SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squarefour

laundry room in basement?

squarefour
14 years ago

Hi. We are still working out details on our plan for a foursquare in Wisconsin. A couple of friends have looked at our floor plan and suggested we move the laundry room to the walk-out basement. This would allow us to expand a very small bedroom on the second floor. This would also address some concerns I have about a second floor washer-dryer: vibration and water leaks. We will be buying a new washer-dryer but have always suffered a leak or two with former washing machines.

My concern is the hassle of downstairs laundry, two stories below the bedrooms. Laundry chutes are cool, but the trek up stairs is not. I don't see new homes designed with a basement laundry. However, we are aiming for a simple, energy-efficient home with no wasted space. If we can keep costs down, we'd like to prioritize some trim work and hardwood floors on the first floor. So we are willing to consider changes that do not add a lot of cost (or regrets!) to the project.

We are in our early 40s and have children ages 3, 5, and 8 so the plan is 20 years or so here.

Do you have opinions about a washer-dryer in the basement? If we took it out of the second floor, how would you give that space to the bedrooms without losing the symmetry of our front elevation?

Many thanks for any input

Liz

{{gwi:1515228}}

{{gwi:1515227}}

{{gwi:1515229}}

{{gwi:1515225}}

Comments (21)