SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Should I get a rice cooker?

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

I just burned my umpteenth batch of rice and I'm kinda thinking now about getting a rice cooker. I have a tiny kitchen and my usual policy is--minimal gadgets of any kind. Plus I seem to move a lot and more gadgets means more to pack. But I do use some gadgets all the time and they enhance my life. My two heavy duty favorites are the crockpot and the food processor. I also love my stick blender. And I have been a very happy camper since I bought a nice heavy duty small wok a couple of years ago. I had a big one that I never used and it had a wooden handle that I wrecked cooking over a campfire. But my smaller cast aluminum one with the non-stick interior comes out for dinner a lot. I also ADORE my bread maker, and am forever in debt to Ohiomom for gifting it to me!

The arguments for investing in a rice cooker are that I ADORE brown rice and eat it a lot. I'd eat it more if I wasn't so busy and could plan more for cooking it. I often make a big batch on the weekend and have it during the week or freeze some for later. I'm such a distracted cook I am forever burning the rice. I eat almost exclusively brown rice, that's the kind I like. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share? I see they come in various sizes, I usually make 3 cups cooked rice, so I'm guessing I dont' need a big one for price or size? Does this make rice a "fix it and forget it" kind of thing?

Comments (79)

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This one looks like it has some potential in a lot of areas. But it is so much money! (100 + bucks for me is a lot). I can get a small rice cooker for under 50 bucks. But being a whole foods devotee, I might use it a lot. I dunno.

Fagor multipurpose electric cooker (crockpot, pressure and rice)

• User
    15 years ago

"Should I get a Rice Cooker?"

NO!!!!!

There is no one that loves gadgets and small appliances more than I do, but a rice cooker is probably the one appliance I wouldn't have even if one was given to me. Honestly, there is nothing easier than cooking rice.

Cook it just like pasta. Large pot of water, salted, one or two cups of rice, cook until rice is almost tender (al dente) drain, put back in the pot, cover with a tea towel or paper towels, lid and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to steam in its own heat. Perfect rice every time. Basmati takes only 7 or 8 minutes, and long grain rice is done in about 9 to 10 give or take a minute or two. Brown takes longer, but can be cooked the same way. Just set your timer so that you don't forget to check on it or it will be overcooked. But that goes for whatever you are cooking.

Nothing easier.

Ann

• Related Discussions

Costco rice cooker

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't know what brand the Costco one is, but we have a cheap rice cooker that works just fine. I'd try it out at home, and if it doesn't work as well as you like, take it back. Gotta love Costco's return policy!
    ...See More

If you could only have one: Slow cooker / rice cooker

Q

Comments (26)
    LindaC, it's all in what you're comfortable with. Remember, I'm the person who has had a couple of house fires and so I don't ever light a fire in the fireplace and I refuse to burn candles. It's my own particular phobia... I do have an old Presto pressure cooker which I don't use a lot but I really like it for certain thins. Elery uses it to make beans, I'd prefer to just dump mine in the crockpot in the morning. I do use it to make chop suey for Ashley, even slightly tough round comes out fork tender. I don't like taditional chili in the crockpot, the ground beef "overcooks". I am a huge consumer of vegetables, though, and sometimes make a vegetarian chili that's delicious. Plus, like Chase, it gets used as a "warming" device for office potlucks, to keep soup warm and even to make oatmeal because I'm not a morning person and would never make oatmeal before I go to work, and I detest the instant stuff. Annie
    ...See More

Q on rice cooker

Q

Comments (10)
    I used to have a rice cooker, just a cheapo one, and it cooked it just fine. It was a Salton. I got rid of it, just because I didn't like the crust it would form at the bottom; not knowing that the crust is a prized part of cooked rice. I now cook rice on the stove and it comes out wonderful, except that I too have to watch it for boil-overs. I have an Aroma single burner induction and a coil electric stove. My induction burner cooks too fast on #1 (and there's no lower setting). I do what I do on the coil stove.......have part of the pot off the heat. This controls the heat (for me).
    ...See More

Rice Cooker Steam Problem

Q

Comments (11)
    Hmm, thanks for the ideas everyone. Since it's going to be used so often, I'd rather just leave it out, which unfortunately eliminates the island idea. And I'm a little worried about ruining the front face of the cabinets if I move it to the front of the countertop when in use because of the huge amount of steam it releases. It seems like it would get hit peripherally even if not directly underneath.
    ...See More
  • rachelellen
    15 years ago

Wow Jessy, I never would have thought about cooking anything but rice in a rice cooker! Being able to use it for other things would make it more attractive to me, as one of the reasons I never bought another one after my friend's mother taught me to cook it on the stove (I gave my old one to my brother, I think) is that one can only have SO many appliances around and I prefer multi-purpose ones.

