SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

need help with a reality and/or sanity check

3katz4me
14 years ago

I've been reading and studying for months now and I think I am finally settling on some decisions but I'm starting to wonder if I'm nuts with what I'm trying to do. If you can make sense of this description please register a vote - crazy or not?

We are a household of two adults with one bathroom on our main floor where our bedroom is and one bathroom on the lower level of our house where our guest room is. We have no interest in expanding to do a master bathroom addition but we are in the market to gut our 37 year old main bath which is about 7 x 7.5. Also no reasonable way to expand the footprint of the bathroom but I want to have a nice, small bathroom. Swinging door will be replaced by an opaque glass pocket door - glass since the room also has no windows and this will make it a little lighter but hopefully not expose people's privates when they're on the throne. It will by necessity have a tub shower combo. The tub/shower plan is where I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do is nuts but if you think the glass door is crazy I'm open to hearing that as well.

I have found a 66" x 32" acrylic tub by MTI that will fit perfectly into my current space. It's a nice deep soaking tub that will lend itself to being a tub for two even though it's not intended for that purpose.

In order to do the two person concept, I need to place my tub filler on the side. I cannot plumb it into the side wall because of pocket doors, duct work, etc. that are in the wall. I can however do a deck mounted tub filler in the inside corner of this tub (assuming I can find one small enough to not encroach on the bather at the wrong end of the tub).

Along with that arrangement I've picked out a hinged shower screen vs. the full sliding door arrangement. Also planning on some kind of hand held shower on a bar - no separate shower spray - just one adjustable head that could be used for showering and lowered and used for rinsing hair in tub.

So I feel like I'm trying to do all these oddball things in this limited space and I've not found anyone else who has done this. So far it is all looking feasible according to my contractor but I'm starting to wonder....

What do you think?

Comments (29)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals