SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Our Own Personal Dieting Food & Drink Land Mines: a GTKY

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

Don't you hate it when you end up grocery shopping while you're hungry? I know better than that . . . but there I was today, cruising through my giant grocery store trying to fight off buying a lot of yummy looking junk foods that I definitely don't need . . . but they sure were calling my name! Although I don't "go on diets", middle age has me now constantly watching what I eat in an effort to keep the extra weight off. Not fun, but it seems to ~unfortunately~ go with the territory ;^D

Sooooo, this is a little GTKY about your own personal food land mines.

You know the drill: copy the questions below, paste them into your post, answer the questions and let's compare notes.

Lynn

1) When you're hungry and wanting a snack, are you more likely to crave a sweet or salty/spicy snack?

2) The 3 junk-type foods that are hardest for you to resist:

3) Complete the following sentence: Do NOT bring any ________ into this house, because I can (will?) personally eat all of it . . . or at least waaay too much!

4) Although you may not eat at fast food restaurants a lot, what are your 3 favorite yummy-but-not-very-good-for you foods and from where?

5) At nicer restaurants, what 2 or 3 foods do you have to force yourself not to order?

6) Favorite comfort foods at home that are (sigh!) yummy but fat and/or calories-wise not that great for you or your waistline?

7) Favorite drink that you wish was "no calorie"?

8) What are 3 of your favorite "more healthful foods" to (try and) fall back on when the cravings hit?

9) Favorite more healthful drinks?

Comments (22)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

1) When you're hungry and wanting a snack, are you more likely to crave a sweet or salty/spicy snack?
    Sweet - dark chocolate

Soft cheezies (The only one)

3) Dark chocolate (especially Dark chocolate hedgehogs)

4) Although you may not eat at fast food restaurants a lot, what are your 3 favorite yummy-but-not-very-good-for you foods and from where?

Pizza from Panago, hamburgers from the White Spot (A western Canadian long-time mainstay restaurant)

5) At nicer restaurants, what 2 or 3 foods do you have to force yourself not to order?

Caesar Salad

6) Favorite comfort foods at home that are (sigh!) yummy but fat and/or calories-wise not that great for you or your waistline?
    Dark chocolate

White wine and milkshakes from the White Spot

8) What are 3 of your favorite "more healthful foods" to (try and) fall back on when the cravings hit?

Applesauce, grapefruit, stir-fry vegies.

Milk (love milk) and depending on what the latest study says about caffeine - I am a coffee drinker.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Ahh, how timely, since my house is full of Halloween candy! Talk about a land mine!

Almost always sweet. But I also get cravings for chip-and-dip scenarios.

- Candy. Especially stuff like jelly beans, swedish fish, Hot Tamales, gummy whatevers...
    - Donuts. I have to have a big conversation with myself whenever I'm waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee.
    - Good old fashioned chips and onion dip.

3) Complete the following sentence: Do NOT bring any ________ into this house, because I can (will?) personally eat all of it . . . or at least waaay too much!
    - I will not buy Oreos any more. And I never buy potato chips.

- I had an unfortunate hangover a couple of weeks ago and HAD to have a Whopper (Jr.) and fries. I'm not proud of it. Can't remember the last time I had one but ohhhh, it was good.
    - Any fast food establishment's fries. I don't discriminate.
    - Filet o' Fish. I think that's McDonalds.

- Creme Brulee.
    - A restaurant near us has an item on its dessert menu that has a fancy name but it's basically balls of fried dough with a bowl of hot fudge for dipping. It's evil. And so good.
    - Anything fried. I always regret it later.

- Lasagna.
    - Spaghetti and meatballs.
    - Homemade cakes, cookies, pies...

- Frozen summery drinks that I indulge in when we're on tropical vacations. Pina coladas, etc.
    - Pumpkin lattes (or whatever they're called) at Starbucks.

- I satisfy the chip/dip craving sometimes with multigrain chips and spinach dip. Still have to control myself, though!
    - Weight Watchers brand little packaged cakes.
    - Hot chocolate -- satisfies the chocolate urge for fewer calories/fat. Or, chocolate milk.

- Fruity herbal teas.
    - Smoothies.

