SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Another miss on Corned Beef :(

christy2828
11 years ago

I love corned beef, I cook it a few times a year, but the last say 3 years have all been misses. I always boil. Once I used a slow cooker and it was very salty. I like it a bit salty, but it was too salty even for my salt loving husband. I got a dutch oven for Christmas, a 7 quart and a 5 quart. Today I had a 4.41 pound corned beef. I used the 7 quart. One beer and covered the meat with water. I keep the "sauce" that comes with the bag and used the spices that come with it. Brought it to a boil, and then dropped it to a simmer. I started it at around 2:15. At 5:00 I added 7 medium sized potatoes in very large chunks and 24 pre-cut carrots. At 5:45 I took out the meat to rest, and put in half of a cabbage in wedges. Brought it almost to a boil. The flavor was meh. It wasn't very salty at all, they veggies were cooked just fine and tasted nice. But the juice was bland and boring. I read another thread on here, and read that cooking corned beef requires no skill at all :(. I think I have skill, lol!!! Can anyone help, what am I doing wrong??? Thanks, Christy

Comments (11)