SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanb_tx

best dvd recorder for recording from dvr???

susanb_TX
16 years ago

I couldn't find any current postings regarding this question and with electronics, "current" is important.

I record the same shows each day from my DVR (ReplayTV). I subscribe to Comcast cable. I want to record these same shows to a DVD so I can take it with me to play on a DVD Player occasionally. Most of them seem to require connecting it to a PC afterwards to burn the DVD. I want to avoid that step. I want to be able to take out the DVD and have it immediately available for use.

I was told by a Best Buy employee that what I'm looking for is the Sony RDR-GX355. It has unconversion to 1080i with an HD tuner, multi-format recording, HDMI output and one touch dubbing. It sounded like it does exactly what I want it to do.

However, the reviews I've read on it have not been very good. Some of them say you can't record from HBO or other movie channels because of copyright messages and that it isn't reliable and various other "cons." I was wondering if any of you have experience with that one or any other that would work well for me. Basically, I only want to record ABC, NBC and CBS channels. And its important that it complete the recording without having to hook it up to a computer to burn it to the DVD (UNLESS THAT'S EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS).

I'm basically electronically challenged so please speak English.

Comment