SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_968482407

Updating our entire exterior: balcony design, front door ideas?!

Belle Kad
2 years ago

Hi everyone! We're completely renovating the inside of our home, brought in new white windows, new doors etc. but we're struggling a bit to decide on some of the exterior features. The photo attached is a sort of mishmash of existing and new - the brick on the ground level will be gone and the whole house will be smooth stucco. The ground floor windows are no longer bay windows, but all windows including both of the sliding glass doors will have the traditional-ish grids. We have a dark gray shingle roof.

For color scheme we're thinking white stucco, with a smokey grey/blue as an accent color (garage door and shutters). We're thinking of doing a large (42"x8') solid wood door to bring some warmth to the front and make a little bit of a statement there (no sidelight like in the drawing).

We recently decided to split the giant balcony, creating two private patios on each side of the second floor instead of the one connected one. An older, wooden balcony is there now that we originally loved but doesn't fit with the house anymore. I've been trying to look around at what style balcony might work and it has been pretty hard! Our house is updated and modern but not at all contemporary, we've been calling it "transitional" since the beginning.

We want to make the front door a pretty big statement, so with the area above it opening up, we want to build out some exterior trim (I'm sure there's a more technically accurate term for this) similar to the second photo I've attached (found on Pinterest). We're also planning on growing some Jasmine up and over the front door, too. Would an awning/portico look better?

I was thinking maybe a black iron railing for the balconies to bring some contrast in? Would that add too many visual elements? Do we lose the shutters entirely?

Lots of questions, but after driving myself insane on google images, houzz images and pinterest i thought I'd reach out for some other opinions.

Thank you thank you in advance!

Comments (4)