SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Help with reality check on ideas - sink basin

15 years ago

I'm starting to plan a downstairs 3/4 bath and am wondering if I am off base. Current vanity is 36" wide x 22" deep in a 5 x 8 room -- standard tract stuff. Bathroom is primarily a powder room and I want it to be highly decorative. I'm considering being my own GC and hiring plumber, tile, d'wall, granite subs.

Sink basin, idea 1: essentially copy the Restoration Hardware Gramercy or Milano washstand using my granite leftover from a kitchen remodel. The granite is only 20" wide so I would need to find a smaller sink (undermount preferred unless there's a reason not to do so). I could buy the Gramercy legs and get a granite fabricator to cut out a top and a plumber to install, correct?

First dumb question: Kohler's site shows a number of sinks that seem small -- for example, Kelston -- 14" or 15.5" wide. Is there a minimum setback between back of sink and wall for faucets? In other words, with a 20" deep countertop and __[x]__ necessary behind sink for faucet, what size sink am I seeking? I'm planning a faucet with handles that only turn one-quarter of the way, and I would like to use a widespread faucet.

Second dumb question: cast iron or vitreous china/fireclay?

Third dumb question: to what extent does the weight of the sink/countertop rest on legs and what extent is it bolted into the wall? Does it matter which? In other words, am I better off getting four legs instead of two?

Sink basin, idea 2: I love my Shaw's kitchen sink and have seen small apron front sinks used in bathrooms in a couple of idea mags. I would use the 24 x 18 sink.

Is this concept off base completely?

Is there a way to put a Shaw's sink in my 20" deep granite? I'm sort of thinking that if the 18" sink protrudes forward a bit (1"?) in my 20" granite, I would have 3 inches behind sink for faucet.

If I do this idea, I think I would need some sort of vanity (rather than just a console sink look), right? I tend to like minimalist vanities such as RH Beach Street or Chamfered.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this, so pics would be appreciated. I'm linking to the RH main sinks page, if that helps.

Last dumb question in this post: if I try to stick with satin nickel finish everywhere, will I drive myself crazy?

More dumb questions to follow at a later date.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Sinks

Comments (3)