• Related Discussions

GTKY: My Perfect Lazy Summer Day

Q

Comments (22)
    1.) My perfect summer day would be spent in my (new to me) backyard, relaxing on my back porch. What a lovely realization it is, to know that my own backyard is now my favorite place to be! 2.) I would spend the day reading, and just "being". 3.) I would hear nothing but the neighborhood birds. 4.) I would see the plants I've put in, and the ones that came with the house--always a fun surprise, as what I thought were crocosmia turn out to be glads, etc. 5.) I'd be wearing shorts and a t-shirt, because--let's be realistic--I'm at home, and can dress sloppy if I want! 6.) Ice cold mint water, made with my own mint, would be my drink of choice. If you haven't tried it, make it today! Just put 5-10 sprigs of mint in a pitcher, add water, and mash with the handle of a wooden spoon. Let it sit for at least twenty minutes, then pour over ice. It is also fantastic in water bottles, especially when hiking. 7.) Food would be grilled veggies from the farmer's market. 8.) My companions would be my husband, and the dragonflies and hummingbirds that call my backyard home.
    ...See More

Your personal food/cooking quotes?

Q

Comments (46)
    What a great thread! while these aren"t family quotes, I love them anyway... Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. ~Harriet Van Horne Practice love, like cooking, with reckless abandon ~Life's Little Instruction Book by H. Jackson Brown Jr. Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. ~ Mark Twain One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. ~Virginia Woolf Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat. ~New York Yiddish Proverb
    ...See More

BARF/Raw Food diet

Q

Comments (22)
    The funny thing about my vet - he was reluctant at first to even mention a raw diet. He spent a good long time with me & Tucker when I brought him home from a shelter and we were about 20 minutes onto the visit when we started discussing the pet food recalls which had just occurred at the time. That's when he recommended the holistic pet store in my town - nothing on her shelves has ever been recalled. She also sells the Natural Balance Raw Food line, which I did try but that is definitely pricey. Then, when I asked him what he feeds his own pets, he admitted that he was a cat person and said in a very low voice "but if I had a dog I would feed him raw bones and meat". It was as if he didn't want to be overheard! I guess the rest of the folks that work there don't agree with his philosophy. The phosphorus to calcium ration makes sense, as that will affect the contractility of the heart. Tucker is due for a physical in March so I'll have the first blood panel done then. He can be a gulper at times - I've had to reach down his throat to pull out pieces of beef hide dental chews that were too big to swallow - so I'll watch him carefully with the turkey necks. So far he's been doing great with the chicken legs and beef marrow bone. As for the ground meat & veggie patties, they disappear almost as soon as they go in the bowl. He really took to it quite naturally. He's been following me around like crazy since I started doing this and has a new found respect for me I think :) The only thing I don't like, is when I give him a piece of meat, he takes it into the living room to eat it, which means I'm cleaning & disenfecting the carpet daily. The other funny change, is that when he is eating a piece of meat on the bone, he is very protective of it. He will let me or DH take it out of his mouth, but if one of the cats gets too close, he barks and gives them a warning sneer - which is really funny because at baseline he is very submissive, particularly with the cats whe tend to walk all over him - they can even drink right out of his bowl while he's eating kibble!
    ...See More

New GTKY Kickstart

Q

Comments (52)
    1. GW member? Since 2007. I found this site while googling reviews of Dacor ovens. I had to switch my login name a few years back when I discovered that my neighbor lurked here and repeated my comments to other neighbors. I never said anything that I regretted but I found her actions a little creepy. 2. Coffee. With Skim Plus Fat Free half n half. 3. What color is your bedroom? Right now it's primed and awaiting our decision on color. 4. Coziest or most relaxing room? My family room with a gas Jotul stove. Good for cuddling, watching TV or reading. 5. Do you garden as well as decorate? I garden and pay someone to help me decorate. 6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? It's more like my indoor space is influenced by my outdoors. 7. Fresh or artificial? I grow orchids and there are more than 30 spread throughout the house. When they're blooming I bring them to a more prominent location. Even now after one of the coldest months we've had I have six blooming. 8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? We splurge by purchasing what we want. We research first and then buy - it might be the 2 Sub Zeros in the kitchen or a vintage rug in the foyer. But it could equally be something we found at the local Habitat for Humanity store or at an out of the way 'antique' furniture store that we stumbled upon while on a drive. We look for quality first and then value. For myself? I usually let DH handle those splurges but I did just buy a vintage Hermes scarf - it was a limited release and had a special meaning for me. 9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? Only chapstick if need. Favorite comfort food? Must I limit it to one? Oh well. Mac and Cheese. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? We're having homemade minestrone soup tonight and salad. We had to cancel dinner reservations due to the treacherous ice.
    ...See More
  • lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, here's mine :~)
    ~ definitely salty/spicy

~ *Cheetos (the hard, crunchy kind, not those spongy ones)
    *Chex Mix, although I usually eat only the Wheat Chex and leave the rest
    *Jalapeno Poppers stuffed w cream cheese

~ Win Schuler's Crock-style Bar Cheese. This stuff is so good that I can't keep it in the house because I know I'll end up eating 99% of it!

