Tell me about your handbag - poll

hilltop_gw
12 years ago

What brand handbag do you have?

Color?

Price range?

Bought online or in store?

What features do you like about it?

I've always gone for the less expensive shoulder bags($40-80) in brown or black, but I'm ready for something different. Looking at brand names online it seems like $2-300 is common (that'll kill me to spend that much). I found a gorgeous Jimmy Choo snakeskin one in red for $2195. Never in my lifetime but I can dream.

Comments (94)

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I could buy handbags by the dozen, if I could. I constantly see another one I lust for but I exercise restraint. I do so love the ones I own and I change constantly. I rarely wear color other than black and almost never wear prints so handbags are my touch of je ne sais quoi...........

I also wear less jewellery than before so I need something to adorn myself.

I stuff my handbags with tissue and line them up on shelves, I admit to peeking in my closet sometimes to look at them.
    I also enjoy reading about other people's take on handbags so this thread thrills me, lol.....

• sweeby
    12 years ago

"Sweeby - it's on sale. Just think of the $2910 you'll save!"

Cool! Anyone need a kidney?

• Related Discussions

Show me or Tell me about your Shaws Fireclay Sink Flange

Q

Comments (0)
    Do you have a Shaws Fireclay Sink with an Extended Flange with a garbage disposal? Does yours look thin? Does food lodge around its edge and the Shaws sink flange cut-out?
    ...See More

Tell me about your experience with Build.com?

Q

Comments (102)
    HORRENDOUS expexperience from start to finish. Placed a very simple order for cabinet pulls. After almost 2 WEEKS, I Recd the box with the wrong sized pulls. Call to customer service. Replacement order shipped out, and I had to use my own supplies to print their emailed return label. The second box arrives with AGAIN the WRONG sized pulls! Second call to CS. Use own supplies again to print a second return label. Then, I tell them to just cancel my order , Way too much hassle. These clowns cant even get prepackaged cabinet hardware right! Then, almost 3 weeks go by after I returned everything to them by UPS, and still no refund. SO…. once again I call CS. They have no explanation as to why my refund was never credited to my VISA account, and then it takes them almost another 5 days to issue the refund! ugh Never again, Build.com.
    ...See More

Show & Tell - Vines! Tell me about your Vines and why you love them.

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi june, I am on about 4 acres and there are woods on most sides of the property and only one neighbor on one side that I can see and its fenced there lol. So escapee passiflora and other vines aren't a problem. In fact, there are "wild /rogue" trumpet vines, japanese honeysuckle, and carolina jessamine growing all crazy out in the woods and up various trees on the back of the property. I have a lot of gulf frits so they do keep the escaped (from pots) passies under control here too. For additional control, I grow most of my passiflora in pots and use 3 tall bamboo poles tied together at the top in the large pots. Then I use fishing line and black electrical tape to create a little trellis for them to attach their tendrils onto between the bamboo poles. Then I position the pots up against a fence or tree and let them climb that way once they grow over the bamboo poles. When it freezes, I cut them back to the length of the bamboo pole/trellis and move the pots into the gh because some of the passies I grow will freeze back badly and some are tropical so gh culture during the winter is best for those. ~SJN
    ...See More

Tell me the name of your pet; without telling me the name of your pet

Q

Comments (62)
    Roxsol....very good...especially on the cat Fob. I named him Favio, but called him Fav, and my husband started calling him Fob. The horse is Bane. One dog is named Mexican. He was given to me and named by a Mexican friend. Lyle is the dog with the Southern name that could be male or female Not Lily....Daisy Not Honey....Darla Cats are Sore Eyes, June (as in June Bug....I should have said a summer month), Striped Stockings, and Worms Mackenzie.
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    12 years ago

maire, every time I see one of their black leather bags, I practically drool. But they're, what, $500 or so... not happening. I *want* to like the nylon bags that come in all the colors, but they look so lumpy to me when they have stuff in them.

I want you all to know that this thread has made me start browsing Zappos, etc., for a new spring bag!

• lynxe
    12 years ago

I have about 15 older Coach purses. I also have purses by Dooney & Bourke, Mark Cross, Cartier, Hermes, Burberry, Donna Karan, Fendi, Louis Vuitton. Probably others as well.

The purses' colors are all over the map. Coach in navy, burgundy, grey, black, dark green, tobacco brown, and probably every other color. Let's see, the Louis Vuitton is a bright blue epi leather; the Donna Karan is hunter green suede and patent leather; the Mark Cross is tan; the Les Must de Cartier is burgundy I guess. And so on.

