SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

GTKY - Random questions.

golddust
13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?

2. Do you live in an urban or rural area?

3. What was the last item you purchased other than food?

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper?

5. Who called you on the phone last?

6. What is your favorite TV show?

7. What is your favorite TV news source?

8. Credit or Debt?

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags?

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why?

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ???

12. What is your favorite online shopping source?

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff?

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural?

15. Do you keep a journal?

16. Do you have a bucket list?

17. What is your least favorite chore?

18. What book are you reading?

Comments (44)

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm happy to have a mental diversion this afternoon, so I'll certainly play!

1. Coffee, tea or soda? Coffee in the morning, Diet Coke in the afternoon.

2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? Semi-urban. On the edge of downtown, but in a heavily wooded enclave of older homes.

3. What was the last item you purchased other than food? A new washing machine.

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? No. Used to, but didn't take the time to read it.

5. Who called you on the phone last? My neighbor.

6. What is your favorite TV show? Right now, "Outnumbered", a British comedy.

7. What is your favorite TV news source? I don't watch news on the telly.

8. Credit or Debt? Definitely debit.

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? Plastic bags that see double-duty as cat poop containers when we scoop the litter boxes.

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Goodwill or Salvation Army; both are nearby.

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? Target, usually.

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? Amazon.com. I can find almost anything I need there, and shipping is fast and free.

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? Depends on what's going on in my life at any given point in time, but typically it's 1) house, 2) clothes, 3) shoes.

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? Professional lowlights and highlights, and I'm overdue.

15. Do you keep a journal? I was blogging regularly, but haven't done so in awhile.

16. Do you have a bucket list? Not really. I try to establish a few unique things to do annually though.

17. What is your least favorite chore? Dusting.

18. What book are you reading? The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?

Hot tea, sweet tea or Coke.

Rural, but 12 minutes from civilization.

A vintage pine hutch for DD2's 23rd birthday this week.

Local paper - Wed, Fri, Sat, Sunday

DS who lives in Chicago.

Just one?!

None

8. Credit or Debt?

Credit, and I pay balance in full each month.

BYOB, pretty large floral ones from Pier 1. Someone always asks where I purchased.

Local that supports a children's youth home.

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ???

Locally owned

etsy - vintage for house, Ralph Lauren - clothes

House!!!

Professional, every three weeks

No way

Not written down

Cleaning the toliets

The Soul of a House by Chris Madden (non-fiction)
    and
    I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron

• Related Discussions

Our Own Personal Dieting Food & Drink Land Mines: a GTKY

Q

Comments (22)
    1) When you're hungry and wanting a snack, are you more likely to crave a sweet or salty/spicy snack? if it's the daytime, something salty/spicy... late at night after dinner, then usually something sweet. 2) The 3 junk-type foods that are hardest for you to resist: doritos LOVE tostitos with either a good con queso dip or guacomole-i can eat many calories with those! chewy candy--swedish fish, twizzlers, gummy lifesaves, etc. or peppermint patties. 3) Complete the following sentence: Do NOT bring any ________ into this house, because I can (will?) personally eat all of it . . . or at least waaay too much! i'm really good if it's in the house UNOPENED! lol. i usually can resist opening something, but once it's open, forget it-usually doritos, etc. 4) Although you may not eat at fast food restaurants a lot, what are your 3 favorite yummy-but-not-very-good-for you foods and from where? i really hardly ever eat fast food, but if i do i tend to order the 'wraps'... mcdonalds have them and wendy's have the chicken caeser wraps which i'll eat. i'm not big into burgers and only like the fries if they're HOT and CRISPY, which is often so hit and miss that i don't bother! 5) At nicer restaurants, what 2 or 3 foods do you have to force yourself not to order? i'll often pass on the french onion soup and choose something healthier even though i LOVE a good french onion soup crock with melted cheese and crusty bread!! i love all pastas, but will steer away sometimes to order something lighter. i love a really good carrot cake and if i see someplace has one that looks REALLY good, it's hard to pass! 6) Favorite comfort foods at home that are (sigh!) yummy but fat and/or calories-wise not that great for you or your waistline? i love making/eating pasta carbonara, but only do so occasionally. love creamy soups---buying fat free half and half makes me feels better but they still often have butter...(currently have broccoli and cheese soup leftover in the fridge--YUM!!) LOVE fruit pies/cobblers. 7) Favorite drink that you wish was "no calorie"? sweet drinks like margaritas sweet wines, like white zinfandel-love it! love chocolate coffee creamers---would be great if they were 0 calorie and still tasted great!! 8) What are 3 of your favorite "more healthful foods" to (try and) fall back on when the cravings hit? i guess popcorn is better than chips, but i usually don't really fall back on it... i buy those mini flavored rice cakes and feel better about those! i often will order fish or salad in restaurants- to either avoid fat or increase my veggie consumption! will order sorbet at the end of a meal when i'm really craving a dessert, but don't want the calories. 9) Favorite more healthful drinks? peppermint tea (with honey), icewater.
    ...See More