I rarely forget my rice, as I'm usually preparing the rest of the meal while it's cooking, but lpinkmountain, if you're prone to getting involved in other things and burning it, I'd go for a rice cooker. Cleaning burnt rice off the bottom of a pan can be a chore, not to mention all the glutinous liquid burnt onto the burners and stovetop. :D

• jessyf
    15 years ago

If you DO decide to get a rice cooker, look on ebay and thrift shops. I bought my last one at Target for about $15. I just wanted a cheapy turn on/off/keep it warm. DH wanted a fancy $$$ fuzzy logic, but I think those are best for families that do rice for every meal.

I think the Hensberger book has recipes for oatmeal. On the Amazon page that I linked above, on the left side, there is a 'search inside this book' so you can look at the index, table of contents, and you can figure out how to find individual recipes (but not print) so you can get an idea what other things you can cook in it to get the most you can out of the appliance.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

(Rachel: I didn't see your post. LOL, when I went through the Hensperger book a few months ago, I smiled and thought of you because I found a char sui bao recipe! Some rice cookers come with steamers - my cheapy Adora did, but I haven't used it yet)

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

Another vote sorta against it. I have a Zojirushi 10 cup cooker that I got about ten years ago; I have maybe used it a dozen times. I find that cooking rice on the stovetop is so easy that I don't use the dedicated appliance.

I generally cook rice like a pasta using a steamer insert. Boil the pasta in water (at least 4 times the volume of rice) for about 8 or 9 minutes, drain it into the steamer insert, run hot tap water through the rice in the steamer to flush away excess starch, put about one inch of hot water in the bottom of the pot and place the steamer insert over the hot water, cover the steamer insert and boil the water at a low boil for about 10 minutes. Basically, boil for 8, rinse, steam for 10. Makes nice fluffy individual grains, not at all sticky. (So this wouldn't do well for sushi rice.)

Now, having said that, if I WERE to get a rice cooker now, I'd go for one of those fancy-schmancy ones that can do GABA brown rice, porridge, etc. That increased utility might make it worthwhile.

One argument for a dedicated rice cooker: if you cook rice every day, it is a convenience--especially in that it frees you from having to time the cooking just so. Cook the rice, it'll stay warm for a while so it gives you some flexibility in cooking other stuff, and you don't have to worry about when the rice is done. Get one with a nonstick interior for ease of cleanup.

• gellchom
    15 years ago

I have lots of space, and I eat lots of rice, but I still don't want a rice cooker.

I just don't have any trouble cooking it on the stove, so there is no need to buy another appliance that takes up space but only does one thing. I use twice as much water as rice, bring the water to a boil with a bit of salt, add the rice, cover, turn down the heat and simmer 20 minutes -- using a timer! Brown rice takes longer, but I have no trouble with that on the stove, either. Tastes exactly the same as when my friends who use rice cookers make rice.

I freeze extra rice, then defrost and heat by putting it in a colander and pouring over boiling water.

• beanthere_dunthat
    15 years ago

This is when I tell my favorite Julia Child story. Someone asked her if there was anything she found difficult to cook. Her reply was, "Toast. I always burn the toast."

When you say you hate to cook rice or that it's your kitchen demon, 47 people want to tell you how EASY it is. I know it's easy. I know how to do it. It's just one of those things that I don't do well because I get distracted or the blasted stovetop is so inconsistent that I have to stand over it. I usually detest one-purpose gadgets, but my rice cooker is the exception. And it's hardly single purpse.