I almost forgot: I also have two French market baskets, woven and with leather handles; some LL Bean tote bags; a J. Peterman wool tote bag; a vintage dyed straw bag from the Bahamas, very colorful in blue and pink.

So what do I use everyday? If you guessed a Liz Clairborne nylon-and-other-manmade-materials bag bought at a clearance sale for less than $10, you would have guessed correctly. I think I'm going to resurrect my interesting bags. It's time to start using them!

Oh, and the Liz Claiborne is a black and white plaid.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

I made a switch to Coach bags this past year. Have 3 now-2 large-ish ones, black and brown, and a small black. All are leather, I also do not advertise for products and wouldn't be interested in the C-embossed styles. I like the leather and think the ones I have seem to be good quality. They are all in what Coach now calls their classic lines and that's why I like 'em, they look classic.

Ann

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

I have the hardest time with handbags. Last Summer I carried a tote bag with monkeys on it because I couldn't deal. The ones I love are just too much for me to spend.

I found this Steve Madden one this fall and I like it a lot. I took the bow off. DD thought it was "fancy". I think I only paid $50 with a coupon at Macy's.

(I couldn't figure out how to post a photo..sorry)

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/steve-madden-handbag-bdanity-satchel?ID=583786&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Beth P.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Sigh, I am just not into shoes or purses. Most purses I buy at JCPenney, but I gets lots of compliments on them.

MIL has been buying me VB bags, so that is what I have now. I would probably not have actively sought these out on my own, but I like them.

Never liked Coach or other designer brands.

Of course, the coolest purse I have is one called the "coffin case." It's always a hit at rock concerts. It's modeled on a guitar case, most famous from Slash. Although, mostly at concerts I prefer to be purse-free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffin case purse

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Reviving this thread. I need (well, not really need, but you know what i mean ;) a new purse. I have been using the same coach backpack for about 10 yrs to carry my laptop. It has seen better days and I would like to get something new. I bought one new coach bag and I hate it. I have many older ones in the mahogany color. I used to wear a lot of brown and I loved them, but I think I got my first one 20 yrs ago. Since then that is all I have worn. Mahogany coach bags in various sizes and shapes.

I am due for a change after 20 yrs right??? :) I think I might sell the coach bags.

Now I wear much more black. I bought a bag from hautelook this week that was pretty cheap. But I really do like the idea of buying from one line and being able to add on over the years as I did with coach. Maybe that is boring.

Any suggestions? Anyone here ever use Brahmin bags? I am going to look up brighton, big buddha and elliot luca.

I think I would like to go with a patterned bag in black and white or black white and grey. I love and hate google image. I found about 4 I loved but they were apparently from 2010. I am behind the trends on bags!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I love handbags, I just bought a nice badgley and mischka tote in a deep "honeysuckle" color.

Brighton bags are great and have good resale value if that's important. Big Buddha is fun, trendy but essentially junk.
    Some great deals at TJ Maxx nearly all the time.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

So what does everyone do with gently used handbags that you know you won't use anymore? Goodwill? I am overflowing with bags right now...

• allison0704
    11 years ago

You can make a killing selling older (nice, higher dollar) handbags that are in decent shape on ebay.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I'm just not into high end bags. I always have "nice" bags, but I'm only willing to spend so much on a purse! LOL

I rarely wear out a bag, and donate - usually to a local women's half-way house. They take clothing, accessories, etc. for woman. They provide them with clothing for job interviews, etc.

tina

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I probably have about 30 coach bags. I was thinking of selling them on ebay. I think that is the best place.

I feel like I am spending way too much time on this new bag obsession.

As I mentioned, I usually carry a large bag to work every day (close to VP of a good size public company in a finance role) which holds my laptop and some folders and a smaller bag which I prefer fit in the larger bag which holds my wallet, sunglasses and cellphone (and on weekends a few diapers, wipes in a bag, crayons and sippy cup for my toddler and 4 month old)

I want something that is kind of fun, I won't get tired of in a few months and is age and work appropriate. :)

I bought this on impulse from one of those daily sale sights, but I am afraid I am not going to like it...

These are some other large bag alternatives:
    large bag 1 - nikki chu

Brahmin - large bag 2

large bag 3 - marc jacobs

{{gwi:1494932}}

and for the smaller bag...

small bag 1 (relic)

small bag 2 (fendi)

small bag 3 (kipling)

small bag 4 - I absolutely love, but is a lot of money and not sure it is actually practical at all :)

I have never heard of most of these brands. Should I give it up and just go with black bags even though I find them boring? do any of the above work for the background info I gave ? I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this. It is worse than picking paint! and I don't want to waste money.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Currently toting a several seasons old woven straw Coach boat bag with lime green leather trim & handles. The lining is sherbet colored stripes. The perfect summer bag.

But I'm starting to think about a fall bag...I've got a closet full, but I'm lusting after a few I've seen on Pinterest. I might even splurge for one of these, tho I couldn't use it every day!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Early in the summer I bought a Kate Spade black patten leather bag and wallet. The price wasn't outrageous, when I compare it to the vintage Chanel I would *really* love to have.;o)

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I'm obsessed with finding the perfect bag. I've been looking for a new one for fall -- I have a birthday next month -- and the big issue for me is strap length. What is with these "shoulder" bags that have short straps? I need them to be long enough to hang from my shoulder, while wearing a coat, and SO many bags have this weird inbetween length that is too long to be a "hand" bag but too short to be a shoulder bag.

One of my favorite bags that I have (which I can certainly use this fall but, well, I'm still thinking New) is a leather tote that's about 12" x 16", very lightweight leather (that's another thing -- what's with these purses that weigh 5 lbs before you even put anything inside?) with narrow but strong straps in the perfect length. The top edge of the bag is cut as if pinking shears were used, which gives it an interesting look for an otherwise plain tote. My one issue with this bag is that it doesn't have an outside pocket for my phone or keys, and only one tiny pocket inside, so things tend to get lost in the bottom of the bag.

Um, do I sound like I think about this too much? This has been my obsession for the last couple of weeks!

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

These are some of the bags I own up to the 2 B Makowsky pink bags in the 4th row; the last ones were ones I want to add

Handbags

These are ones I'm thinking of selling

B Makowsky Bags for sale

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Sue- I hear you about the straps. I'm a short strap person myself. I really don't care much for shoulder straps. People also need to think about the size/length of strap as compared to your size. I am a petite person and a big bag looks ridiculous on me! Plus, I carry the minimum in a bag (love small bags) and would not have enough STUFF to fill a large bag. LOL

I do like to switch bags out and not carry the same one all season. I also like having a bag and wallet to match, but I don't swap wallets out like I do bags.

tina

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I like that first one a lot boo, unlike Tina, I can't carry small bags, they look ridiculous on me and I have too much stuff. I love that brown one too but it does look small.
    Please don't get all black, keep looking! That is so boring, to me, anyway.

Here is what I always carry: I don't see how to pair it down!
    Wallet- thin
    card holder case
    sunglasses
    eyeglasses
    small makeup bag
    Plastic zippered envelope for receipts, coupons, pen
    cell phone
    keys

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Here's one I've been looking at and trying to decide if it's just too wacky. I like bags that are colorful or have some kind of fun or interesting detail. If the appliqu� on this was a flower or something instead of a cat, I wouldn't even hesitate, but...I dunno...

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitty bag?

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Bumble you are tall - so a small bag wouldn't look right on you! That doesn't sound like alot to me. I carry most of that except sunglasses and eyeglasses. (My sunglasses stay in the car as do my eyeglasses only worn for driving, etc.), no card case either.

Sue - I dunno. For some reason that looks more like a tote or something - not a purse.

tina

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Tina, I hope the big bags never go out! I look at some of my older bags that I used to think were large and now they seem small.

Sue, keep looking! That kitty looks mean! And I don't love the style much although I will carry a tote as a handbag.

• goldgirl
    11 years ago

I don't buy expensive clothes or jewelry, but appreciate high-quality bags, briefcases, and wallets. I'm always conflicted about price because I want the most bang for my buck. I tend to like classic, conservative styles, and will buy only bags with no or minimal "advertising." For me, a bag must have lots of pockets, including one on the outside, and a shoulder strap that actually fits. I also prefer bags with feet and silver vs. gold hardware.

I have a couple of Kate Spades (one small black leather and one black nylon), a plaid Dooney & Bourke, and a floral Spartina 449 (I think someone here recommended them!) all bought at major markdowns during end-of-season sales. I also have a few Vera Bradleys, which I love for general use because they're lightweight and colorful. A few cheap, brightly colored bags round out my collection.

A friend recently gave me a gorgeous Jack Georges burgundy leather wallet as a gift, which prompted me to look for burgundy bag to go with it. I found one I love at Zappos and was able to buy it with gift cards I redeemed from credit card points - $495 worth! The photo doesn't do it justice, but it's beautiful quality, will last forever, meets all of my handbag requirements (I rarely find any bags that do), and would be a perfect work bag.