Random Question: Hanging Baskets

Q

Comments (11)
    In my first kitchen (that would've been 400 years ago, give or take a few hundred years), due to lack of space I had a wire 3-tier basket for hanging fruits. Honestly? Never again. Fruit degraded quickly, fruit flies swarmed, baskets got gunky and needed emptying and cleaning constantly. The swinging didn't bother me, but it hung over a peninsula, and was very obstructive (kinda like playing peek-a-boo with people on the other side). I hit it a few times, but that was ok. I liked the look of it back then. Not so much now. Lastly, I occasionally let a fruit of two go bad before getting to it.. people saw that. Now, my fruit stays in the fridge, lasts longer, and if I forget about something, it gets whisked away in secret, no one else the wiser : - )
    ...See More

very random fabric/laundry question

Q

Comments (10)
    This may not be helpful since the pj's have already been laundered but one of my kids was involved in a "Color Dust" fund raiser and I think this is the product that was used. We didn't keep any of the shirts so I can't vouch for the effectiveness. ...................Clothing: The color mostly washes out after events. Wearing your white Color-A-Thon™ t-shirt is not only fun but it keeps your participants from ruining “good” clothes. Instruct participants to wear shoes that they won’t mind getting dirty. The Color Dust is expected to wash out of clothing and off of shoes but depending on the type of clothing, how long the dust sits on the clothing and the different methods of washing clothes, cleaning results may vary. Wash all clothes in a separate load on cold wash and rinse. If participants would like to preserve the color in their shirt, spray it with vinegar and iron. ........................... https://schoolathon.org/color-dust-information/ I think I'd use a pressing cloth rather than place my iron directly on the fabric.
    ...See More

Very random question!

Q

Comments (3)
    I am a life long New Yorker and depending on the parents income in NYC some actually take babies home on public transport. However, most take a cab or car service home. My own rather wealth nephew and wife walked home from the hospital. They lived about 10 blocks from the hospital. Some people have cars or family members drive them home. I know of one charity that provides car seats to low income parents. ETA, NY Taxis are exempt from car seat laws.
    ...See More
  • deeinohio
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Water

Urban

Pot of hyacinth bulbs

Yes, two. I often just read them online, but feel a personal obligation to support this dying industry.

DS

The Office. I am in pre-mourning at the loss of Steve Carell.

HLN

8. Credit or Debt?
    Debit card used as credit

Plastic. Like Jen, ours do double-duty as kitty litter cleaning bags.

Goodwill. I like that it provides jobs to those who are challenged.

Usually the mall, though it's very infrequent.

Overstock and Amazon.

House stuff

Home dye.

I used to, but it was compromised years ago and I got out of the habit.

Yes, though not formal. Trips to Hawaii, Africa, and Egypt are on the list.

Toilet.

The Art of Racing in the Rain.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Water mostly, plus occasional Coke & wine

Suburban area, small city

Lightweight cargo pants for traveling

Yes, gotta do my crossword puzzle!

My 24 yo DD

I DVR several - Top Chef, How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock

None are very good, I usually watch CNN in the am
    8. Credit or Debt?
    Both, depending on circumstances

I have my own bags, but rarely remember to bring them

Goodwill, because they have the closest drop off location

Yes ;)

Amazon

wherever I can find what I need

Professionally done for the last few years. I used to be a DIYer

Nope

Not really

Dusting - it never ends!

Sarah's Key - for my book club

• tinam61
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? I usually have a lite vanilla caramel latte on mornings that I work. Water throughout the day and usually iced tea at night. I don't do coffee and rarely sodas.

2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? Rural - could not live in the city.

Sadly, gas, and we even spent a day antiquing last Friday!

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? No

5. Who called you on the phone last? Last night - a neighbor down the road and a friend of hubby's

6. What is your favorite TV show? Don't really have one - I watch very little tv

7. What is your favorite TV news source? Usually only watch our local news in the morning (most national news I get via radio or online)

8. Credit or Debt? Mostly debit but use one credit card (with rewards) - never carry a balance

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? Plastic and recycle or reuse for pup and BYOB also. Just got the cutest one at Petsmart!

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Habitat for Humanity - I like their stores better and how the items are used. Also, they will pick up large items.

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? I hate the mall! I prefer speciality shops - love Steinmart too. Antique shops for home.

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? I still like ebay, find a good bit on etsy and even some department stores, etc. rather than going to one in person.

