SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctybo

Ideas for designing a front porch around this awful balcony?

ctybo
16 years ago

And I thought I was so smart! I'm building this small cabin out of pocket and making decisions as I get the money for the next project....Problem is, I have made some decisions that have me stuck. The original front to this cabin had a cute porch, 6'x8' with a gable roof along the lines of the main roof which is a 12/12 pitch. But I just HAD TO HAVE a balcony off the master (and only) bedroom and the builder who works for me decided one day to build it before I had a chance to let him know what I wanted. He's reluctant to tear it down and start over- I don't blame him - but that's what I really would like for him to do...OR... change the way this one looks. To me, this one appears too large for the scale of the small arch doors and I'm not sure how to fix that. But the real and next problem I have is that I can't figure out a pleasing design for the porch with that balcony being so prominent. I want and need a front porch! Can anybody come up with a design that integrates the balcony with a porch, either a small one or even one that goes the length of the house which is only 20 feet?

I'm stuck; it's my own fault, but this is my first and probably my only chance to ever build. Mistakes happen, but does anyone know what I can do to work this out? The balcony stays but can be modified, in fact I have iron balusters for the balcony and the porch railing if I can ever get that far.

Thank you all! Please help me get through this problem....creative and unconventional is OK with me. Please! All ideas appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (18)