{{gwi:1494939}}

But tonight I went to Kohl's, where this bag caught my eye. It costs, well, $35 after coupons, and also looks much nicer than the photo, fake leather and all. Yes, the "patent leather" is a little too shiny, but I still think it's a nice, professional-looking bag.

{{gwi:1494940}}

So once again my quandary is whether to keep the expensive (more than I would ever spend, even if it is only points) designer bag or the respectable el-cheapo bag. Those credit card points would buy 4-5 pairs of shoes!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

When I look at bags at TJmaxx, I try to tell if it's a cheap bag or expensive before looking at the price. Even with some fairly pricey bags, 300+, I can't tell. So many times I have picked up a bag that seemed gorgeous, only to discover it was 29.95 and pleather.
    Now, of course, some expensive bags do look it. Some cheap bags look expensive, some expensive bags look cheap...

Even good bags get stained or can wear out on the edges quickly.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I was in a shop yesterday and saw a few bags made by Sven USA...yum! Buttery soft leather, lightweight, without too many bells and whistles but just different enough to know everyone else isn't walking around with the same exact bag.

I didn't get one, partly because we were on an island and I knew the prices were high. Sure enough, the one I was eyeballing is about $25 less online. Would love to find it for less, though, as the online price is still high.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sven

• hhireno
    11 years ago

I read that the politician Ann Richards had her favorite purse recreated in multiple colors of leather and that style was all she ever carried. The lesson here is if you find a favorite purse, next find a leather worker/purse maker to make you extra purses in various colors and materials.

Goldgirl,
    How much use do you think the bag will get? If it's heavy use then I'd stick with the better bag. If it's occasional use then stick with the less expensive. But, OTHO, will pulling your gorgeous new wallet out of the less expensive bag make it look cheap by comparison? It's a conundrum.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I have to say I do like the first one better goldgirl. The purse I have been using is similar in size and has the shorter handles and the long handles, and I do love it. I was actually looking last night on ebay to see if I could find it in another color.

I am still waiting for the bag that I bought from haute on one of their daily sales.

The more I look at purses the more I am drawn back to coach. I think I am just a coach girl at heart. Maybe the recent back that I bought I didnt like becuase I bought a patchwork one, with purple and it didnt fit my laptop like I thought it would. I have now been looking for black and white coach bags and/or black coach bags.

I have fallen in love with a 65th anniversary bag! this is it in the color pond. I have seen it in black and in white as well. I just love all the pockets.

ALso this one.... but I think I like the anniversary bag better)

Decisions decisions. I think what is holding me back (besides the prices!) Is that neither one have a long strap and I do use that often too on my current bag.

I also found a purse forum where they help you authenticate and ID designer bags. It is awesome :)

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Hmmm maybe this one will work

this is the anniversary bag in canvas. I like the ones in leather though

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I like both those bags boo, but like the first one better.
    I like the braided strap.

• goldgirl
    11 years ago

@hhireno - I'd use it everyday for work. I'm about to start a year-long job as a law clerk for a judge, so I'm looking for something professional looking. I won't need to carry a laptop or briefcase for this job.

I adore Tim Gunn, and recently read an article where he talks about having one high quality "workhouse" bag per season. I'm thinking this might be mine - I've always used shoulder bags, but I do like how the Botkier bag has a removable strap, so it can be carried as a satchel, as well. And great point about the wallet!

@Boop - Love both bags, but I'm a fan of spectator styles generally. Love contrasting colors in bags and shoes.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I've read that a good handbag will have the little metal 'feet' on the bottom to keep it from wearing out. My youngest DD has a LV(DH paid $700 for a b-day/Christmas gift!)sans feet, so don't know how true this really is.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I love handbags by Michael Kors and have several in black, brownish, and slightly off-white.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

What brand handbag do you have? Fake Prada backpack
    Color? black nylon
    Price range? dont recall - $100?
    Bought online or in store? on the street

What features do you like about it? I like having my hands free when i need to. I like the roominess. I like the fact that the bag itself weighs nothing, but is very sturdy. I like the fact that is it season-less, and i can carry it with jeans or in a business suit. I like the two front pockets. I like that it's cheap and can get wet and doesn't show dirt and is not "old lady".

I am on my third one since i came across it on a NYC street corner one day 10+ years ago.. A few years ago, DH insisted I get a "real one" and marched me over to Neiman Marcus. It was $600? I took it back. On the fake one, the front pockets appear to buckle, but a magnet is hidden underneath. On the real one, you actually have to undo and redo the buckles to use the front pockets. Total PITA. Fake one is better. ANd face it, are there really differences in black nylon?