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? House, clothes, shoes in that order

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? I just do a rinse and do it myself. Otherwise I end up with hooker black. (My hair is dark and grabs color)

15. Do you keep a journal? No, just tons of lists LOL

16. Do you have a bucket list? No. I am impulsive vs. planner and that seems like planning to me.

17. What is your least favorite chore? Vacuuming - hubby usally does it (and a better job too!)

18. What book are you reading? Sadly, nothing. I just ordered two books - one is Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture". Have read/heard parts of it but want to read the whole book.

tina

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? All of the above, but trying to curb my Diet Coke habit.

More urban than rural, but not in the city.

On line, ordered a small ottoman. In person, bought some boring stuff (laundry detergent, dog food, etc) at Target.

Yes.

My son, hoping his after-school obligation was cancelled so he could go to a friend's house. It's snowing like crazy here so a lot of activities are being cancelled. But his was not!

Modern Family. I am also loving American Idol this season.

I don't watch the news on TV.

8. Credit or Debt?
    Credit. But we pay it off each month.

I have my own bags but I often forget them at home. So, usually paper.

I donate to a Vets' association that picks up donations at the house.

I prefer specialty boutiques but sometimes in the name of efficiency, I have to hit the mall.

Probably have to say Amazon. But I do love Etsy, too.

Depends on my mood.

Pro dye job.

No

No but DH and I often talk about the places we'll visit when we retire.

Laundry.

I just finished Kane and Abel based on someone's recommendation here. It wasn't my favorite book, but it was good. Not sure what I'm going to start next! I do have the Nora Ephron book sitting on my nightstand!

• natal
    13 years ago

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? Yes

6. What is your favorite TV show? Modern Family/Good Wife/Brothers & Sisters ... also enjoying AI this year

7. What is your favorite TV news source? CNN

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? Recycle plastic for the litterbox ... same with paper for the indoor recycle bin. Have a couple cloth bags I use if I'm only picking up a few things.

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Goodwill, because it's close.

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? TJ Maxx/Marshall's

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? Natural

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? coffee am diet coke rest of the day
    2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? suburban

3. What was the last item you purchased other than food? crockpot

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? no. read it online

5. Who called you on the phone last? the vendor I am working with on a project for work

6. What is your favorite TV show? tie between Bones and NCIS

7. What is your favorite TV news source? FoxNews Channel

8. Credit or Debt? debit

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? plastic

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Goodwill- they are cleaner, more organized and charge less than Salvation Army.

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? mall or Goodwill, antique shops

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? dont have one

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? house stuff

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? professional
    15. Do you keep a journal? no

16. Do you have a bucket list? had a list for years before the movie.

17. What is your least favorite chore? laundry

18. What book are you reading? something by Jeffrey Deaver.

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Latte, please.

Rural, about 8 minutes from downtown.

Le Creuset tea kettle for Max's girlfriend. Ebay score!!

Two. The Grass Valley Union (6 days) and Sac Bee (7 days). I have to support the dying industry too!

DH, just a couple minutes ago.

Love Parenthood, Modern Family, The Good Wife, Brothers and Sisters and AI.
    (Natal, we could be room mates!)

NPR, CNN.

8. Credit or Debt?

Generally Debt, though I heard it's better to use my Debt card as a credit card. I don't usually.

Usually I bring my own bags but when I forget, it's paper.

I donate to two. Sammie's Friends (animal rescue) and Cancer Aid. Two local thrift stores.

I'm a regular at Costco but other than that, it's either locally owned or Macy's.

Ebay and Amazon.

House.

Home dye for years. I just switched to pro dye and glad I did.

No, sadly.

No.

Laundry.

'Souls of Terror' by Anthony P. Morse. I know the author and am vastly familiar with the new age group, so it's been fun guessing who inspired the different characters.

• camlan
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? Tea

2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? Urban. I'm less than a block away from the center of town.

3. What was the last item you purchased other than food? Amazon gift card for my sister's birthday present, along with Roman numeral birthday cake candles.

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? No.

5. Who called you on the phone last? My sister.

6. What is your favorite TV show? The Big Bang Theory.

7. What is your favorite TV news source? Don't watch TV news.

8. Credit or Debt? Debt.

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? Bring two of my own bags and get the rest in plastic for litter box duty.

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Goodwill, because they have a drop off station in my supermarket's parking lot.

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? Mostly the stores on Main Street, because I can walk to them.

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? Amazon.

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? House stuff.

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? Professional highlights.