IPink, I have the cookbook Jessy mentions -- I got it with the rice cooker -- and it is very good. I bought a Zoji fuzzy logic cooker for more than I've ever paid for any gadget, and I still say it's worth every penny. (Bought it from Prairie Hill Grain, BTW.) It makes very nice white, brown, wild, basmiati, sushi, jasmine rices as well as porridge, grits, lentils, applesuace, etc. It's one of the few things on my counter because I use it so often. It's very easy to clean, and I love that it has timer and "keep warm" functions.

I've also had one of the cheaper ($20) on/off rice cookers. It did the job, but was not as versitile or dependable. When we wore it out, I decided to splurge. I've not been disappointed.

On the other hand, I can't fathom why someone would want a gadget for just making hot chocolate or just cooking quesadillas. After all, "it's so easy". :D To each his own. I know HOW to make rice. I simply HATE making rice. I do like to eat it, however. To me, the "gadget" is well worth it.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Egg-zackle, Beanthere! One cook's lifesaver is another cook's useless junk. And sometimes, we can find out that something we can't imagine using is actually quite handy.

I would never in the world have bought a rotisserie oven for example. For what? I know how to bake a chicken! But a friend gave me one, and my husband and I absolutely love the rotisserie chicken. Don't use it for anything else, but it's worth it just for that.

Ditto my crock pot. What's the matter with simmering things on the stove? But there are things I just like better cooked in it.

Jessy, char siu bao in a rice cooker? Jeepers, the tech has obviously improved since I had my little, one button (on/off) cooker!

• elisamcs
    15 years ago

I've been debating with myself about replacing the rice cooker I gave to my son. I've not been successful with microwaving the rice, which I used to do before. I've been exploring all the rice cooker groups - there are lots of them - and looking at the recipes for everything from macaroni and cheese to ribs to cake that can be made in the rice cookers. Folks say it's a low-pressure, pressure cooker. Hmm. Has anyone made anything other than rice in their cookers?

• pkguy
    15 years ago

Like I mentioned about if you don't want a one trick wonder take a look at getting an "electronic" pressure cooker that has rice cooking capabilities. Mine doesn't particulary say it cooks rice but when I tried it out of interest I found it cooked rice perfectly and fast. That way you have the all the other features of a pressure cooker at your disposal as well.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

My question is, how long is it between the time you put the rice to simmer and the time it burns, and how high is the flame for simmer? I ask because I always put the flame on the lowest possible setting, and even if I forget about it, I don't remember ever burning rice. Now, it sometimes does create a nice crispy crust on the bottom which my mother used to call "omeara" (don't know if that's french or arabic or possibly some other language, she was multilingual). I LOVE that crunchy stuff but it only works if you leave it on that super low flame for a long time and I usually don't have the patience to wait for it. So it would take even longer for it to burn, like an hour maybe?

And... usually if I'm making rice, it's to go with something else, so between the rice and whatever else I'm making, I'm pulled back into the kitchen anyway.

Maybe a rice cooker is one of those things you don't realize you can't live without till you have one. I'm also very averse to adding any more gadgets/appliances to my current collection but heck, if you really feel it will make your life easier go for it. Get a cheap one like some above have suggested so that if it doesn't turn out to be as great as you anticipate, you can just donate it to a thrift shop. For $15 or $20, it's probably worth the experiment.

• pkguy
    15 years ago

But the problem with the cheap ones is that they do burn the rice sometimes which was the original posters complaint about not wanting burned rice. The cooking vessels in them are on the too thin side, aluminum etc. The pricier fuzzy cookers and pc's have much thicker cooking vessels and adjust automatically.

• jimster
    15 years ago

"Get a cheap one like some above have suggested so that if it doesn't turn out to be as great as you anticipate, you can just donate it to a thrift shop. For $15 or $20, it's probably worth the experiment."

That's good advice. The cheap ones made today perform remarkably well. The one I bought most recently (a Proctor Silex I think it is) at my supermarket was less than $20. It has an aluminum steam basket which sits on top if you want to steam some vegetables while cooking the rice. It has the keep warm feature. For most purposes I recommend a 3 cup model because it takes up little counter space. For a larger family 5 cups would be good.

