SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
changeling_gw

Spices- fresh vs dried conversion/ help.

changeling
16 years ago

A whole lot of recipes on this web site (everywhere) call for "FRESH" spices like thyme, rosemary, sage, etc.

I am just trying to learn how to cook things and this complicates things "immensely" for me!

I have bought just about all the major spices that are used in cooking but I don't know how to equate the fresh with the dried. I doubt seriously if I am the only one having this problem but no one seems to address it in a reasonable manner.

Is there some rule of thumb that can be used because I just don't think I'll ever be able to envision a sprig of something to it's dried equivalent and I really don't think I should have to when someone describes a recipe.

I truly realize (I think) that to cook at the height of excellence fresh ingredients will always win, thats just simple logic, but give me a break, how many have the resources to do that, must less run to the grocery store to see if they can find whats necessary!

Face it! This is a dried spices world now for probably 90% or more of the people on Earth.

Please give dried equivalents to your recipes!

Sorry to rant but it is just common sense.

Comments (2)