15. Do you keep a journal? No.

16. Do you have a bucket list? No.

17. What is your least favorite chore? Washing the kitchen floor.

18. What book are you reading? The Double Image by Helen McInnes.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    coffee then water

rural between 2 small towns.

a Pashmina scarf for dd's B-day (21 yesterday!) and I will borrow it....

get the local free at work

youngest db just called to see if we made it home ok. What a sweetheart!

the Daily Show and looking forward to next season's Madmen

MSNBC in A.M. The Daily show in the P.M. :) Web in between

8. Credit or Debt?
    usually write a check or cash for personal purchases

Plastic and then recycle them

Wayside Cross Rescue Mission. My parents always used them

I work in a shopping center, so I support my neighbors!

I don't shop for personal stuff online much. I use highpointmarket.com for work a lot

1. Clothes, shoes or house stuff?
      home stuff which is work stuff

home. Not happy about it either

I keep a spiral notebook of phone calls/customer's names/ and any stuff I need to refer back to

1. Do you have a bucket list?
      no

floors

Menace Philip Roth

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?

Coffee in the morning, hot tea in the evenings in winter and iced tea when it's hot. I like iced coffee then too.
    No soda ever. Rots the bones, or so it might be.

Rural. I had to wait for 5 wild turkeys to cross the road this afternoon. Breathtaking!

Bath and Body works stuff this afternoon. Fresh Balsam wallflowers for $2.

We do for my Dad who likes the sports page.

Our pastor to inquire about a cousin who was recently tragically injured. She was hit by a car while crossing at at a crosswalk.

Lost. MI-5, which thankfully is still going on. We got a Netflix episode in the mail today!

Fashion Police

8. Credit or Debt?
    Debit

Plastic but bring my own to Aldi's. I save the plastic bags and use them for lots of things.

Goodwill. It's convenient. Dh likes the tax receipts.

I shop everywhere. Nothing is safe from me.

Amazon, Zappos, Overstock, Pottery Barn, Eddie Bauer, Dillard's....and believe it or not, Site To Store Wal Mart- this is a new thing for me.

All the above and more. It has to do with question number 2.

Home Dye

No. I would be afraid someone would read it and be bored to death.

Not officially but there are a few places I would like to vacation eventually. Vienna, Salzburg, Budapest...

Cleaning the bathroom

Finding Eichmann

• natal
    13 years ago

What is your favorite TV show? Lost.
    I wish it was still on. ;)

What is your favorite TV news source? Fashion Police
    ???

Site To Store Wal Mart
    I've used that a couple times. Pretty cool!

Am I the only one who doesn't color her hair?

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

bumble is cracking me up!
    Fashion Police

If God wanted us to bend over he'd put diamonds on the floor.
    Joan Rivers

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    * coffee with breakfast or dessert; tea the rest of the time

* Rural . . . in the mountains at 6000ft above sea level

*a new pair of jeans

*Yes

* DH, wondering how the weather was up here (snowstorm here): Bad!

* "Today Show" (all of it) and "Psych"

Fox & Friends/ News and the NBC Nightly News (I'm somewhat of a news junkie)

8. Credit or Debt?
    * Credit, but we have only one card and pay it off in full every month

* Bring my own bags

* a local free store. I like that people who need something, can get it for nothing and save their money for other necessities.

* I usually shop at a fairly new outdoor mall that has many of my favorite stores.

Coldwater Creek for my clothes; Amazon for books and lots of other things

* Most often, house stuff

* Professional

* My gardening journal has morphed into somewhat of an everything journal over the years

* Yes

* Washing floors, as the entire house has brick floors

* Hoda Kotb's new biography (good book/ great gal!)

• natal
    13 years ago

entire house has brick floors

Lynn, your poor legs!

• natal
    13 years ago

BB & DD, had no idea that was an actual show.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Coffee or flavored waters.

Small Urban and Larger Urban

A very old bright cut tea pot.

I have always hated news print. If I have a phobia it's that...I hate touching the stuff.

My husband.

National Geographic...

Ok really? Almost all of the Real Housewives heh heh

I suppose the Real Housewives aren't news? I get most of my news from the net.

8. Credit or Debt?
    After 20 years in banking...both are great tools if used wisely.

I wish I would remember my bags every time. Plastic, which we reuse for diapers and doggie doo.

Habit for Humanity. It's a great program, a hand up, verses a hand out.

Boutiques. I hate malls.

Shop Goodwill.com and Zulily

House stuff mostly

I dye my hair to match my son's so it appears natural :oP

I have started a blog a couple of times and loose track of where so I suppose that's a no.

No, I try to live in the moment and plan my dreams into that moment as I can.

Hush Mom! (she's laughing) Laundry.

The Victorian Bathroom. It's a page turner LOL Obviously I'm a bit focused on home.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    -Coffee and Diet Pepsi. Water in between.

-Rurban. We're just outside the Urban Growth Boundary.

-Does dog food count? If not, scrapbook paper.

-Not any more, read it online or at work.

-My doctor

-Just started watching "How I Met Your Mother". It's great!