BTW, these cookers are based on a clever way of shutting off the cooking automatically. In the center of the heating element there is a thermostat which presses against the bottom of the pot. Cooking time is determined by how much water is in the pot. When the water boils away, the temperature of the pot suddenly rises and the thermostat cuts off the cooking heat. The keep warm heat remains on. It's foolproof if the water is measured properly using the cup provided.

Jim

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

If you are really thinking about getting a rice cooker, why not get something that will cook your rice plus be able to use for numerous other things.

Steamed vegetables, shrimp, etc. are excellent in this and you can add herbs along with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black and Decker Steamer/Rice Cooker

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I'm firmly in the "NO" camp. Rice is super easy to make if you use a heavy bottomed pot. I usually use 1 part rice to 2 parts water (or a bit less water) and a dab of butter or oil and some salt. I bring it to a boil then turn the heat to low. After 20-30 minutes I remove it from the heat but keep the lid on and take the lid off for a few minutes before serving. I can barely make anything to go with it before the rice is done.
    But..if you think you might want one, get it! I know some poeple love their rice cookers.

• weed30 St. Louis
    15 years ago

When you say you hate to cook rice or that it's your kitchen demon, 47 people want to tell you how EASY it is. I know it's easy. I know how to do it. It's just one of those things that I don't do well because I get distracted or the blasted stovetop is so inconsistent that I have to stand over it. I usually detest one-purpose gadgets, but my rice cooker is the exception. And it's hardly single purpose.

beanthere_dunthat

Yes, yes, YES. Since I got my rice cooker, it's actually taken some *stress* away. I just put in the rice and water, turn it on and forget about it. Whenever I'm ready for it, I have perfect rice.

Now, if someone could make a mashed potato gadget, I'd be in heaven. I HATE making them. My friends laugh at me, because I will happily spend an hour or more chopping/mincing/sauteeing/etc. for other things, which they'd never do, but b*tch about mashed potatoes :)

• User
    15 years ago

Weed what part of making mashed potatoes do you not like? Peeling the potatoes, boiling a pot of water or actually mashing them? If it is the first two I can't help you, but if it is the actually mashing, just get yourself a ricer (sorry). Makes mashing potatoes"easy". (sorry again)LOL.

Ann

• weed30 St. Louis
    15 years ago

Ann, I don't like peeling the potatoes, boiling a pot of water, or actually mashing them.

• fotostat
    15 years ago

I came here to make a thread about rice, but I see this one is here.

I live alone and would like to start cooking simple things. My Mother has been cooking for 40 years and is who I call when I need advice.

As for cooking rice, I just can't get it right. Two days ago I came close, but still didn't do it. I read as much as I could find and I watched about 30 Youtube.com videos about cooking rice, they were all pretty clear. I followed it exactly, and the top 2/3cup of rice came out pretty good, but the bottom 1/3cup of rice was pastie and the bottom layer was crusty and stuck to the non-stick pot.

I used the smallest flame I could yet it still messed up.

My Mother, who usually cooks everything from scratch and does everything the "right" (harder) way tells me to just put rice in a big pot of water to cook it and then use a strainer to get the water out. She apparently had trouble with the reduction method too.

So if I buy that $29 Panasonic rice cooker from Amazon, it will cook me perfect rice? $30 would be worth the lack of stress to me. It says 3.3 cups but I won't need more than 1-2 cups at a time. Coould I cook only 1 cup in it?

• weed30 St. Louis
    15 years ago

OK, just had to have a little fun there.

Seriously, I think part of it is that I am inexplicably picky about how I make my most hated dish to make. I use russets, and I bake them first. Then I let them cool a bit, scoop the flesh out and put them through a potato ricer, similar to what you have pictured. They can only cool a certain amount, because if they are too cool, I'll have to nuke them which makes me think they'll lose their texture. But the perfect cool is is still hot enough to burn my fingers when I hold them to scoop the flesh out.

While they cool, I put milk and butter in a bowl and heat it in the micro so it won't cool the potatoes when I mix it in. Then it's never enough butter, so I have to heat more and mix that in. And salt. More salt. I have carpal tunnel from cranking the salt mill for my potatoes.

