SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Can TV for kitchen double as computer yet?? Technology status?

celticmoon
18 years ago

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.

We have cable TV (non digital) and cable internet so crossing over to all digital is an option.

I have a newer Dell desktop in an adjacent study that I recall has the capacity to drive a small TV - though I did not opt for a TV tuner in my configuration on that unit.

I've researched TVs and a medium TV screen would be fine for the kitchen. 24-30 LCD with cable card would be a nice option. Or a thinner CRT if it goes in a corner and we pass on digital for now.

Questions: how close is technology to integrating the TV and computer elements of family life? Should I be looking to plan and run display screen cable from a desk area to the TV? Someone posted their new Sony had a USB port but it sounded more for viewing picture files than for internet- is USB how this will go? Or will it be wireless like the router for my laptop?

I'm not qiute getting what I need with a search here. Is there a place on the net or a magazine that can get me up to speed on what exists and what to plan for? I see plenty on explaining, say plasma vs. LCD, 1080 blah blah blah, -so I'm pretty clear on the TV issues. And then I see hyper techo geek articles which I cannot at all comprehend about AV cutting edge stuff.

I just want to understand a little better what is available now for integrating these two big areas of cords, screens and cables. I like to have a plan, buy once and ride with that for a decade or two. Thanks!

Comments (9)