-Today Show.

8. Credit or Debt?
    -Debit, credit for traveling.

-BYOB. I sometimes just hand carry it out, like why do I need a bag for a loaf of bread?

-St. Vincent dePaul, because it's nearby. If I can, I prefer to give to the Humane Society or Friends of Felines.

-Costco is my 2nd home, too. I never go to the mall, unless there is an anchor store I need to go to like Macy's or Nordys.

-Ebay, Amazon or Etsy. Depends on what I'm shopping for.

-House, then pets. Clothes then shoes.

Natural, but occasional home when the gray starts to get out of hand.

-No. Never could get into that. But now I'm doing scrapbooks so I do some journaling for that. Journal-lite.

-Sort of, but not written.

-Grocery shopping. I'll clean toilets if someone would grocery shop for me.

Eyes of Prey by John Stanford. Good thriller author.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?

Coffee, but in moderation: a cup w/breakfast, one at work. Otherwise I drink water

(Sub)urban? Just outside a city

My weekly Target run: reading glasses, shave cream, and soap

Yes, couldn't get started in the morning without it

My SIL, we're commiserating about dealing with our MIL lately

Another Office fan

NBC Nightly News

8. Credit or Debt?

Debit for very small expenses, credit for almost everything else- bill paid in full monthly

Both-the paper bags go inside the plastic, and those are our garbage can liners

Goodwill if I deliver, Salvation Army for pick up

The mall but I'm not a shopper. Really don't enjoy shopping too much as a recreational sport :)

Amazon. With Prime Shipping it's like having the super emporium open 24/7

House

Professional highlights. Money extremely well spent, would never do my own

No

No and can't stand that a dumb movie inspired a term that seemingly is an instant classic

17. What is your least favorite chore

Cleaning bathrooms, although I do love a spotless loo

Left Neglected, seems like it will be a good read

• bestyears
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? Coffee
    2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? urban

3. What was the last item you purchased other than food? fabric

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? yes

5. Who called you on the phone last? a girlfriend

6. What is your favorite TV show? Glee

7. What is your favorite TV news source? NPR

8. Credit or Debt? Debit

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? bring my own

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Second Mile

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? Amazon

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? house stuff

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? home dye

15. Do you keep a journal? Not anymore, but did for a long time

16. Do you have a bucket list? no

17. What is your least favorite chore? paying bills

18. What book are you reading? Deadly Spin

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Natal, I have the last season of Lost recorded and sometimes I listen to episodes while doing housework. It's comforting to see ol' Hurley again. I watched What They Died For the other day.
    The Site to Store is great because now I don't have to go to 3 Wal Marts looking for something.

DeeDee, heh heh, glad you chuckled!

I'm looking up everyone's books, I've read about half mentioned here.

Lyn,, I sure hope you have a steam mop!

Pesky, I would gladly grocery shop for you, I love grocery shopping!

• kristine_ca
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Coffee (decaf in the evening!)

suburbs

potting soil...

Yes: the LA Times

5. Who called you on the phone last? a neighbor

Friday Night Lights (could the guy that plays Tim Riggins BE any cuter?)

7. What is your favorite TV news source? none

8. Credit or Debt? debit, most of the time

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? BYOB

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Goodwill (close by drop off) and the county rescue mission

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? mostly the mall-it's very large

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? JJill

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? Clothes!

professional, baby

15. Do you keep a journal? nope

16. Do you have a bucket list? nope

17. What is your least favorite chore? do you mean of the ones I remember to do? Emptying the dishwasher.

18. What book are you reading? "Cutting for Stone" and "Wolf Hall"

• les917
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?

Coffee, no question. Tea with Chinese food. Never pop.

Suburban - outside Chi-town

Toothpaste

Did until we had to cut back when DH lost his job. Now just get Sunday

FIL's neighbor called to let us know the power was out in their neighborhood so we could check on him.

Probably The Good Wife for many reasons, but a big one is Eli Gould (Alan Cumming)

I split my time between CNN and MSNBC on line.

8. Credit or Debt?

Debt, but controlled - new roof and a used car.

Plastic and bring my own.

Generally don't donate to thrift stores.

I rarely shop in person, except for groceries and my Merle Norman cosmetics, and then Hobby Lobby.

Amazon.com

House stuff.

Home dye.

Not any more. Did years ago.

Yes, I suppose, but it is short - move someplace warm, and someday start a business related to home decorating and re-arrangement and floral design

7. What is your least favorite chore?

Tie between dusting and vacuuming.

Some paperback my mom passed along. Not great, but I read it at work during lunch. May abandon it, tho. Lots of books lined up behind it.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?

coffee! occasionally peppermint tea, or diet root beer.

