SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

The right amount of healthy carbs.

User
11 years ago

Is there a special number?

I know about simple and complex carbs/hi glycermic and low.

When I had gestational diabetes, I saw a nutritionist who had me follow this:
30g carbs breakfast
30g carbs snack
60g carbs lunch
30g carbs snack
60g carbs supper/dinner
30g carbs snack

My blood glucose levels were great and thankfully I never needed to be on insulin or meds.

My levels are back to normal but the g.d. made me really think about the job of our pancreas. Over the past decade my eating times throughout the day have varied - a lot.

Anyhow, I asked her what would be a good way to eat (relating to carbs) later and she said the same plan was good and, if I wanted, could change the breakfast to 45 or 60 and skip the morning snack. After the baby, I stopped carb counting and haven't done it since.

Isn't 240g of carbs a lot for a day? (Assume we're talking about good carbs.) The 30 grams weren't hard but 60 became more challenging if you were going to make sure you didn't eat ONLY carbs. Also once I included other foods it ended up being a lot on my plate.

What's are good numbers if you wanted to lose weight or maintain? Is it right to assume the amount of carbs would best be spread throughout the day to keep your blood sugar stable? That makes sense to me but I don't see anyone really do that. I'm sure someone is going to say counting calories is the important part. I agree your calories burned needs to be more than consumed in order to lose weight, but I'm really hung up on the blood glucose thing right now. You're at a higher risk for developing diabetes once you've had g.d. and I really don't want that.

During that time frame, I noticed I was actually HUNGRY every few hours. Before the g.d. this never happened to me consistently. I don't know that it was the carb intake or just the fact that I was eating something every few hours.

Also, I noticed I gained weight VERY slowly during that time once I started eating that way.

Other general notes:
I do try and eat food in their natural state.
I'm looking to add more beans to my diet.
I know our bodies need glucose and I don't plan to go on a no carb way of living.

What are your thoughts on carb intake?

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 23:25

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!