SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

In dire need of hugs & prayers

neetsiepie
13 years ago

I'm broken hearted right now, and I really need you to send your positive energies to my son.

Four years ago my son did something really stupid...he and a bunch of his friends were doing something called 'slap tagging', which involved putting up stickers they'd drawn art on on telephone poles, signs, bus stops, etc. The kids were caught, and my son, being the only who was 18 (by a couple months) was charged as an adult with criminal mischief. In normal circumstances, this would be a misdemeanor, involving a fine and being required to do community service. Well, my son was made an example of by the legal system and was charged under a loophole in the law with 20 FELONY counts of criminal mischief. I am not kidding you, my son faced FIVE YEARS IN PRISON for putting up stickers on telephone poles.

The other kids, juvenilles, were not sentenced to jail.

My son was sentenced to 3 years probation, charged with five felony counts and fines. He's never had a bit of trouble with the law before or since. He is a very good kid, well liked by everyone, and a very gentle soul. He checked in with this probation officer as required, in fact, they recommended him to be released early since he was a model person. He did community service, even more than required, and was paying on his fines, but since he had been laid off from his job, hadn't paid them.

Today he went to court and the judge sentenced him to 13 months in prison because he hadn't paid all this fines. He was taken to jail, and we've not been able to contact him since...I can't even find out when I can go see him until tomorrow morning, and then I don't know if I'll be able to see him before they send him to prison.

HE PUT STICKERS ON TELEPHONE POLES!!! AND HE'S GOING TO PRISON FOR THAT! The A-hole who burglarized our house and stole our guns went to jail for 10 days and was fined $35. He has previous felony convictions. My dear son, the kid who's never even had a traffic ticket is going to prison because he put stickers up on walls.

I am sick. Just besides myself with grief. My baby boy...he's never hurt a fly. His birthday is Saturday...he's all alone in jail right now. I'm terrified and I'm heartbroken and I want to talk to my son, but I can't.

I've written an email to my State Representative, for what purpose, I don't know. Jon's attorney is going to petition for an appeal, but that could take 30 days to see if they'll even do it.

Please send healing wishes and good thoughts to my baby. He's a good boy, really he is...he's just being used as a pawn in the messed up justice system. I am so angry at the judge, and had I known he was going to court (he didn't tell us) I'd have been there.

Comments (79)

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Oh ((Pesky)) I can't think of an original thing to say.But I do send hugs to you and your son. It ticks me off for you.

• User
    13 years ago

Pesky I'm so sorry to hear about your son. There are people that should be behind bars that aren't. I can't believe how they handled this. I wonder how they'd feel if the situation was turned around and it was their kid was being made an example?

• Related Discussions

In need of hugs

Q

Comments (16)
    Mimi and all of you others who have been so wonderful to respond...Thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's hard for us to believe that it's been two weeks tomorrow since this happened. The family have been sustained by an incredible group of friends and faithbased support. They have been surrounded by incredible strength and love and are working their way through these first weeks with that foundation. And me...not family, but feeling so dearly.....I am helped more than you can know by your thoughtful notes of support and prayer through this very hard time. It is impossible to tell you how much these notes from you have meant.
    ...See More

I might need a few holiday prayers

Q

Comments (38)
    You guys are so darn sweet to be worrying about me! Going back and forth to the hospital is made a lot easier due to it being less than 5 min from me. (If it was much of a drive, I'd be in trouble for sure). The hospital is beautiful, they've decorated it for Christmas with a huge tree in the lobby and lovely wreaths and garlands every where. The walls and carpets are soothing, lovely colors. Honestly, things like this help so much with the stress level for me. I hate hospitals that have that "cold, sterile" feeling to them. The staff here are wonderful too. So aside from going up there during the day and again in the evening, its really not bad. I'm just tired and the worrying kicks the Fibro into high gear. I do take precautions as Fibro is an auto-immune disease, which means your immune system is weakened a lot. I've had my flu shot, and my pneumonia shot. Probably the worst that will happen to me is catching a "Christmas cold"....from my DH, who always gets one every dang year. LOL. No change today. Dad is feeling ok, and getting plenty of company between me, my 3 kids, and the older grandkids. Plus long-distance calls from old friends I notified out of state. I feel awful about his poor little Yorkie tho...Zorro is 13 yrs old and doesn't understand where his "daddy" is. They have been constant companions all these years and really need one another. I'm giving Z lots of extra attention but I know its not the same. Those of you who've been so sick recently, I hope are feeling pretty much back to normal. And the rest of you-- try to avoid the flu or the darn Christmas colds! hugs, Karen
    ...See More

