SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

Annie's Honey Wheat - High Altitude Help

lsr2002
13 years ago

I have made two half recipes of the Honey Wheat bread, dividing all the ingredients in half except the egg. I used one whole egg. I made the dough in my bread machine and baked in a 5" x 9" aluminum bread pan. Because our air is so dry, I did add an extra 2t water during the first kneading. One loaf lasts us about ten days, stored first loosely wrapped in plastic on the counter, and then in the fridge (I know, I know, refrigerating isn't recommended, but I didn't want to slice it and freeze it.

The first loaf smelled wonderful, but was too "fluffy" for our taste. It rose to immense height and width over the top of the pan in far less time than the recipe suggested. The flavor was great, it didn't collapse, but was just too soft. I did use an instant read thermometer and baked the bread to just a hair under 200 degrees, so it was fully baked.

I did some online research and learned that for my altitude, a little over 5200 ft, I should have reduced the yeast by 25%.

I reduced the yeast for the second loaf and it had a much better texture but still rose over the pan too much, although it was not as huge as the first. It still took way less time after shaping to rise to double. Both loaves had a fine even grain.

Should I reduce the yeast more? If so, by how much? Or should I just pinch off some dough and make two rolls along with the loaf? Would less yeast, and therefore a longer rising time, make a better loaf?

We love the Honey Wheat bread and my two cooking goals for 2011 are to make most of our own bread, since the bread we like is almost $5.00 a loaf. And to make more of my own salad dressings and save most of the $4.50 per 12 ounces of the brand we like. We can buy them, but the prices are offensive to me.

The only other bread baking experience I have had at this altitude is using Julia Child's baguette recipe, with much help for Ann-T, and the No Knead Breads from both Sullivan St Bakery and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day; so little yeast is used in these breads that they were fine, plus they were not baked in a loaf pan so were not confined. And Ann was so helpful that the French bread was a success too.

I loved going to Paney Camp and learned so much from Teresa, but that was at sea level and we didn't use a bread machine.

Thanks for your advice!

Lee

Comments (4)