~ Sonic's onion rings and stuffed jalapenos; Taco Bell's (big) nachos

~ anything with Bearnaise sauce; Eggs Benedict (love them!!!); Buffalo Wild Wings' Buffalo-style chicken wings w Blue cheese dressing

~ homemade mac & cheese
    loaded baked potatoes
    homemade cheddar & beer soup
    hot, homemade bread w butter

~ White Russians; Vanilla Cokes (I'm deathly allergic to artificial sweeteners, but wish I wasn't)

~ mini carrots; Rosemary-flavored Triscuit crackers; dill pickle spears

~ chilled Chardonnay; V-8 with a splash of dill pickle juice; ice water (love it and drink lots every day!)

Lynn

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Salty
    Cheez-it's
    coconut cream pie (real whipped cream)
    tootsie rolls
    Buttered pop corn

3) Complete the following sentence: Do NOT bring any _Cheez-it's_______ into this house, because I can (will?) personally eat all of it . . . or at least waaay too much!

French fries from Milo Burgers
    Bar-Q ribs from the Sunoco gas station in Pell City (These are the best ribs in the free world)
    Vanilla Milkshake from Jacks (large)

Creme bru lay (I'm such a class act that I can't even spell it. But, I can say it and eat the heck out of it.
    Aspargus with hollandaise sauce

Chili
    Big grilled steak
    Chicken and dumplings

Sweet tea

Fiber 1 Chocolate Bar
    A dessert from Weight Watchers (which has rice crispies, peanut butter, FF chocolate pudding, banana, and FF and SF cool whip) You have to make it and actually go to the store, yuck.
    Baked chips

Water

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Usually something filling like meat or a carb. I don't eat a lot of sweets.

Pizza, fritos, nachos

See above

Chick-fil-a original, chicken biscuit, Taco Bell crispy taco.

Coconut Shrimp
    Generally, I allow myself to get whatever I want at nice restaurants.

Homemade pasta dinners, pancakes, potstickers

wine

Grilled chicken, grilled asparagus, Greek yogurt

Hot tea

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Lynn, I'm with you on the shifting and piling of weight for us 'mature' women! Though I've never had a weight problem, in the past few years the pounds have seemed to creep up on me. The invisalign retainers are somewhat helpful in that it's such a PITA to snack that I don't do a lot of it. However I'm finding that once I take those suckers out, if I want to I can do some fairly serious diet damage in a very short period of time. Here are my answers:

Sweet. Chocolate candy, or my devil addiction cookies.

Hmmm I really don't eat junk food very often. I guess it would be pastries, fried chicken and cookies (again).

Soda-have given it up almost completely but if it's in the house, I'll drink it.

Potatoes-have also given them up but if they are around I'll cook em and eat em.

1. Starbucks muffins or baked goods 2. Chick Fil A although I'm convinced since there isn't any mayo it can't be that bad (hahaha) 3. McDonalds cheeseburgers--I occasionally have to go to a trophy store and for some reason I've started stopping at a nearby MickyDs for a cburger, small fries and a small coke for lunch. Haven't eaten that stuff for over 20 years but for some reason I'm indulging again.

Stuffed shrimp at my favorite seafood place, chicken with any of the random cream sauces that make it taste so rich, and potatoes which are always either prepared with gobs of fat or served ready to be smeared with gobs of fat like butter, sour cream etc.

Slice and bake cookies. My daughter loves them and now I'm addicted too. I try to only eat one but don't always manage to stop at that.

Chardonnay

Microwave light popcorn
    Tall skinny vanilla latte--at least less unhealthy
    Bananas

Fruit smoothies-make em with fresh fruit, a bit of applesauce, a splash of OJ, and some yogurt. Yum.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Hmmm...I think I'm an equal opportunity snacker. It depends on what I have available to me when I need a snack.

I made pumpkin spice bread yesterday and it's all I've been thinking about since it came out of the oven.

potato chips (I NEVER buy them for that reason))
    Rice krispie treats (I NEVER make them for that reason)
    popcorn with butter and salt and ground pepper (but only homemade, I don't buy it made elsewhere)

Potato chips

I adore pizza and I'll eat if from almost anywhere.
    I won't turn down a french fry with a burger but I only get burgers at a few local joints so that helps to limit me.
    I can't think of a 3rd thing. I'm sure there is a 3rd thing, probably much worse than the others, but I can't think of what it may be. If I continue to read other people's responses I'll probably be reminded of whatever it is.