Prayers Needed For A Dear KT Member

Q

Comments (59)
    What a hugely hurtful thing it is to lose a precious child. I pray that you and your loved ones may share good memories of your son during these days which will help to carry you through. Sometimes I think that the boundaries between this life and the next are not as strong as we think ... sometimes it seems to me that we taste of the firstfruits of heaven while we journey through this life. I trust that he is finding a glorious new vista of life opening out before him, so that he can rejoice in not only his present but his future. May you who are left behind find comfort and peace during these coming difficult days. I pray that God may bless you and yours through it all. ole joyful
    ...See More

Positive thoughts and prayers needed please

Q

Comments (49)
    The wake was yesterday in a large Catholic church, which luckily was air conditioned. The crowds were enormous, the lines long, but well arranged once inside the church. The funeral was today and was a beautiful testament to a life well lived, but taken too early. The major roadways to and from the church to the burial grounds were blocked off-the motorcade was long. As we gathered at his final resting place in Lexington for the burial- there were NO dry eyes in the crowd. From there we went to a local Marriott for a luncheon and for more time to mingle with the family and friends who were part of this young man's life. Now the "kids" are off to be by themselves and will come "back home" to their family home for respite. We expect a crowd here tonight. Love your children, hold them close, realize what precious gifts they are. In a blink of an eye so much can change.........and please consider organ donation. So many are waiting for the gifts of continued life. Thank you for reading this.
    ...See More
  • marlene_2007
    13 years ago

Pesky, hopefully by the time you read this everything is resolved and your son is home. However, if not, I'd be happy, as I am sure other Oregonians here at GW would, to contact whomever to advise them of our outrage at a prison sentence for not paying fines, or basically for being in violation of probation on something IMO never warrants a jail sentence, but community service.

I saw that KATU piece, but I doubt any person would advocate prison over community service and having the tagger cleaning the tags.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, day two of my saga...needless to say I didn't sleep well last night, and I'm feeling emotionally wrung out. I was able to speak with his attorney, who filled me in on a lot of things that they've based his appeal on, and he also told me that the reason I haven't heard from my son is that he's in the Medical Ward. I was able to talk to the people at the jail (very kind people, guess having a sobbing mom on the phone got to them) who assured me he's being well tended to and they have mental health counsellors on hand. This was my biggest worry...his emotional state. I physically ache, I want to reach out to my boy and just touch him.

As to the appeal...apparently there were 3 things the judge (she is an attorney who is temporarily placed as a judge, called a referee judge) ruled upon that made him be in 'violation'. 1 that he 'absconded from custody'...he moved without telling his PO his new address. However he'd gotten a letter that led him to believe he'd been released from probation. The attorney told me that the PO dept had sent out letters explaining a new policy and that could have easily been construed as release from probation. In any event, he DID tell his PO his new address.

2-he hadn't paid a 'sufficient amount' on his fines. The attorney had proof of payments, but she didn't feel it was enough and berated him for that.

3, and this really made the attorney mad...she claimed he'd not done his public service. I know for a fact that he had, in fact, he'd done more than the required hours, however the agency responsible for the paperwork had not gotten it to the court prior to his hearing. The Attorney had his timesheets to show when he'd worked, but the judge refused to consider them as relevant, so she revoked his probation.

These 3 things are what is going to be appealed, and I feel that he's got a very good chance to beat at least 2 of those things, and if he beats 2, that ought to get him released from custody.

Now...my big worry...his emotional state. If he's having a breakdown, then they'd send him to the State Hospital. I am terrified for my son.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Oh Pesky, I will be praying hard for you and your son. This is so wrong. I am so so sorry...

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Have you seen the jail where he is being held before? If not, can you find/see pictures online? Depending on the jail, it could make you feel better in some ways.

fwiw, in my state, the Grand Jury is required to tour the jail. To see what condition(s) they are living in. They don't do "in person visits" at our county jail. It's not even visits with glass in between and phones to talk through. It's all done on video now. Big room with rows of TV screens. Seats screwed to floors. You look up online the time you can come visit the inmate - allowed 30 minutes once a week. You show up, screen turns on and at 30 minutes it turns off (after a two minute warning, so you know to say your goodbye's.)

You would think people would complain and not like this, but they said they don't get complaints. Only problem is when the DW and the GF both show up at the same time. ;D They said this happens at least twice a week.

It sounds like this attorney "playing" judge did many things wrong, and your son should be getting out soon.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

I kept checking this post hoping that you'd post back with some good news. It does sound like there could be a good outcome for your son. I'll keeping praying and sending hugs and I hope you get to see your son too.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

fwiw, in my state, the Grand Jury is required to tour the jail.

That is also true in Oregon. I just learned this because I started Grand Jury duty this week. I serve once a week for 2 months. We were given our choice of the day that we wanted to serve, and I picked Wednesdays. The Friday group is going to tour and inspect all of the correctional facilities in my county. They do this once a year. They interview employees and inmates and even eat the same food as those who are incarcerated.

Pesky, it sounds as if once all of your son's documentation is submitted to the court that he will be released. At least that is my hope!

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Do you have the money to bail him out if they allow it?
    I also would try to make a deal with paying more of the fine.

I remember you telling us a while back about this- a judge did the same thing to my son with air soft guns. I ended up paying most of everything just to make sure it was done. I'd rather he pay me then have to pay the courts due to stuff like this.

Towns are really hurting with the economy. Locally they've started using red light cameras; we've gotten 3 tickets so far. I don't doubt towns are doing what ever they can to bring more money in.

Anyway; if you can afford to make a bulk of the payments go away I wonder if it will help? I hate when they do this to good kids; especially for something stupid like this. Did the friends have to pay a fine too? If not; maybe they should have chipped in since he took the brunt.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is no bail, and even if we pay the fine, it won't get him released. In this case, it's an all or nothing deal...so we either have to get the whole sentence released or he has to do the whole time.

I am going to campaign hard get the whole thing thrown out. If I have to go to the Governors office I will. I do not deny that my son should have been punished...he's done his community service, and he needs to pay fines, but TO GO TO PRISON? Absurd. Simply, completely absurd.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Pesky, PLEASE email me, so I can email you back. I would like to give you some advice privately.
    Cynthia

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

Pesky,

So so sorry to hear about your son. It amazes me sometimes who they choose to put in jail for the silliest reasons, and people who have done much more serious acts get a slap on the wrist.

Hopefully, your attorney can get before a "real" judge who can rationally decipher the circumstances and get this revoked.

• awm03
    13 years ago

This is a gut-wrenching story, pesky. Is there anything we can do besides offer sympathy? Research perhaps? Find contact info? Send this thread to somebody?

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

My heart breaks for you. I will definitely pray for you and your son. The legal system is so screwed up. Hopefully you can get an appeal or reversal before he goes to prison.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I woke up this morning thinking that maybe the judge was crazy like a fox. I mean, she either had to sentence him to the full 13 months, due to a stupid glitch in the original sentence (and that is a whole other story that has me furious), or she had to toss the whole thing.

But what if she wanted to show the kid a lesson, so she sentenced him using a flimsy judgement, thus setting it up for appeal? That way he would have to do some time, but not the whole thing. I dunno...since I work with Administrative Law, I have to write up orders that stand up in court, so I can't imagine a criminal judge being so sloppy...denying evidence such as his time sheets?

Maybe I'm being overly optomistic (or it's the medication kicking in) but I think that may be something.

Today is my beautiful son's birthday. What a wretched way to spend it, but perhaps there will be some good that comes of this...maybe he'll decide to go out into the world and fight for stupid injustices like this.

You have all been the most amazing group. I've said it before, but words just cannot express my gratitude to you all for your wise and compassionate words. Thank you so much. I will continue to keep you apprised.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Yes Pesky, please keep us appraised. I find myself wondering through the day how your son is doing, and saying a small prayer for him and for all the other people who are in jail unfairly. It just ruins lives, not only for the ones in jail, but for all those who love them.

Have you been able to talk to your son? Perhaps the penal system is compassionate enough to allow at least a phone call on a birthday?

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Pesky, more energy for sanity to prevail coming from up north.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

...perhaps there will be some good that comes of this...maybe he'll decide to go out into the world and fight for stupid injustices like this.

You know, this occurred to me yesterday, but I wasn't sure if you would be okay hearing me say that. You guys are strong and your son is a good person. You will come out of this in one piece. And yes, maybe he will go on to make sure this doesn't happen to someone else.

Just want to acknowledge you for being able to see the whole possibility in this horrible thing. You are such a good Mom. Hang in there.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

That is also true in Oregon. I just learned this because I started Grand Jury duty this week. I serve once a week for 2 months. We were given our choice of the day that we wanted to serve, and I picked Wednesdays. The Friday group is going to tour and inspect all of the correctional facilities in my county. They do this once a year. They interview employees and inmates and even eat the same food as those who are incarcerated.

Here, there is new Grand Jury a month. You're not allowed to ever discuss cases since you hear more than what makes it to trial and we could be called back (but that's rare). Computer selects, questions are not asked (like civil/federal jury duty). You get selected, you're on it. We went through 150+ charges in 3 days - some people had 4-5 charges, but most were 1-2. We either sent them to trial, continued (for next Grand Jury if more evidence, etc was needed) or dismissed. The DA's office presented everything. Law enforcement came in to testify for some and the last day we had 3 people come in to testify. The hardest cases were presented the last day. Long, long day. The pictures are still etched in my mind and resurface when I least expect it.

Everyone tours the facilities. We saw lunch, but skipped. They feed them on 57cents a meal! Cornbread, black-eyed peas, graham crackers (packaged) and some sort of beef tips mixed in with rice and gravy. Didn't look bad, but nothankyou.

All in all, it was interesting and I learned a few things. The judge told us we most likely would never get to serve on any trial - ever. Especially a criminal trial. And that no good attorney would ever allow someone who had served on a Grand Jury to be on a jury.

Glad you're feeling more optimistic, Pesky. Hang in there!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I am so sorry this is happening to you and your son.
    Take it one day at a time.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

And that no good attorney would ever allow someone who had served on a Grand Jury to be on a jury.

That's interesting. You are right that we are not allowed to discuss any of the cases. Some of them may never go to trial. I guess that I lucked out when I chose Wednesdays, as that is usually the day with the lightest load. The Tuesday group gets everything from over the weekend. I was chosen at random to be the presiding juror, and have to swear in all the witnesses and then sign all the indictments at the end of the day. I think that we heard about 7 cases on the first day, and were done by noon. They scheduled one case every 20 minutes, and we got ahead of schedule. It is certainly less stressful than serving on a criminal trial jury. I did that about 12 years ago, and had very mixed feelings about the experience.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got to talk to my son tonight! His GF was at our house when he called, apparently he didn't know my cell #, it's programed into his phone & he never memorized it. He cried, I cried, and he seemed relieved to know I'm going to see him on Wednesday. He hasn't gotten the mail we've sent, so the poor kid has just been all alone, probably feeling abandoned. I think he might sleep a little better tonight, I know I will.

