SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

butternut squash soup

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

Ok, so I made butternut squash soup last night for the first time. Me, the self-proclaimed vegetable hater! I love it, and had a lot of fun making it. It is really good! I'll link the recipe, but I'm sure most of you have a favorite for this already. I read some of the comments and they said it was bland, but to only use one potato, and to add cinnamon, curry, and nutmeg. I did, plus a couple cloves of garlic. I'm glad because they were great suggestions and made a good soup awesome. I added a little milk and salt and fresh pepper right at the end. I only had one potato to use because the first one was green, and the rest were so badly bruised, it took 5 to make enough to equal one good potato! I thought I'd picked them so carefully this time!

Here are a few pics of the process. I got to use the Bash & Chop prep taxi/bench scraper that I got from my manager's daugher's fund raiser (I had to buy something!). It worked well for scooping, but it wasn't sharp enough to do much chopping. It did work better if I cut at an angle instead of straight down.

Chopping veggies...

I had quite a time getting into the butternut squash and separating the flesh from the peel. I first tried to cut it from the peel as one would a watermelon and that proved difficult and ineffective. Then I remembered the Yoshi peeler and decided it would be easier just to peel. Worked great!

All done. The glass jar of my "big" Breville blender was in the dishwasher and I didn't want to risk cracking it with hot soup, so I employed the KA immersion blender to puree the soup and it worked a treat. I use the "boat motor" more than the big blender just because it is easier to clean up and can go where I need it. This is a great soup, and I will make it again. I always want to have it on hand now. I will double the recipe next time. Some of the pictures on the site where the recipe is are awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: The recipe

Comments (4)