Suburban

some knives

2---our local and the city's

my husband

love to watch glee, american idol, and chopped with my youngest son.

don't often watch tv news

8. Credit or Debt?

credit

Plastic most often-use to line bathroom trashcans, and for kitty litter/dog poop. i get paper occa specifically for newpaper recycling!

i usually call purple heart

both

Amazon and territory ahead

clothes most often---for one of us-usually for a kid!

Home dye most often---most convenient!

Not any more. Did years ago.

sort of---in my mind

housecleaning---is that too broad???!

just finished 'how to be an american housewife'

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Coffee & tea. I drink them both equally.
    Suburban. Deer & turkey in my backyard. Target a 1/2 mile away.
    A $5 nightstand off craigslist.
    I subscribe to the Sunday paper. They deliver the paper every day, though. Weird, I know.
    DS1's friend's mom. Asking if DS2 and I wanted to go sledding. DS1 had slept over there and they were all going, his friend has a little brother about DS2's age.
    I never miss Grey's Anatomy and the whole family watches Chuck.
    I read my news on the web and in the paper.
    8. Credit or Debt?
    not usually
    Bring my own.
    Salvation Army, because they're close.
    It depends on what I'm getting. Kohls & Target for the kids' stuff. Antique shops & Home Goods for home stuff. I don't remember the last time I bought myself anything in person.
    Victoria's Secret
    You all have seen my shoe closet. House stuff is a close second.
    natural
    I keep a blog. Does that count?
    I do. Running a marathon, making my own yogurt, and learning to crochet are some of the things on the list.
    Matching up socks. If I ever win the lottery, I'll just donate them after they're worn once. Really hate it that much.
    The newest book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? Tea, tea & more tea. Green in the morning, ginger in the afternoon, Sleepytime at night.

2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? Suburbia.

3. What was the last item you purchased other than food? Not an "item" but does a service count? Yesterday had my trees pruned. $896.00.

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? Yes, The Virginian Pilot.

5. Who called you on the phone last? My dh.

6. What is your favorite TV show? I don't watch TV, except for news. The last "TV show" I watched was "Thirtysomething." I wasn't yet 30 myself. Think that was 1989?

7. What is your favorite TV news source? I'm a news junkie. I watch 'em all.

8. Credit or Debt? Neither. Checks and cash.

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? Plastic, which I recycle many times over on my own.

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? A nearby thrift store that funds shelters for the homeless.

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? Lowes and Home Depot!

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? Amazon

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? That's easy-the house always wins!

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? Au naturelle.

16. Do you have a bucket list? No, just take it one day at a time.

17. What is your least favorite chore? Changing kitty litter/getting the trash out. Not because it's stinky, but because it hurts my back to lift!

18. What book are you reading? Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling, by Ross King.

• hhireno
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Tea, never coffee or soda. I love the aroma of coffee but don't care for the taste. Growing up we could only have ginger ale if we were sick so I never developed a taste for soda and I associate it with sickness.

Suburbs

Nine section cubical storage unit, that I put together myself. The unfinished back edge showed a smidgen beyond the wall, so I painted it with black craft paint. I felt like such a gardenwebber: putting it together, figuring out a simple solution to the little problem. I've learned so much here!

Yes

My oldest sister

The Simpsons, but I also really like Modern Family, 30 Rock & The Big Bang Theory

Never watch the news on tv

8. Credit or Debt?
    Mostly debit, then cash, then credit

Bring my own, I keep them in the car which increases the odds I'll remember to bring them into the store. If I do forget them, I get plastic bags because they have so many other uses.

Household goods to the people who will pick up or the conveniently located place with the drop off shed. Both agencies provide general social services. Any clothing goes to a religious based organization that provides services for women.

For clothes, the mall I guess but I rarely walk through the whole mall, I just go to one or 2 stores.
    For my infrequent book purchases (I'm a library person), I buy from a local book store that claims to be the oldest continually operating book store in the US.
    For gift items & decorative items, specialty stores (including the above book store).

I think the only thing I've ever purchased online was from the Rick Steves Travel site.

I think I buy equal amounts of house stuff & clothes, but it's not a whole lot of either.

Professionally done. When my current guy retires I think my DH will be shocked how much more I'll have to spend at a new place (based on what my friends & sister pay at other salons).

No

No

I guess it's when I have to wash the pots & pans & mess I made cooking dinner on the nights my DH doesn't do it. After cooking & eating, I just want to sit down & relax and not have more work to do.

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. I would highly recommend it.
    For book club I have to re-read A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell. I remember I liked it very much but I won't remember enough details for discussion unless I re-read it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    * Tea

*Urban/suburban-woods behind house

*Uggs moccasins as slippers

*Washington Post and NY Times

Friend of 47 years
    * 6. What is your favorite TV show?
    *PBS Mystery!