If it's a nice place I usually don't limit myself too much. I'll only order dessert if it was made in-house & not always then.
    I try, without much success, to limit the bread when it's nice and warm. (I haven't purchased a loaf of bread since June! I used to eat a piece of toast every day. I've been eating an apple with peanut butter instead of the bread since June.)

Hmmm, I dunno. Almost any baked good I make I guess.

I'm with Bumblebeez on this: wine. It would be nice if I didn't have to think about calories when I have a glass of wine. It doesn't actually stop me from having wine but I do think about the calories and harsh my own mellow.

I love an apple, when I'm craving something & I don't know what, because it's crisp & crunchy & juicy, one of those is bound to hit the spot.

Water. I don't drink milk and only drink OJ if I've given blood.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

hh, I am laughing hysterically over your answer to #7.

• amj0517
    12 years ago

Sweet. In between meals I usually want a bowl of cereal or ice cream.

Junk cereal
    Rice Krispie treats
    Chocolate

Beoreg (an Armenian bread that my husband's family introduced to me).

Crunch Wrap Supreme from Taco Bell
    Extra Crispy chicken from KFC (a tummy ache always follows)
    Bic Mac from McDonalds

Artichoke Dip appetizers
    Heavy/creamy Soup

Mac & Cheese

Anything from Starbucks

Fresh fruit
    Greek yogurt
    A big glass of water then I try to get busy doing something to distract myself.

Water with lemon

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

1) When you're hungry and wanting a snack, are you more likely to crave a sweet or salty/spicy snack? Probably a bread-I can't resist french bread.

Bread. Sour candy. Grape soda. Absolute junk food.
    Pumpkin anything, soup, bread, cookies, pie...if it's pumpkin, I can't resist.

The steakhouse burger at Carls Junior or the Tillamook Cheeseburger at Burgerville (NW Favorite!)

Pumpkin pie. Pasta...alfredo sauce, marinara sauce, meat sauce...you name it.

Starbucks Pumpkin Latte

Carrots with sun dried tomato hummus, black bean dip, veggie pizza.
    Lemonade made with sparkling water, lemon, sweetener. I like it more tart than sweet.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Guess that answer should have gone to #4. I DO have a bit more class than that!

• OrchidOCD
    12 years ago

80% salty/spicy, 20% sweets, especially dark chocolate

Kettle Cooked Potato Chips
    Guacamole & Tortilla Chips (though I console myself that avocados are 'good' fats)
    Heavy-on-the-chocolate milkshakes

Kettle Cooked Potato Chips or Spinach and Artichoke Dip

McRibs from McDonalds
    Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy's
    Extra Crispy Fried Chicken from KFC
    Burrito Supreme from Taco Bell
    Steak and Cheese Sub (several local restaurants) and Traditional Sub from Quizzno's
    The entire Prepared Foods sections at Wegman's
    (Yeah, I know it's more than 3, but avoiding fast food is actually my biggest struggle - they offer such instant gratification during the busy workweek!)

I don't restrict myself at nicer restaurants, but I should. If I were dieting, I'd have to give up the orders of fresh bread, ceasar salad, loaded baked potatoes or butter & brown sugared sweet potatoes, guacamole and queso blanco, chocolate lava cake.... Okay, so I really should restrict myself, shouldn't I?! ;-)

Fettucine Alfredo or Carbonara
    Fried Chicken with Mac-n-Cheese
    Clam Chowder, Crab Soup, French Onion Soup, Brunswick Stew
    Ceasar and Cobb Salads
    Baked items (though if I swap out the pastry/bread flour for whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, bran flour, oatmeal, etc - I tell myself it's good for me and DH because it's got whole fiber and protein - I'm a master of self-justification!)

Wine - especially Chardonnay, Zinfandel and Merlot
    Starbucks Peppermint Mocha and Caramel Frappachino (winter and summer, respectively)

Asparagus, Squashes - Winter and Summer, Corn on the cob
    Whole Corn Tortilla Chips and Spicy Salsa
    Dried Fruit and Nut blends

Fruit Smoothies
    Ice Water w/ Mint or Lemon
    Green Tea

• Sheeisback_GW
    12 years ago

-It all depends on my mood.

-1. Cheese. I love cheese. I'm talking the junky deli kind of cheese. You know, the stuff that's probably not even considered real cheese in many parts of the world.
    -2. Pizza
    -3. Chips and dip, but I'm picky about dip.

-I don't have a #1 junk food. We don't keep it in the house so on the occasions when we buy or I bake whatever we have a craving for, it doesn't last long.

-1. McDonalds
    -2. Taco Bell
    -3. ?

-Hmm.. we don't eat out very often so when we do, I usually order whatever I'm hungry for.

