SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicholen_gw

Problem neighbors and being watched by them

NicholeN
10 years ago

Hi I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but I am in need of help with my neighbors. I have lived in this neighborhood for 16 years and have never run into a problem with any of the neighbors until last year. My old neighbors had moved and we received new neighbors next to both side of our house. We never bothered them and continued with our everyday lives. In the household we are all women. I attend high school and my mother is a single mom. We also live with my cousins and their mom. How does this bring in a problem? One day my mom and I were getting out the car from when she picked me up from school and the neighbors also were exiting their car. The husband waved to us and we tried to be friendly and waved back before entering the house. The next day when we arrived home his wife was waiting outside the house and began to walk towards us while yelling. She was screaming at us and speaking in her home language(we weren't able to understand her). My mom immediately placed herself in front of me but the wife continued to yell at us, now in English, using racial slurs and stating that all the women in the house were trying to sleep with her husband. My mom was calm in the moment and tried to speak calmly with her but the wife still insisted on it and as she was fighting with my mom I moved to the side and saw her husband laughing at the front of their house. She eventually left and my mom and I just returned home. Ever since then we try to avoid the husband but he still attempts to flirt with my mom and even me. The wife also continues to harass us but she never bothers us saying we are loud but she continues to talk about how we are a household full of women and that seems to be the only problem she has and I'm not sure why. To add with all this the other new neighbors have been watching us. At first it wasn't noticeable but eventually after a month we began to notice a van that was always in the front yard and never used. We had noticed some people in the car just sitting there. They just ate, talked, and watched us. Whenever we turned to them they would just turn their head all the way back. Once while I was walking back to the house I heard the men in the van talking and one of them said "Hey did she cut her hair? It's at her shoulder now," and that day was the same day i got my hair cut to my shoulders. Another time while i was walking home I heard voices again so I stopped and looked around and heard "She's been looking around a lot lately" and when I turned to the van the men just turned their heads away. Even my mom has experienced it along with my aunts and cousins. Also when my grandparents dropped me off at my house I saw the men from the van again but this time they were outside and talking. While I was walking into the house I turned and noticed them staring at me. Later I heard a ring at the door and when I went to see who it was it was them. They said that they needed to use the restroom but I didn't let them. They kept saying that they needed it badly and I continued to say no until they left. We have thought about getting a gun but our aunt does not want one in the house since one of my cousins has autism. My aunts said that we needed a "man of the house" to protect us but I'm not sure if this will solve anything. We also can't move due to money problems and most apartments in our area are full. I'm worried about what could happen to my cousins but I'm also very worried about what could happen to my mom since she is alone at home most of the time when she is not at work. I'm aware that she is an adult but even so things such as house break ins and assaults can happen even to the most cautious people. I'm sorry that the post was long and maybe confusing but some help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (25)