SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Sunday night soup...

lindac
16 years ago

Corn chowder today.....I was just "a hankerin' for some.

So I bought a smoked ham hock and a couple of cans of creamed corn and a bag of Yukon Gold....can you believe!! I was out of potatoes!

Put the ham hock into my big le Cruset, added about a gallon of water....chopped up all the celery I had...about 1/2 a head...2 big onions and dumped it all into the pot for a couple of hours.

Added a can of the creamed corn and some frozen....about 1 1/2 cups, from the freezer and 5 baseball sized Yukon golds and some chicken stock base...about enough for 3 cups of chicken broth ( If I had been thinking I would have used that 2 quarts of chicken broth in the freezer for the initial cooking liquid)

Simmered that another hour with the lid off to reduce it a bit....added about 2 cups of milk and 3 oz cream cheese ( to make up for the fact that the milk was skimmed and I had no cream)...a generous heaping tablespoon of dry parsley, about a teaspoon of fresh thyme ( all I had)... a good 5 or 6 grindings of pepper.....and the other can of creamed corn....and salt! I was afraid the ham hock would be salty....but not so....

Anyhow...it's about ready for my supper and then to cool and stash in my freezer for suppers for me and maybe some to share. It will join about 4 or 5 one person meals of bean soup and 1 serving of turkey soup ( I finally got rid of all that!!) and 3 carefully hoarded containers of "summer tomato" soup....love that stuff....and you just can't make it in Iowa except in August and September.

Soooo....what's your next soup making adventure going to be? I am thinking lustful thoughts about Broccoli beer cheese.....maybe next week.

Linda C

Comments (25)