SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handust

I need a reality check on the cost of quality furniture

Lisa
17 years ago

I'm new to this and the home decorating forums and have been finding so much help here. I'm faced with the challenge of completely decorating our entire house, now that we are nearing the end of a major addition and whole house renovation.

I'm finding that I know zippo about furniture. I'll be spending a lot of time just reading up on everything so I ask as few silly questions as possible. But I guess I'm just trying to put myself in the right frame of mind so I know what to expect when it comes time to actually make some purchases. I've been having a bit of a bracing reality check on how much quality furniture actually costs. I realize that, like everything, you can probably pay just as much as you want or are able and there will be a category happy to collect your money. I guess I'm just trying to figure out where a good starting point is, dollar wise, for quality furnishings.

For instance, I will be looking for a sectional for our new family room. I've had the experience of buying a sofa that started sagging in the middle, etc., so I'd like to avoid all that from the start. My good friend bought a fabulous custom sectional from ABC Carpet & Home in NYC. I was very interested until she told me it cost $17k! It is probably worth every penny, but I flat out can't afford that. Not even half that. But now I'm worried that anything that I might have considered buying before will be sub-par. Not from a snooty standpoint, but just from a quality standpoint. Her sectional feels so lush, rock solid and has incredible support -- it feels like it might last 100 years!

Do "normal people" spend this kind of money for furniture? I'll admit, I don't think I've ever spent more than about $2500 on a piece of furniture. We've bought some furniture from Domain, which is about as high end as we've gotten. We're not exactly bumpkins -- we live in northern NJ, DH is a lawyer in NYC, we have nice things -- but I just don't know if I can bring myself to spend this kind of money on furniture. Part of it is that we have two kids, one of whom has ADHD and is prone to making his little marks on furniture. I have to be realistic and accept that $15k furniture is just not in our future and would be unwise for our lifestyle.

Does that mean quality furniture is not an option for us? Does it exist in an under $3-5k (and preferably less) category? Or am I relagated to veneer furniture from Pottery Barn (which I happen to like the looks of, but veneer furniture has less of a chance of standing up to my son than solid wood!) Will a sectional that costs under $4k be a mistake?

I'm just hoping to find that there are quality options available without having to sell my firstborn.

Comments (7)