SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

A Tale of Two Builders

sweeby
16 years ago

I thought I'd share this little true story for those of you planning to build in the future.

Our neighborhood is undergoing a massive redevelopment, with small houses being torn down right and left and much larger ones being built in their places. In fact, the house next door to ours and the one right across the street are both being replaced.

One day, I hear a knock on the door and who's there but Builder A. He apologizes for interrupting my afternoon, but wanted to let me know personally that his company would be building a new house next door. He wanted me to know that a certain amount of construction mess would be inevitable, but that keeping a clean work site and being a good neighbor were very important to him, and that he would be diligent about making sure his crews were as neat, quiet and polite as possible. Also, he hoped I would let him know personally if we encountered any problems with his crews or subcontractors. He then left me a business card and went on his way.

Several days later, I received a card from the post office indicating they had a package for me from Builder B that I needed to come down to the post office and sign for. So I interrupted my afternoon to drive over to the post office, and what did I find there but a registered letter:

Dear Resident, (yes, 'Resident')

This letter is to officially notify you that we will be building a house at ______ Street. Any questions can be directed to my office at ____.

Sincerely,

Builder B

I'm left to wonder: Do I need to call my lawyer? Should I check with the city to see what my timeline is for filing a protest? What it is I need to protest about?

Meanwhile, Builder A has been diligently working on the house next door for several months. Yes, there's a bit of a mess there - OK, a big mess! - but we understand he's doing his best, and willingly cut him some slack. In turn, he offered to let us dispose of some of our own construction debris in his dumpster, saving us some money and a trip to the dump. There have been times when he's had more people working on site than there is room for in our little tiny street, so we've happily offered to allow his workmen to park in a portion of our driveway. And when his fencing crew set out to replace the fence separating his lot from our backyard, we had a very cordial discussion and he was happy to relocate the fence back 3 feet his way so it would again be on the property line. A new problem with water runoff was handled quickly and pleasantly when his people regraded the lot to prevent backflow onto our property. And when some prospective buyers came to look at the house, I told them how professional the builder was, and that it looked like he was doing a good job on the new house.

Builder B has yet to break ground. And I sure hope he doesn't need anything from us, because I'm still ticked off about having to trek down to the post office just to retrieve his 'legal notice'. How difficult? How expensive would it have been to send a nicely worded letter that satisfied the legal requirements? (There must be some, right? His letter sure made me want to check.) Maybe a gift certificate to a local restaurant, bottle of wine, or fruit basket? I'm not much of a fruit eater, but I'd have happily driven down to the post office to fetch one. And then his workmen could expect the same level of consideration Builder A is getting... Hmmm - Wonder if we can make him move the road? It's a private road located 10 feet too far onto our lot...

Future homebuilders -- Take notice!

Comments (11)