-Pizza, stuffed shells, mac and cheese. Are we seeing a cheese/dough pattern here?

-Coke but I know nothing about it is good for you.

- Salads, fish, veggies

- I just drink water.

• Sheeisback_GW
    12 years ago

Hhireno - LOL!
    "Hmmm... I think I'm an equal opportunity snacker."
    C'mon now... you didn't even taste your pumpkin spice bread?

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG, I don't ever look at the calorie content on bottle of Chardonnay! All this time I've been telling myself that it was (fairly) lo-cal because it was clear.
    #^@%!!!! I guess some things just have to be overlooked . . . OK, flat-out ignored (LOL!).
    Lynn

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Let me clarify my answer to #1:
    Not only was I constantly thinking about the pumpkin bread but I was constantly just cutting off another sliver. And another sliver. And another sliver. I had the last of it with a cup of tea just a few moments ago. It can no longer tempt me.

To be fair, my DH & my sister also ate it so I didn't eat the whole thing by myself. I could have, but I didn't. Oddly enough, my weight was down this morning. Could this be my new diet? Slivers of pumpkin bread all day long? Excellent!

• busybee3
    12 years ago

if it's the daytime, something salty/spicy...
    late at night after dinner, then usually something sweet.

doritos
    LOVE tostitos with either a good con queso dip or guacomole-i can eat many calories with those!
    chewy candy--swedish fish, twizzlers, gummy lifesaves, etc. or peppermint patties.

i'm really good if it's in the house UNOPENED! lol. i usually can resist opening something, but once it's open, forget it-usually doritos, etc.

i really hardly ever eat fast food, but if i do i tend to order the 'wraps'... mcdonalds have them and wendy's have the chicken caeser wraps which i'll eat. i'm not big into burgers and only like the fries if they're HOT and CRISPY, which is often so hit and miss that i don't bother!

i'll often pass on the french onion soup and choose something healthier even though i LOVE a good french onion soup crock with melted cheese and crusty bread!!
    i love all pastas, but will steer away sometimes to order something lighter.
    i love a really good carrot cake and if i see someplace has one that looks REALLY good, it's hard to pass!

i love making/eating pasta carbonara, but only do so occasionally.
    love creamy soups---buying fat free half and half makes me feels better but they still often have butter...(currently have broccoli and cheese soup leftover in the fridge--YUM!!)
    LOVE fruit pies/cobblers.

sweet drinks like margaritas
    sweet wines, like white zinfandel-love it!
    love chocolate coffee creamers---would be great if they were 0 calorie and still tasted great!!

i guess popcorn is better than chips, but i usually don't really fall back on it... i buy those mini flavored rice cakes and feel better about those!
    i often will order fish or salad in restaurants- to either avoid fat or increase my veggie consumption!
    will order sorbet at the end of a meal when i'm really craving a dessert, but don't want the calories.

peppermint tea (with honey), icewater.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

lol...just read the above responses and amj said 'junk cereal' as answer to #2.....i've got to say, peanut butter captain crunch (which i really never buy, but have in the past) is one of those odd very sweet cereals that i could just absently eat out of the box til it's gone!

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

1) When you're hungry and wanting a snack, are you more likely to crave a sweet or salty/spicy snack? SUGAR

cake with icing or caramel
    really good cupcakes
    snickers bar

I fight the urge constantly but I usually have one treat a day

Werther's candies, jelly beans, brownies with icing, life savers, I really cannot keep anything in my house.......or it's gone within hours.

Whopper burger, Big Mac, A&W teen burger

Caesar salad, really good fries, really good tempura

Kraft Dinner ( !!) canned beans ( the brown sweet kind) , Canned vegetable or cream of tomato soup with tons of saltines crushed in it

7) Favorite drink that you wish was "no calorie"? none, I only have one glass of wine a day , it would be great if it had no calories, of course.

celery, carrot sticks, apple, tomato juice

9) Favorite more healthful drinks? room temperature V8 or tomato juice

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I'm such a thread killer sometimes.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Aw mitchd, I'll jump in and be the thread killer!

If I'm hungry I want regular food.

cookies/cake
    chocolate
    biscuits

M&M's

cheeseburger
    cheeseburger
    cheeseburger
    Doesn't matter which ff place.

Anything stuffed with crab or cheese

I make a killer carrot cake with cream cheese frosting

chocolate shakes

salad
    eggs
    vegetables

water

• Sheeisback_GW
    12 years ago

I just realized I read number four wrong.
    It's very rare that I eat fast food but ....
    Big Mac or the fish sandwhich from McD and the taco bell grande from Taco Bell.