SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Terry Pacnw, my husband loved the dry rub & BBQ sauce!

shambo
14 years ago

About a week ago I thawed out a pork shoulder roast I had in the freezer. My thoughts were carnitas or some sort of pulled pork. Usually I just throw it in my slow cooker, but this time I decided to give your "Smokey Barbecue Dry Rub" and Quick Maple Barbecue Sauce" a try. I thought I remembered you mentioning in a Recipe Exchange thread that you sometimes roasted pork in a slow oven, so that's what I did. I started the roast at 350 for about 45 minutes, then lowered the heat to 275 for another 4-5 hours. I lost track of the time. Later in the evening, after the roast had cooled a bit, I shredded the meat and got rid of the fat and other undesirables.

The next day I made the sauce and served my husband a sandwich. I did not mix the sauce with the meat but instead thickly spread it on the buns. He said it was the best pork I'd made and absolutely loved the sauce. Later in the week we had a friend over for lunch and I served the same kind of sandwich. He raved about it too. The pork disappeared quickly and I still had some sauce leftover. So far, my husband has had it on steak, turkey sandwiches, and as a dip for oven baked fries.

Honestly, I didn't expect him to be so crazy about the sauce. But I'm very happy that he likes it so much. Because he's on a low sodium diet, I used Heinz No-Salt-Added Ketchup and I did not add any salt (I did not use salt in the rub either). Yet, even without the salt, it's a very tasty sauce. I'm especially glad to have "discovered" this recipe because it's so tasty and yet virtually salt free. So now I've got something else to add to my arsenal of low sodium condiments, things that make following a low sodium diet bearable.

Thanks!

Sue

Quick Maple Barbecue Sauce

Terry Pacnw from CF

1/2 c cider vinegar

1 c ketchup

1/4 c brown sugar

2 T dry mustard

1/4 c maple syrup

2 T Worcestershire

2 t smoked paprika

1/2 t cayenne

1/2 t fresh ground pepper

1 t kosher salt

Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes until thickened.

Yields approx: 2 1/2 cups

Smokey Barbecue Dry Rub

Terry Pacnw from CF

2 t smoked paprika

2 t kosher salt

1 T sugar

1/2 t freshly ground pepper

1/2 t cumin

1 t garlic powder

1/2 t chili powder

1/2 t cayenne pepper

Blend together. Makes 3 Tablespoons