Hanging over all of this prep and the number of things that need to be washed later to make one freakin' side dish is the spectre of GLUEY or DRY mashed potatoes. I feel like if I don't make them at just the right time during the overall dinner preparation, they will get cold/gluey/dry. In fact I am stressed out just typing all of this and need to lay down.

• jimster
    15 years ago

"So if I buy that $29 Panasonic rice cooker from Amazon, it will cook me perfect rice?"

Yes. That would be a good rice cooker. An even cheaper one would be fine.

"It says 3.3 cups but I won't need more than 1-2 cups at a time. Coould I cook only 1 cup in it?"

Yes. I have often cooked 1 or 2 cups of rice in a larger cooker. No problem. A 3 cup rice cooker is a handy size, unless you are Asian and have a large appetite for rice as some of my friends do.

Jim

• fotostat
    15 years ago

Excellent, thank you.

• jcrowley99
    15 years ago

I've had a basic Panasonic rice cooker for years(since I can't cook it on the stove without burning it). It works fine for white rice, but brown rice tends to stick to the bottom of the pot, and the bottom inch of rice is clumpy. I just got a microwave rice cooker from Amazon (I was afriad to try just a bowl since it might boil over) for $10. It cooked the brown rice perfectly! It takes 20 minutes to cook, I spent most of the time peeking through the window to make sure it was not going to explode in the microwave. And an added benefit. After you remove the steamer from the microwave, run a rag over the inside of the microwave and you have a shiney clean oven too!

Joanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Microwave rice cooker

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

IMO when the subject line is "Should I get a rice cooker?" and the OP expresses frustration with making rice, I don't see why an answer of "no" along with suggestions on how to make it foolproof are any less appropriate or relevant than answers of "yes" along with suggestions of which to buy or what all can be done with them.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great discussion! FOAS, I don't think "NO" with helpful instructions is inappropriate, nor do I think the other posters are suggesting that either. I'm sure a lot of people have learned a lot from the suggestions on this thread. I can't wait to try some of the new rice cooking techniques outlined here.

I am on the fence. I do not need another appliance, but I think I might enjoy one. Since money is tight right now I will probably wait a little longer. Pkguy, how has that pressure cooker worked for you? Do you like it and what other kinds of things is it good at? I have long seen pressure cookers recommended for people who want to save time and fuel cooking whole foods.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

FOAS, I totally understand. I can only answer for myself. When someone posts a question, I read carefully what poster is looking for. For lpink, in general, its a timing thing, not a methods issue. A simple timer around her neck or in her pocket would solve most of her problem and she acknowledges that. But she also wants to have one less thing to think about when she is entertaining and she is prone to distraction. She also mentions having sub-par stoves with cooktops that require one's vigilance, and wanting something 'easy to clean' - rice cooker inserts are non-stick. Her current lifestyle doesn't have room for vigilance. Thats what I'm getting from her postings and thats how I answer her.

So I guess my answer to your question of 'why an answer of "no" along with suggestions on how to make it foolproof are any less appropriate or relevant' is - depends, in general, on the poster. What is obvious and easy to you and me is a hurdle for others. It doesn't mean one shouldn't post the 'it's so easy, why don't you do XYZ' because others benefit from the info. I just read what the POSTER wants and go from there.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I have been cooking rice all of my adult life and have NO problems with white rice whatever, BUT brown rice is a horse of a different color! :)

Like LP, I get it right sometimes and others not. I'll time it so that it should be ready with the rest of the meal and take the lid off to find it half done. Other times, it will be dried on the bottom. Very frustrating to time a dinner for 7pm and then realize that I need another unexpected 20 min for the rice.

I've theorized that this is because of the differing amounts of rice that I might cook, the dryness of the rice etc.

Then like a godsend, I found this recipe and have NEVER failed again! Perfect brown rice every time.

Brown Rice in the Oven
    1 1/2 cups brown rice
    2 1/2 cups water (or stock or broth)
    1 T butter (or olive oil)
    1 tsp salt
    Preheat oven to 375 and begin to heat water on stovetop or microwave.

In an ovenproof dish (I use an 8x8 pyrex... or 13x9 if I double the recipe for a crowd) put the brown rice, the salt and the butter cut into a few chunks.

