SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Need Some Healthy Recipes

doucanoe
15 years ago

My resolution is to lose 20lb by June. I am not following any specific diet plan, but am using the glycemic index and my old weight watchers exchange program stuff as a guide to try to eat healthier and drop some weight.

It's been a week and I am already bored with my options! Looking for some T&T meals that are interesting yet healthy.

Here is a really good soup I made from a book that I forgot I had. What healthy recipes would you care to share?

Mushroom, Barley and Beef Soup

From "Living the GI Diet" by Rick Gallop

4-6 servings

1 T canola oil

8oz lean ground beef

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb mushrooms, sliced

1 carrot, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

1T fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)

2 T tomato paste

1 T balsamic vinegar

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

4 c beef broth (low-fat, low-sodium)

3 c water

1/2 c barley

1 bay leaf

1 can (15oz) black beans, drained & rinsed

Heat oil in large deep pot over medium high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, fo 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, carrot, celery and thyme and cook until all the liquid has evaporated from the mushrooms, about 15 minutes.

Add tomato paste, vinegar, salt & pepper, stir to coat vegetables.Add the broth, water, barley and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Add the beans and heat through. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Chicken option: You can use ground chicken or turkey for the beef and use chicken broth instead of beef broth.

Linda

Comments (21)