SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof2girls_2006

Terrified of *BEING* a noisy neighbor, need advice pls

momof2girls_2006
17 years ago

Hi, I am new here ~ I'm so glad to have found this forum. I am moving into an apartment in 3 weeks and I am very nervous about it because I do not want to be a noisy neighbor. I guess I am the opposite of the people who don't care~ I am really anxious about being as quiet as possible. My challenges are: I am moving into a 2nd floor apartment (only one available) and I have 2 small children as well as a big dog. I have been trying to teach my girls in advance the meaning of "Quiet Feet" and that there is no jumping, running, hopping, etc. allowed indoors~ only outside, and also how to use a 'quiet voice'. My dog is 5 years old and not wild or jumpy and is not a barker, so I think she'll be okay. The other big issue I worry about is I sing & play acoustic guitar. When I talked to the apt. manager I asked her about the insulation and if she thought this would be a problem. She said the apartments are 'sound insulated' between floors and also there is brick between units. She said they have several tenants who own pianos and never get any complaints so not to worry. But I AM worried because I don't want to be a bad neighbor. I have looked into different types of insulation I can buy to 'soundproof' my bedroom, and even thought of buying carpet tiles to lay on top of the existing carpet, to help block the sound from traveling. Of course I would be considerate and not play in the morning or evening. I even asked the store people where I take lessons for advice and they kind of laughed at me, like I'm being too paranoid, and said not to worry since it's only acoustic~ they thought electric guitars would be an issue, but not acoustic. My last issue is I own a treadmill, but based on the posts I've read here it sounds like that is a bad idea all around so I think I'm going to sell it at Play It Again Sports and take up walking outside.

I plan on introducing myself to the downstairs neighbor and asking her to please let me know if we ever are disturbing her~ I want to be a good neighbor and would really be upset if I caused any irritation to anyone living around me. Do you have any other suggestions what I can try to keep noise to a minimum? I think I'll be afraid to breathe once I'm in there!! (PS I realize a house would be better for my situation but unfortunately I can only afford an apartment right now). Thanks for any help.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor