SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momtoblondie_gw

I might need a reality check . . .

momtoblondie
10 years ago

I have been a long time lurker, and an infrequent poster . . . I just love learning from you all! I need help figuring out if what I want is even possible. We have our land and our house will be listed this spring. We are within 10 years of retirement but still have very young children at home, keeping within budget is paramount, NUMBER 1 . . . but of course I still want a home that will function for us. With that being said, we are looking for a two story house with a simple footprint and simple roofline, sq ft absolutely can not go above 2500, less is better. I tend to lean towards a more rustic design maybe even craftsman, a simple gable roof with a timber beam portico would be lovely. Attached garage a must! I really want a main floor master, with laundry access thru master closet, mudroom with lockers, bathroom, and desk area. Upstairs I would love two bedrooms with a good size bonus room for the kids. My question is can I fit all of this in UNDER 2500, where do people find simple plans that still have todays designer touches. Are there any plans out there that dont have grand staircases and two story rooms? I am more than happy to tuck stairs somewhere where less understated. A lot of the two story plans also have an office/den in front, I have no use for that space. How do you shift a plan to utlize that space else where, but still keep a proper foyer? Just a few questions, ultimately I know I am heading towards having a custom custom plan but I would like to walk into an appointment having a little more direction that what I currently have. Thanks!

Comments (20)