SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucinda002

Oil in Motor...what do I do now?

lucinda002
18 years ago

Hi,

This is the first time I have posted in the electronics forum and I don't know if any of you have an answer for me. I just bought an Ironrite rotary iron (like your granny used to have). The housing in the back holds the gears that make the iron roll. There is about 6 oz. of oil that goes in the housing. Now the problem...

I bought this from someone who didn't know you weren't supposed to lay this ironer on it's side (oil gets in the motor where the doohicky that turns the roller goes from the motor to the housing for the gears). He brought the ironer to me and sure enough, the ironer was on it's back and I could see that oil had leaked out from around the gasket. I can't see into the motor, but I am guessing that some got in there. Can I plug this ironer in and see what happens or do I need to do something else? I am afraid to open up the motor housing to check for oil for fear that I won't be able to get it all back together. Anyone an electric motor enthusiast who lives around the DC area? Anyone have a suggestion?? Thanks in advance for any help with this problem. PS...the original cord needs replacing, as well....

Comment (1)