In my profession, most women had power bags. I had LV briefcases and one Chanel one, in an unusual color that i liked but that DH said looked like "baby potty". As i got more senior, and didn't feel compelled to signal my seniority, i delighted in carrying a fabric tote bag instead some times! I still own that Chanel briefcase, maybe one of my DS's will like it....

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

I was on a web site the other day & noticed the kitty & butterfly bags as ads.

Curious what bags everyone else gets in the ad linked below

Here is a link that might be useful: The bags are following me!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Nothing, I use firefox with adblock.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

I don't block ads from places like ebags. I enjoy seeing some ads.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Well I am officially boring. I have been carrying the same bag for probably 12-18 months in mahogany.....

It is a 1998 coach bag, and I love that it has short and long handles. I decided it was so perfect that I would just see if I could find it in black. I did, and it is on its way to me now! :) I am excited. And I have spent Waaaaaay to much time on the purse forum :( The people there are soooo nice, and I have had gotten a bunch of info on the bags I have, and the ones I have been looking to purchase. I have my eye on a couple of bags on ebay that are from the 80's and early 90's for my laptop bag. All black leather coach. and I am so boring I also bought the same wallet I have been carrying for probably 10 years in black too. (too bad there is no eyerolling smilie here :) )

Here is a link that might be useful: post forum

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

Mine is one of those small lightweight travel bags ("Baggalini", or something like that )w/lots of interior zipped pockets and slots for credit cards. I get shoulder pains w/anything heavier.

Though I really LOVE clothes and other accessories (scarves, jewelry), shoes and purses I just don't care about much (shoes more than purses. Because I have hard to fit feet I only have a few pair of very comfortable, stylish shoes/boots). Which leads me to ask, do you notice what shoes and purses other women wear/carry? I don't but I do notice how they are put together otherwise. And what do you find yourself thinking when an otherwise well dressed woman carries a pathetic little travel purse/bag?:)

• francypants
    11 years ago

Boop, nice bag but I really like what it's sitting on!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Funnygirl - I notice when someone is carrying a bag I like, otherwise it just doesn't register to me at all pretty much. Same with shoes. Unless the person is walking funny or like the young girls in my office they take off the heels sometimes and walk around barefoot. Kind of gross to me, I wouldn't want work germs on my feet :)

Thanks francypants - it is a ralph lauren poet something or other duvet cover. I have to say, I LOVE it too. I have probably looked off and on for 5 years for a duvet cover I loved enough to deal with the taking on and off the comforter and the scrunching down of the comforter that always happens. I don't mind it with this one a bit! :)

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

After lots of looking, I recently ordered this one from Boden. After I ordered it, I also saw it featured as a "find" in In Style magazine, so I think that means I'm cool and stylish. It hasn't arrived yet but I hope it works!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boden bag

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I'm not really into purses, although I always carry one. However, I couldn't resist adding this to the thread:

{{gwi:1494945}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown paper bag purse $290

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

It doesn't surprise me that it sold out quickly in stores.

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

I am thinking about getting this bag from Sundance-my favorite catalog! I have three Louis Vuitton's I carry most of the time, but, I wanted a very casual bag to wear with my hoboish kind of clothes.

• francypants
    11 years ago

That's my kind of purse, olliesmom. If it just had a side zipper...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Ollie, I like the style (hobo) but to my eyes, it seems too orange, too rumply looking. I think you can do better. And I'm very familiar with Sundance!

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

I really like that purse, Ollie. The color looks very close to the leather on my Louis Vuitton luggage. The luggage is quite old and well traveled so you can imagine the patina.

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

Thanks francypants and marlene! Marlene, I bet your LV luggage is just gorgeous, especially with the patina!

BB, for some reason I have always been drawn to the "saddle" color of leather. I see it as more neutral and kinda like a little of the "sloppyness" look of it.

I have one similar I got from JCrew a couple of years or so ago, but it's suede and at the same time, I got a new SUV with black carpet and it rubbed off on my new purse and I can't get it off! I literally got to carry it one time. I just looks dirty now! This one isn't suede, and now that I know to keep my purses on my seat of car, I shouldn't be a problem.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I did look at it online Ollie and liked it better in the other picture. It's a nice bag, no doubt- I love Sundance stuff-, just too orange for me! But then I just bought a silver handbag that would probably horrify some people.

• francypants
    11 years ago

I was the first one to respond to this thread back when it was first posted. My example of the BE&D bag was black but I actually bought the more saddle color. It's always been my favorite and that's another reason I loved the purse you posted.

Here's the color and purse that I bought.