*MSNBC or PBS, although will watch ABC, CBS, and NBC

8. Credit or Debt?
    *cash or check

*bring my own

*Vietnam Vets-DH served in the USAF during the war.

*hate to shop. When I have to doesn't matter where.

* Naylor's Creek Nursery-heck, just about any nursery.

*house-also garden

*natural. Hoping to go gray , but only three gray hairs so far-dad didn't go gray until his late 70s, so that may be my fate.

*not a chance-except the home/school ones I use to communicate with parents of students.

*no

*baseboards (see Joan Rivers quote above-teehee)

*Citizens of London by Lynne Olsen about Americans in England during the Second World War, The Hunger Games (first in a trilogy for young adults that other teachers have said they can't put down-about to start it this weekend), and always have at least one Tolkien book on the bedside table which I read over and over).

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? all of the above

2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? urban, smack downtown

IS Clinical face cleanser today

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? no, I read online

5. Who called you on the phone last? golf buddy

6. What is your favorite TV show? Big Love / Damages

7. What is your favorite TV news source? no favorite
    8. Credit or Debt? both

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? plastic mostly

I donate to people I know

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? both although I prefer small shops

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? zappos

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? all of them, add purses to the lot

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? pro dyed

15. Do you keep a journal? no

16. Do you have a bucket list? no

17. What is your least favorite chore? ironing ( I never do it)

18. What book are you reading? I'm starting "Think Twice" by L. Scottoline

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Cyn427, I can relate to your comment, "I hate to shop." (Except for at garden centers, that is!)I checked out Naylor's Nursery. They only sell shade plants? That's nice though, they must have awesome hostas, astilbe, etc. Have you seen White Flower Farm's site? I love finding sources that sell unusual plants.

Also, I noticed you watch PBS Mystery! I used to watch that religiously years ago! Didn't know it was still around. Will look for it on my local PBS station.

Golddust, hope you don't mind brief comments interjected between GTKY profiles!

• golddust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stinky, I love the interjected comments. Besides, I don't feel like I own the thread.

• texanjana
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Yes

Urban

Eye makeup remover

Yes

DH

Glee

None

8. Credit or Debt?
    Debit

Bring my own

Goodwill, drive through drop off

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ?
    I prefer locally-owned, but also like Nordstrom.

Zappos, Amazon

Shoes, books

Natural right now

Yes, and it has helped me so much.

No

Floors

I just finished The Memory Palace by Mira Bartok, a true account of growing up with a paranoid schizophrenic mother.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Golddust. That helps me to GTKY...I don't like to make assumptions!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?

Coffee

Rural

Med Refills

Did, but the lady quit and no one's taken her job.

BIL

Grey's Anatomy

There aren't any good one's, IMO.

8. Credit or Debt?

I don't understand. lol

Plastic

Salvation Army

Specialty shops

Amazon

House stuff

Professional

No way.

No

Cleaning the tub

I'm getting ready to start "She's Come Undone."

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Diet Green Tea/Urban/Train ticket/Wall Street Journal/Significant Other/No favorite/No favorite/Credit used as Debit/Canvas bags--they charge here if you use their bags/Thrift for AIDS because they take your stuff without turning their noses up at it/Specialty Stores/Any online shopping source/House/Natural/No Journal/No, just regrets/Taking out garbage/PreCalculus textbook, Dreamcatcher by Stephen King (both free at train station) and Washington Square by Henry James.

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

Enjoying GTKY, OK, I'll play, even though I'm a marketingresearchaphobe...

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Coffee only with Bailey's, Sweet Tea, please mam and Dr Pepper, the one in the 8oz bottle made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar instead of icky corn syrup, phffthhtthhhh!

Suburban, planned, golf course community owned by the city, complete with "experimental outdoor mall", LOL! I really like it though.

A new everyday plastic pitcher and Pinelogs (they're all I can use due to DH's allergies).

No, gave that up a few years ago. Hated to do it since I'm a print designer, but it was a matter of economics, not principles.

My sweet friend, Marti.

Hell's Kitchen

Fox, local or FNC.

8. Credit or Debt?
    Debit for the most part.

Own bags (one of my stores now sports a reminder painted on the corner of parking spaces to remind you of your bags, LOL!)

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Goodwill if I deliver.
    SA if I want them to pick up.

Specialty boutiques, rarely the mall.

Amazon

Duh, house stuff, LOL! I finally gave in somewhat this winter and bought a few clothes/shoes/"foundations"...

Professional dye'n chisel ;-)

Have one, don't keep, should have been a NY resolution, ha!

I joke about it from time to time, but do I really have a running tally? Nope.

Toilets, I just won't do 'em, 'nuf said!