DD2 just texted me that she's sending him some books via Amazon, that will help him pass the time, and she'll be in town on Tues, so might stay over night so she can visit him Wed with me.

He's still in the medical unit, he said it's because he's having emotional problems, which I fully understand...poor kid. I told him that many people are sending prayers and positive thoughts his way and he wanted me to tell you all that he appreciates that so much.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

That's encouraging that you got to talk to him, pesky. I'm sure it made both of you feel better. I will definitely keep praying for him and your family.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Just checking in, hoping to hear some good news. At least you spoke to him. I hope you have something more to tell him on Wednesday - like the media is getting involved, etc.

If there is anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask. One day at a time, Pesky and DS.

• les917
    13 years ago

Oh, Pesky, as the mom of 19 and 24 year old sons, I can just imagine how much better you felt hearing his voice. At least you know that he is being cared for, not left alone and scared in a cell. And trust me, he knows he was not abandoned. He knows you are out there doing everything you can for him.

Pesky, at the risk of sounding negative, I just want to ask if you have told your sonâÂÂs attorney about your plans to contact all the âÂÂmouthsâ in the media, etc? I think that being proactive is good, and what any mother would do. But I also think you have to temper that so that instead of generating support and help, you donâÂÂt end up angering the judge and embarrassing the person enough that they dig in their heels and refuse to hear or review anything. I am guessing that the sentence is completely within the judgeâÂÂs discretion, and probably hard to get set aside, at least not right away. I just think the lawyer should know what contacts you have made and what has been said. I know that the one thing you DONâÂÂT want to do is possibly make anything worse for your sonâÂÂs chances of release.

Hugs to you, and continued good thoughts.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

pesky, thank goodness you all were able to connect. I keep thinking of him in the medical unit and thinking that it might be a blessing, actually, that they sent him there. Probably a lot safer than anywhere else.

I had a strange thought, as I was telling my family about the situation: does your son write at all? Would he be motivate to write about his experiences through this whole situation, the cascade of authoritarian misuse of power and his feelings through the whole thing? The audience would be both young folks and older folks too, to document what the judicial system has come to when it can glibly wreak such complete miscarriages of justice as what has happened to him?

I can think of several works right off the top of my head that are incredibly moving and have been written in prison about the writers' experiences in the system...

It might also give him a sense of autonomy over the experience, that he *will* live to see the other side of it and that no matter what unreal narrative the courts are trying to spin, *he* has a voice too, and can control the narrative he tells himself about it...?

(sorry if my writing seems a bit jerky today and not so aptly phrased -- I'm thinking I might be getting the flu, my legs hurt so much, and my mind is just mush. But I hope you get the gist of the idea, no matter how awkwardly phrased).

• golddust
    13 years ago

Fly, your mind doesn't sound like mush! Great idea! Also, I think Les's advice is spot on, says Golddust who advised everything wrong. LOL!

• User
    13 years ago

(((((Pesky))))) I just wanted to tell you that you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers. Even though I'm not a parent, I can understand how bewildered you have been feeling by all of this. I have two younger brothers who engaged in some "boyish nonsense" in their younger years and either of them could so easily have found themselves walking in your son's shoes. I hope and pray that this situation is rectified with the least possible amount of pain to your son and you. Have faith.

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

((((((((((Pesky & son))))))))))

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I spoke with him again today, he's been moved to the regular unit now. We had far fewer tears today! He's assured me it's not as horrific as seen on TV, just wretchedly boring. He hasn't gotten our mail yet, should get it tomorrow and he's so looking forward to that. We've put $ in his account, so he can buy some paper & things to read.

