it is, just because it's harder to write about it than do it:
    1. As soon as you've made the dough, put a blob of it between two sheets of parchment. The fresh soft dough quickly rolls easily to the desired thickness! If the parchment wrinkles, peel off the top sheet and put it back on to straighten it. After you are done rolling, put the parchment paper with dough between on a cookie sheet in the fridge. Keep rolling and layering the sheets in the fridge. By the time the last is rolled, the first is chilled enough to cut.
    2. To cut..remove a rolled layer of dough with parchment on both sides from fridge. Peel the top parchment sheet off and cut the cookies out with the bottom parchment in place. Keep the top sheet for reuse. Remove excess dough from cookie shapes for re-rolling.
    3. Slide the parchment with cut cookies onto a cookie sheet & pop into the oven. When done, slide the parchment with cookies off the cookie sheet onto a cooling rack. I usually wait till cookies are almost cool to remove from parchment and continue to let them thoroughly cool on the rack.
    4. Repeat the process. Re-roll excess dough between two sheets of used parchment. Keep going until all of the cookies are baked.
    ***Notice that you never transfer a cookie until AFTER it's baked and cooled a little. That means NO misshapen cookies! Also saves tons of time transferring cookies from cutting surface to baking sheet.
    ****If you cover the whole stack of dough rolled between parchment with plasic wrap, you can keep it in the fridge for as long as your dough permits. If you double cover the stack tightly, you can freeze the stack for as long as your dough permits. You can also cut the cookies, remove the excess dough, place a sheet of parchment on top, wrap, refrigerate or freeze and bake later. Or to save space, freeze unbaked cookies until firm and layer between sheets of waxed paper in a plastic box. When ready to bake, just place the cut cookies directly on parchment and bake immediately, adding just a few minutes for the use of frozen dough. If you want to thaw frozen dough, leave it wrapped in the fridge for half the day or so, then, leaving the wrapping still on, place on counter until it reaches the temperature you want. Don't thaw unwrapped dough or skip the fridge stage of defrosting...you can wind up with very wet dough from condensation.

I've used most brands of parchment, in rolls and sheets. I like having the sheets precut but I haven't found a parchment that I really like that comes precut. I've found most precut sheets wrinkle more during rolling and can't be reused too many times. The best I've used for this process is Beyond Gourmet, it doesn't wrinkle as much as the others but it does curl a lot and I can't get it to cut well on the box. Instead, I fold stacks of it and run a long knife through the folds to cut into sheets. I can't believe how much you get in one roll and how many times I can use one sheet. It's deceptively thin and light. The cutting and curling is a bit of a pain but overall it's worth it. I bought it very cheaply online and stocked up. I think I might try re-rolling a box in the oppositive direction and letting it sit till I need to use it. It might even be faster to just iron a roll of it flat and cut into sheets in advance! What I won't do for a pretty, well baked cookie!!!
    Barbara

• anney
    16 years ago

donnar

Next time your hubs is going to your restaurant supply company, call them ahead of time and tell them exactly what you want. Ask them to hold it for him. Then he doesn't have to go hunting for it and getting the wrong thing.

I haven't noticed nonstick aluminum foil on the grocery shelves either, but it sure sounds very handy. If roasts don't stick to aluminum foil, your roaster wouldn't get all greasy when you remove them and the foil tears because it's stuck! Or your turkey won't bake on to its tent that somehow shifted.

• donnar57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all this information. I've been off GW for the last two days due to performances (I'm a school Music Specialist). I'll have hubby pick up one of those boxes at Smart & Final next week for me - I'll take Anney's advice and call ahead!

DonnaR/CA

• donnar57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found the non-stick foil at both the grocery store and (surprise, surprise) Wal-Mart. But no parchment paper locally yet - guess Smart & FInal will have to be it -

DonnaR/CA

• donnar57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

UPDATE: I found parchment paper at another local grocery store. Our Smart & Final didn't want to be bothered putting some aside for me, and hubby had no clue what to look for. He says he has 5 minutes to get in/out of that store when he goes since technically he's on work hours.

This afternoon I tried baking some cookies with it. WOW! I'm impressed, and will be using it more often!

DonnaR/CA

• donnar57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today I was in the foils/bags section at Wal-Mart. Ours had never carried parchment paper before - and lo and behold, there it was, today! Reynolds Parchment Paper, and I think it said $2.79 for the package.

DonnaR/CA

• shaun
    16 years ago

I like parchment paper too but I struggle with it curling up.

I've never even seen sheets of it (flat) but if I ever do find any, I will be buying it for sure!