Pour boiling water over the rice in the pan and cover immediately with heavy duty (or a double layer of regular) foil.

Bake for 1 hour.

Grace

• eandhl
    15 years ago

We eat a fair amount of brown rice, various companies. One thing I did find is a difference in the pot. Lots of times I only make 1/2 cup br rice to 1 cup of water. It comes out perfect in my small 2 qt All Clad pan, directions are 40 mins. If I use a 2 qt Cuisinart pan with copper disc I have to watch it carefully for the last 10 mins. Same range, same burner, same rice package.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Can a rice cooker be a multipurpose tool?

• pkguy
    15 years ago

I love my electronic pc. I use it mainly for rice and making stew. I highly recommend them.

I was just downtown doing some business and stopped in Liquidation World and they had the T-Fal delirice machine I got my mom for on $34 about $27 USD.. I paid $49 for it a few weeks ago at another store...the model has been discontinued but when they were selling in stores they were well over $100.
    Also had the tangerine colored KitchenAid ProLine 2 slice toaster for a measly $40 Cdn.. tha'ts about $32 USD I'm really thinking about going back and getting one..LOL

• fotostat
    15 years ago

OK guys, so I bought a $14 rice cooker from Target like recommended.

The instructions say to let it cook it's ful cycle, then let it sit with the lid on during the Warm stage for 10-15 minutes.

I did that and the rice came out good, but I think it might have been a little bit overdone. Could that be because I let it sit during the Warm stage for too long? Should I take the top off and let the steam out to stop it from cooking?

I can't complain because it's much better than I ever made myself, but I still think it's a little overdone. If I left it in the Warm stage for hours as people said you are able to do with a rice cooker, I think it would be ruined.

Any advice?

Thanks!

• fotostat
    15 years ago

Jeeze, I really am a thread killer!

• jimster
    15 years ago

I hate it when I kill a thread, don't you? :)

It's good to hear it's the best rice you've made. In what way would you like to improve it? I'm not sure what you mean by "overdone". Too soft? Sticky?

Did you fluff it up with a fork before serving?

Jim

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I can't help you fotostat, I'm still eating that burnt rice from two weekends ago! (Some went in the freezer). At the rate I move on things with all the other stuff going on in my life it will be months before I get a rice cooker, if I even do. Maybe you should start a new thread.

I am still trying to figure out what to do about digital TV. I lost my only PBS station this week, so that's the end of my TV viewing. I will miss the Saturday cooking shows!

• pkguy
    15 years ago

Here's the T-fal rice cooker I got mom. Anyone in Canada,, I saw them at Liquidation world for $32 Cdn along with the Tangerine colored KitchenAid PRO 2 slice toaster for $40. Haste ye and go get em. LOL
    {{gwi:1474874}}

• pkguy
    15 years ago

finished product
    {{gwi:1474875}}

• JoanM
    15 years ago

This thread made me use my rice cooker last night. I have only tried it a few times. The bottom layer of rice always gets brown. I don't mind it but it doesn't look that great when you might be serving it to people that don't like their food well done. LOL

The one I have is an Aroma brand. I wonder if some of them run hot like the new slow cookers?

• beanthere_dunthat
    15 years ago

Fotostat - I had one of the cheaper ones before I bought a higher end one. They do an ok job, but, yes, they sometimes do cook a little hot and overcook things. I did not use the keep warm feature on those for that reason.

It's not "inappropriate" to offer suggestions at all. It can, sometimes, be a little annoying if phrased certain ways. Anything you do well and often probably is easy to you where it might not be as easy to someone else.

I admit I have a real kneejerk reaction to "it's so EASY, all you do it..." because it take me back to being in 7th grade math -- the class where the teacher literally said in front of everyone "obviously, you're too STUPID to understand this EASY concept." (Granted, my issue and not anyone else's, but to this day the phrase "it's so EASY" tweaks me.)

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

Joanne, some people prize that overly browned layer of rice and consider it to be the best part; in fact, they expect the browned layer to lend some of its toasty flavor the rest of the rice.

Not me, though. I prefer fluffy white rice.

• fotostat
    15 years ago

Ok, so I tried it again.

