SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lifeisgood50_gw

Reality Check-Kitchen Cabinet Pricing

lifeisgood50
14 years ago

Hi All--First time poster and I need a reality check on cabinet pricing. I've been working with a KD for several months that only carries one line of cabinets--Yorktowne. From my research and past experience, they seem to be very "middle-of-the-road" semi custom cabinets and have 2 quality grades. They appear to be a bit limited in finishes, but quality is good and assumed I could find something I like. I selected the KD after calling several and she was the most responsive. Measurements were taken and I was given a rough estimate of between $14000 and $15000 for cabinets only. Well, after months of working on the design I asked for a quote on the "almost" final design. I was deciding between two door styles and thought the price may help break the tie. I knew I had picked a couple extras that would increase the cost but had no idea by how much! Imagine my surprise when the estimate came in at over $25,000--cabinets only! I still have installation costs and a few appliance replacements as well as a backsplash to factor into the project. I'm keeping countertops (BTW--anyone know about challenges of saving a Zodiaq countertop when replacing cabinets?)and flooring. I spoke to the KD and explained that this was way outside the budget. She sliced off few extras-- middle quality grade which means no self closing drawers,remove glazing, and deluxe panels and install beadboard in place of panels on the back side of penisula. She suggested I just paint it. I'm feeling demoralized that for $18,000 (the new price after paring down the project) I'm expected to settle for a kitchen that's only a small bit better than what I already have. There seems to be no room for negotiation. How does this cabinet-only price compare to others? I read that one should expect about another 30% for installation. Can anyone confirm? I intend to contact other KDs who have other lines. I live in a high cost area- Northern VA. I welcome any insight on impressions about the cost. Am I likely to find a better deal?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor