SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
songsearch

Being A Good Neighbor

9 years ago

Here's what being a good neighbor gets you: squat.

We live in a remote location; it's 30 miles to the grocery store. A driveway off the pavement about 1/10th of a mile long, six subdivided lots in neigborhood, next to a river, surrounded by national forest. Perfect location, right?

It would be, except for neighbors.

We've bent over backwards for years, trying to be good neighbors. I keep the driveway graded with my tractor at my own expense, never have asked anyone to contribute gas, oil, anything at all. I just do it, because I'm the one with a tractor, and that's what good neighbors do. I and another neighbor are the only full-timers, the others are weekenders, vacation weekenders. I lend a hand, or a tractor pull, lend tools, sprinkler parts, whatever is needed, because we are a long way from the hardware store, and because it's the right thing to do.

The upstream neighbors are citi-folk, and I've done what I can to help them when possible, even allowed them access to my private road so they could get to the steep-hill part of their property that would otherwise be unaccessible.

The previous upstream owners allowed me to put a 2" line across their property to the river to feed my pond, which is also my irrigation water.

Today, the new neighbors told me that they are going to landscape over the area where my water line runs, and my pond/irrigation line will be cut off. I asked if I could replace it after the work is finished - nope, even though it will be buried, out of sight, and even though their power lines run across my property, and I maintain the common driveway at no cost to them, and I keep an eye on their house when they are not around (which is most of the time). I even help them out watering and cutting their lawn when they are gone for long periods (with their permission, of course).

That's what I get for being a good neighbor.

No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Comments (28)