I ran the rice cooker the way the instructions said. When the cook stage was over I opened it up to stir the rice, the bottom layer or rice was like a thin skin, the rice was stuck together and there was almost this membrane between them on the very bottom layer. I stirred it all together and put it on the plate.

The rice was a little bit firm (not hard) but it was in big clumps.

What am I doing wrong? Should I have left it in the cooker longer? The instrutcions say to let it sit during the warm stage for 10 minutes before opening the lid, but I don't want to burn it.

Advice?

• fotostat
    15 years ago

I killed the thread again!

• jimster
    15 years ago

Oh, no! Not again!

Let the rice sit a while on keep warm. You can let it sit for a long time. It won't burn. Then fluff it up with a fork. It may take quite a lot of fluffing up to get it all separated.

If you want the rice softer, use a little more water. The amount of water determines the cooking time. When the water is gone, the cooker switches over to the keep warm state.

Please try not to kill this thread again. ;)

Jim

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Just to throw something else into the mix, the quality of the rice makes a difference as well, no matter if it is cooked in a rice cooker or in a pot.

Rice is one of those food items that really suffers from thrifty impulse. The cheap, "store brand" rices are often old and dry. They require more water to cook, and the grains sort of fall apart a bit when they cook, so the texture is off. Any rice bought in a cardboard box tastes of it and is also likely dried out.

Spending a bit more for good quality rices makes a big difference.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

I have burned a lot of rice. This week I finally figured out how to do it and it comes out perfect. THE TIMER!! So, instead of cooking for the full 40 minutes or 20 for white, I set my timer for 3-5 minutes less, walk over don't peek, shut off the burner, and this seems to work. It stays in there and steams. Very nice rice.
    Suzi

• october17
    15 years ago

We use a microwave rice cooker that BF's father (full-blood-cajun-I-can't-understand-a-word-he-says-so-I-just-smile-and-nod-and-have-been-caught-doing-it) sent us. It works perfect for white rice every time. His parents make seafood gumbo, jambalya, and catfish courtboullion that make you scream!

Anyway, it's a multiuse gadget too. You can serve in it, store in it in the fridge, reheat in it, etc. When we reheat, we sometimes add stuff like gravy, meat, corn, seasonings, or whatever. I'm going to try to make rice pudding with leftovers in it someday soon.

I found another brand new Pampered Chef micro rice cooker at the thrift for 2 bucks! Now we're set, the thing looks like it will last for three generations!

BF is teaching me to stay in the kitchen when I cook. I too, have a difficult time with things like garlic bread, toasting nuts, etc. I've begun using the timer for even one minute at a time!! It's easy to get distracted, isn't it?

What did you end up doing about your rice situation?

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have timers all over my house! I still end up getting distracted sometimes and burning something. So far I have been using my timer more and setting it a little ahead of the time that the rice needs to come out. It's still touch and go. I am going to shop for maybe a rice cooker or microwave rice cooker someday but these days I am so busy that I hardly have time to grocery shop, let alone shop for a discretionary item. Alas.

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

I don't have a special miscrowave rice cooker. I use a china souffle dish wrapped well with clingfilm, or if it's in use, a glass bowl.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

Sorry I'm so late with a response. I just noticed the topic.

I regularly cook brown rice on the stovetop, and have never burned it. I put put 2-1/4 cups of cold water and 1 cup of Texmati brown rice in a heavy saucepan* with a tight fitting lid. (I also put in a little bit of salted butter but that doesn't affect the method.) I bring it to a boil uncovered, stir it once, put a piece of aluminum foil on top of the pan and cover that with the lid which I press down firmly. I move the pan to a low simmer burner and set the timer for 45 minutes. When the timer goes off I shut off the burner but don't touch the pan for another 10 minutes. After the 10 minute rest it's ready to serve.

--Doug

* I use a 1.9 qt Mauviel copper saucepan.
    ** FWIW I use setting #2 on the simmer burner of Frigidaire gas range. If I can see steam escaping from under the lid of the pan the heat is too high.

• datura-07
    15 years ago

Dixiedog, I also use my steamer for rice. I'm on my second one and it's starting to get bad. We have hard water so that really take a toll on the heating element.