We've decided we're not going to raise a ruckus unless his appeal is not positive. BUT we plan to do something to prevent things like this from happening to others. Fly, your suggestion is amazing, and I'll mention it to him. I wouldn't doubt he could come up with something, knowing him it might be a graphic novel, but still!

Today I felt myself standing on the edge of depression. I just couldn't move and almost cancelled a planned activity, but I knew that it would just be a slippery slope if I stopped living, so I went to spend the afternoon with a girlfriend and I feel so much better. Talking with my boy certainly didn't hurt!

I sincerely believe that your thoughts and prayers are helping my family thru this horrible dark time. Thank you so much!

• barb5
    13 years ago

Pesky, I am so happy that you can send your love to your boy through those phone lines! It will sustain him.

I love Flyleft's idea too. No problem with graphic novels.

And yes, take care of yourself. You won't be any use for your DS if you are all used up.

Praying for a speedy appeal and that sanity and reason prevails.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

On some level, I'm experiencing this with you. My stomach tightens up each time I go to open this thread. I just gave an audible sigh of relief to read your latest report.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

pesky, thanks for updating us. That was a great idea you had yesterday to go out and spend time with a friend--a friend of mine always used to say "you can't feed an army if you're starving"--but I'm sure the talk was the most powerful anti-depressant.

A graphic novel would be amazing! I would imagine that it would probably drastically increase his audience in his own generation.

Come on Wednesday!

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yesterday I spoke with someone from my State Representatives office. He was amazing and so very helpful. They can help get Jon out (can't overturn the conviction) BUT they are willing to go to the DA's office and push for leniency. He thinks the appeal should be good and that there is no way the State would conceivably send him to jail for a year for this, especially given our economic times. He seemed to allude to helping with a pardon when he's released so it was a good conversation

I am so anxious about tomorrow, there are multiple visitation times so I should get in at one of them. Hoping it's the first one! I missed his call yesterday, but I think he got the mail we've sent him so far. I am feeling a bit better but wish this was all behind us already!!

• texanjana
    13 years ago

Pesky,

Glad to hear some optimistic news. Still praying for you all!

Jana

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Sounds like some good news, Pesky. That's great!

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well...I'm back on the dam*ed roller coaster. I kept my cell phone close by today thinking he might call, but it never happened. Instead I got a call from the automated system that he'd been moved to an 'intake facility'...another prison that is a clearing house to determine where they'll spend their sentences.

I am shaking with anger. We cannot visit him while he's at intake...and it could be 3-5 WEEKS!! His phone call and mail opportunities are more liberal, but no visitation. I'm sick, just sick. He called his GF this morning but apparently had no idea he was being transferred when he called her. Now we don't know if the $ we put in his account will transfer over, if he got his mail we've sent him, or how or if he'll get the packages that have been ordered for him. I don't know when we'll get to hear from him again.

Just when I start to think I can handle this, I get gut punched again. And to make matters worse, I have serious doubts about his GF sticking through this if it goes more than a few months. Just a feeling I've got.

So now I feel like I'm back to square one. I can't get many answers, but I'll try first thing in the morning with the phone calls again. Hopefully I can get thru to the attorney and they'll have gotten in touch with him. I am just fed up. My eldest DD has gotten sick and we attribute it to her being so worn down with this, younger DD is just barely functioning, and DH is starting to get depressed now, too.

This is the most awful thing that has happened to us! I can't believe how it's impacting my family. I mean, honestly, if he were some bad guy...someone who DESERVED this, I could justify it, but he's not that person! I think that is why we're all so heartsick. When my Stepson went to prison, he deserved it...even DH (and SS himself) said so. Fortunately, he came through it ok, and he's trying to get his life together, but he went in tougher and meaner in the first place.

Well, deep breaths. That's all I can do right now. I am so ANGRY!

• golddust
    13 years ago

Oh Pesky!! I'm so sorry. Where is his lawyer and what is he/she saying/doing? Do you trust his lawyer to fight for him?

