SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom2013_gw

Pro Style 36" Range Selection

Tom2013
11 years ago

For a couple weeks now I have been researching 36" ranges. This turns out to be one of the most difficult items I have ever researched for a home. First let me say that my background is engineering, not cooking. In fact I am a terrible cook but I am always trying to change that, and no I don't expect the range to be the single most factor to turn me into an good one. I am data driven and usually start by looking at CR Magazine although I do know that some of their testing is flawed when it comes to real world applications. On the other hand there are some parts of their testing that should be given some consideration. Here is what I have come up with in my quest to find a good range. I would like for people to reply to help me make a choice
Burner BTU- What I have read is that claimed burner BTU does not always mean that the highest claimed BTU will give you the best delta T. My only explaination for this is that it could be the open burner vs closed or the pattern of the flame.
Simmer Mode- This seems to be a huge topic and CR does some pretty good testing on this. Although they don't test very many 36" models I think there probalby isn't any difference between a brands 30 and 36" model. This could be investigated further once models are selected by looking at the parts breakdown for the range.
Baking and Broiling-Again I think this should be comparable to a models 30" ratings.
Brand Names- Kitchenaid which is not popular at all on this website, probably due to the fact it is too mainstream and not based on data. Based on the data it is a clear winner. The other thing going for it which some people consider a negative and I am not sure why is that it is mass produced. A mass produced product usually means that there is more reliability data and the manufacturer can get more feedback and fix problems because they will find out about them sooner since they have so much product being tested. The next reason would be spare parts. Parts should be more available and probalby cheaper.
Viking- Wow, I was very close to buying one. I loved the look but it seems to be plagued with electrical problems. Just do a seach and this is a pretty universal problem across the board on many websites. CR magazine has a video where they purchased two identical models that both failed due to electrical failures.
Capital-I love what I see but can't find much real data.
Wolf-Data is close to Kitchenaid
Bluestar-People seem to love them on this site but the data shows them to be on the lower end.
American-Again data not so good
Bertazoni-About the worst in terms of data
DCS,Thermador,Dacor-middle of the road for data
What am I missing? I wish CR had rated Capital because I really like what I see. If I just go by data, it is a clear choice but I am sure there is more to this but it is hard to sort through emotional attachements to brands vs real world comparisons.

Comments (10)