Just finished Rainwater by Sandra Brown (smarmy love story, but interesting because I love depression era novels), just started Witch & Wizard by James Patterson, my first JP novel, jury's still out.

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? None of these.
    2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? Deep country.

3. What was the last item you purchased other than food? I don't buy much stuff, so it was probably a book, though I'm getting ready to put my seed and gardening orders in this weekend.

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? Wall Street Journal.

5. Who called you on the phone last? Can't remember as I get only half a dozen (or fewer) calls per year - our landline phone ringer is permanently off, and I never turn on my cell except to make a call.

6. What is your favorite TV show? Nova.

7. What is your favorite TV news source? PBS News Hour.

8. Credit or Debt? Credit only.

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? All of the above, plus cardboard boxes at my food coop.

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Don't donate, but I buy things at Goodwill.

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? Does Home Depot count?

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? Don't shop online.

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? Only when necessity drives me to it.

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? Have never colored my hair.

16. Do you have a bucket list? No.

17. What is your least favorite chore? Taking one of the animals to the vet.

18. What book are you reading? Inside the mind of a shopper; the science of retailing by Sorenson.

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Coffee but I've been drinking a lot of Chai green tea lately.

Just barely inside the city limits of a small town in a neighborhood. I think that means suburban.

A kettlebell dvd

online edition of the Dallas Morning News

My sister. She calls about three times a day.

Top Chef, Biggest Loser, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, 30 Rock

None

8. Credit or Debt?
    AMEX because it's linked to a HY savings account. Then debit then credit.

My own bags. Whole Foods are my favorite because they are nice and big and square.

Goodwill because it's convenient.

I guess the mall but very very infrequently.

Amazon, Sundance, Garnite Hill, Anthropologie, Williams-Sonoma

Toss up between house and clothes.

Balayage hair color every six weeks.

Heck no!

Nope. It would be too long.

Changing sheets & cleaning up dog puke.

Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy (my favorite)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, one on-topic. Your question about hair must have affected me. I went for highlights today. Now I remember why I had gone back to natural. Wonder how long before this grows out! HA.

Stinky, my yard has too many trees to be anything but part shade at best! I love to look through White Flower Farms catalogue, but find other places to have better plants. Mostly I buy local except for hostas. Saw you are in VA-me, too. I am outside DC. Are you any where near? If so, send me an email. We can go to Behnke's or Merrifield Nursery together come Spring!

Mystery is not on regularly any more. I miss it. They did run a couple months worth of new ones last year and I hope they come back with more soon.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, one on-topic. Your question about hair must have affected me. I went for highlights today. Now I remember why I had gone back to natural. Wonder how long before this grows out! HA.

Stinky, my yard has too many trees to be anything but part shade at best! I love to look through White Flower Farms catalogue, but find other places to have better plants. Mostly I buy local except for hostas. Saw you are in VA-me, too. I am outside DC. Are you any where near? If so, send me an email. We can go to Behnke's or Merrifield Nursery together come Spring!

Mystery is not on regularly any more. I miss it. They did run a couple months worth of new ones last year and I hope they come back with more soon.

• rucnmom
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda? coffee
    2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? rural

3. What was the last item you purchased other than food? Pierre Deux christmas stocking on sale for $14.40

4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? No

5. Who called you on the phone last? Husband

6. What is your favorite TV show? Royal Pains

7. What is your favorite TV news source? I browse the major networks - no fav

8. Credit or Debt? debit

9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? plastic

10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? St. Vincent de Paul; bin at church

11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? mall

12. What is your favorite online shopping source? Don't have a fave

13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? Nothing in particular

14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? Professional

15. Do you keep a journal? No

16. Do you have a bucket list? No

17. What is your least favorite chore? Cleaning bathroom

Winter Garden

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Cyn427, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods! There's so much there. I live in Southeastern VA, in VA Beach. Otherwise, I'd love to browse the garden centers with you! Bet those in your area are fabulous!

Maybe you just need to get used to your hair? You have such a pretty hair color. It has a lot of auburn in it, doesn't it? Give it a few days (& a few shampoos) & see if it doesn't grow on you. No pun intended!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

1. Coffee, tea or soda?
    Tea or pero

It's suburban out the front door....open woods for miles out the back door.

A Telephony modem.

No

Dh

Survivor & Amazing Race.

World news.

8. Credit or Debt?
    credit, love those bonus points!

Bring my own

ARC I stop in there once a week. It's in the same strip mall as the grocery store.

Home Depot or a fabric store! :0)

Ebay, Overstock or Amazon

I buy running shoes, hiking boots and decorating stuff.

Home dye

Only when I was required to in college, in a Psych 101 class.

Yes. Most are places I could drive to and photograph IF DH would take the time off to go with me. Camping spots.

Mowing the lawn

Twice Bitten