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry to read about what your son, you and your whole family is going through. What was done to him seems so much like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer....so unfair.

I hope you hear from him again soon.

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

Another prolonged hug for you and all of your family.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

This is horrible, my prayers are with all of you!

Keep working with the State Rep. Don't stop. They are there for us and should be.

I can only imagine the recent events being so frustrating for you. Put that energy to work for your son.

After reading your initial post a recent event in CA came to mind. Our exiting governor reduced a sentence for the son of another political guy. Said that the sentence was too harsh because he did not actually kill the person. Whatever! And your boy is looking at time for stickers on a pole! Community service to clean up but time????

• leahcate
    13 years ago

Cannot believe the horror and grief you are having to endure. I am so very, very sorry and sending you all the best vibes that this shall be resolved in the quickest and best way possible.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YIPPEEE!!! We got a letter from our boy! It's hard to read without crying, but overall he's doing ok. He's safe, has gained a reputation as being an artist, and his drawings are in demand. People are decent to him, no one has threatened him or tried to hurt him. He is bored out of his mind and missing his family desperately. He's currently at an intake facility, where they decide where he'll be sent to finish out his sentence. IF he has to do the whole 13 months, it'll likely be in a minimum security and even possibly at a place where he can go work offsite. The boredom is killing him, gives him too much time think about missing everyone.

There is more to share, nothing really new to update, just a lot of great support from people. I'm exhausted, emotionally and physically, but at least now I've heard from my boy again, and can read that letter over and over at my leisure. But for now, I'm off to make dinner....his girlfriend and my eldest DD are coming soon, so I need to feed everyone. Just thought I'd update you all.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Thanks Pesky! I popped in here about an hour or so ago, wondering if there was news.

How nice to have letter!! Tangible proof that the kid is okay. Happy for you.

Enjoy your supper with family. Hope everyone can enjoy a bit of your relief with you.

• User
    13 years ago

((((((Pesky)))))) I'm so glad you heard from him. I can imagine how that thrilled your heart, just to hold something from your boy in your hands. It sounds like he's adjusting, and I'm happy to hear that others are treating him decently.

I so hope that he doesn't have to do the entire 13 months. The statement above about this being like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer is so true. I just cannot comprehend what benefit "the authorities" believe this kind of sentence brings about. It's enough to make a person extremely bitter, and I truly hope that you and your son can rise above that. I know it would be hard for me to do so.

• les917
    13 years ago

So glad that you heard from him, Pesky .That is like having a piece of him with you. I hope this all gets resolved and he is home soon, but it sounds like he is doing fine under the circumstances.

• rucnmom
    13 years ago

What a messed up system! In MA, a guy who was sentenced to 3 life terms was given parole and then killed a cop the day after Christmas.

I feel the same way about how discipline is meted out at my school, the good kids who do the slightest thing wrong get the book thrown at them and the career hoodlums get next to nothing in terms of consequence.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I have a distant girlfriend whose son got into drugs and robbed a house. He was sent to an intake facility for 30 days and ended up in a church based rehab facility, in direct opposition to the intake recommendation. (He was a mess!) It turned his life around and his short stay in prison was a major wake up call. Two years later, he is doing great.

That kid had so many priors before this happened... It's hard to fathom your son getting the exact same treatment for plastering posters around town. I hope he finds some good from this experience though it's hard to imagine what he'll learn. More hugs to you, Pesky! This is incomprehensible.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Pesky; I've been silently reading all week & wanted to say that I think of you every day. I hope this will be a bad memory soon.

~Hugs

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Once again, I can't thank you all enough for your support and encouraging words.

Today, the front page of the paper had a special article about the DOC facing serious budget cuts. They're talking that there may be lay offs and possible prison closures. Sooo...I suspect that may be good news for my son. I can't imagine they'd keep him incarcerated for a probation violation. Especially in light of the original offense and the fact that he's got a stellar reputation despite his teenaged stupidity. It's not even a drug crime!!