SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg_gw

Need reality check for proposed main bath layout

kmcg
11 years ago

We moved into an old house in which the only full bath has a tub, toilet, and a wall hung corner sink. We get to renovate and expand the room a little bit; I'd love to get input on this proposed layout.

The interior dimensions are about 7'9" on the vertical and 8'3" on the horizontal. At the top is a stained glass window that will end up being a focal point of the room. The doorway to the right leads out to the very end of the master bedroom - this is new and optional. The doorway at the bottom of the drawing is to the main hall.

The doorway to the master is my biggest question. Because this is the only bathroom upstairs, I thought it might make sense to create an entry point from the master. My husband and I live here alone most of the time; kids sometimes grace us with their presence. So having access from the master is not a huge issue for us in terms of privacy. But I'm thinking for future users, it would be good. I know it won't pass as a true ensuite master, but it's the best we could do short of cannabilizing an entire bedroom in order to create a second bath. Does anyone out there think it's a crazy idea? A good idea? Better alternatives for that space?

There's a notable lack of storage in the room, which is why I'm proposing a large vanity with lots of drawers. I will also have two recessed medicine cabinets above the sink, for more storage. Do you see any opportunities I'm missing to better use the space?

(Oh, and please ignore the lack of a bathtub. Hubby says no, and we compromised by putting one in the new bath we just added in the basement. Not ideal, but the walk-in shower was just way more important to us.)

Finally, I need help laying out the shower. It will be on a 3'x4' Kohler cast iron shower base. It will be all glass across the 4' front - facing the vanity. I'm thinking a 28" door on the right, and a 20" panel on the left. Does that sound about right?

As for where to put the fixtures in the shower, major confusion here! I'll have a wall-mount showerhead plus a bar with a handheld, and just a single control. Where do I put them? At first I was thinking I'd do a half wall plus glass on the end of the shower that faces the window. But then I realized it would be lots cheaper to take that wall all the way up, saving on the frameless glass fabrication. This full wall also would allow me to run the plumbing there. Alternatively, plumbing could go on the wall at the bottom of the drawing, but only if I have the main door swing out into the hall. I'd like to do a pocket door instead, which means a no-go on the plumbing. That leaves the wide wall at the back of the shower. I'm having a hard time envisioning how it would work to put the shower fixtures on that wider wall. Is there any way I can do that without all the spray being directed right at the gap between the door and the fixed glass panel? Can anyone suggest the most logical, useful way to arrange the fixtures? For example, if I wanted the shower control within easy reach of the door, where would I put it? And should the handshower bar be close to the showerhead, or is it better to put them on walls that are at right angles to each other.

Okay, I realize I just asked a million questions, and I beg your pardon! But I'd certainly appreciate feedback.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio