SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Quick barbecue sauce with ketchup

lpinkmountain
12 years ago

I only rarely use ketchup, but now I'm buying organic, non HFCS stuff and I want to increase my use of it so it doesn't go bad in the fridge. Seriously, I go thru one bottle about every 3 years! Also, I'm trying to make more chicken meals for BF. So I'm wondering if anyone has a good, easy, quick recipe for barbecue sauce using ketchup. I found some online but they are rather long on ingredients and make a ton. I just want something I can whip up quick for dinner without a lot of leftovers. Maybe later this summer when tomatoes come on I'll make my own long simmered stuff and can it, but for now, just something quick and dirty, but T&T.

Thanks!

Comments (38)

• lindac
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Quick and dirty? yep!! LOL!!
    Not much in the way oif measurements....but.
    Chop about a T. of onion in a sauce pan with a tiny tad bit of oil, turn on to soften the onion then add about 1/2 cup catsup, 2 T or so of cider vinegar and about 3 tablespoons of brown sugar....2 tsps worchestershire sauce.....and about 1/2 tsp chili powder.....the kind with the cumin in it....
    A couple of drops of liquid smoke if you like the flavor...I don't! and some tobasco if you like it hot....I don't!
    Linda C

• User
    12 years ago

I make it all the time, basically it's ketchup, Worcestershire, brown sugar and cider vinegar in ratios that please you and doctored up any way you like.

Mine is close to Linda's. For about a cup of Ketchup, I use 4 or 5 good splashes of Worcestershire sauce, 2-3 TBSP brown sugar, about 1/4 cup cider vinegar, spoonful of Dijon. I don't add any aromatics but you could use garlic or onion or hot sauce if you like. I've even thrown in some leftover salad dressing.

It's all good!

• Related Discussions

Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce

Q

Comments (5)
    Skybird, what I thought when looking at that one was that I'd never have thought to put Dr Pepper in a sauce. But, Steve Raichlen has a recipe for a different sauce using Coke! Actually, it looks quite good! If you read the comments on Allrecipe, you will see that other cooks have used different soft drinks. A can of soda pop makes a difference and the combination with Worcestershire sauce and quick cooking makes for an easy to prepare homemade rhu-b-que sauce! And, I have even used it as a dipping sauce for veggies. Steve
    ...See More

Smokey BBQ sauce, Bourbon Butter and Rub

Q

Comments (3)
    I've saved both recipes. I figure I can leave out the salt in both the rub and the sauce and then use Heinz No Salt Added Ketchup in the sauce. Thanks! I was looking for a homemade barbecue sauce to use. This looks like it packs enough flavor that the salt won't really be missed. Sue
    ...See More

blackberry bbq sauce recipe for foas

Q

Comments (1)
    I like the sound of that and will be trying it - thanks a lot! I'm glad you took notes as you winged it. I'll let you know how it works for me. Thanks again!
    ...See More

LOOKING for: barbeque sauce recipe

Q

Comments (5)
    This is a recipe I found in BH&G a long time ago, and everyone seems to like it: A Man's Barbecue Sauce 2 1/4 cups catsup 2 1/4 cups water 2 teaspoons instant beef broth 1 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard 1 Tablespoon chili powder 1 teaspoon black pepper 1/4 teaspoon cayanne powder 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons Worchershire Sauce 2 dashes hot pepper sauce 3 Tablespoons brown sugar 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice In large saucepan, bring all ingrediants to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. If not using immediately, cool and transfer to covered container and refrigerate. Makes about 1 quart.
    ...See More
  • grainlady_ks
    12 years ago

This is a recipe I use to make Slow-cooker Barbecued Beef but it will work for a ketchup-based barbeque sauce. I make this recipe using tomato powder and water, instead of ketchup, and will add a little more sweetener and some vinegar to the mixture. It's one of those "to taste" recipes. I doubt I've ever measured the ingredients since making it the first time.

I LOVE tomato powder for making my own ketchup and bbq sauce, as well as making tomato sauce, tomato paste, pizza sauce, tomato juice, etc. Skip the HFCS. And another plus, tomato powder has an indefinite shelf-life (I keep it in the dry environment of the refrigerator).

1 c. ketchup
    1/4 c. chopped onion
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 T. sweetener of choice (brown sugar, molasses, etc.)
    2 T. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 t. dry mustard
    salt and pepper to taste
    Saute onion and garlic, add remaining ingredients and heat through.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: The Spice House - tomato powder

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm, worcestershire sauce seems to be the magic ingredient that separates barbecue sauce from the others. Only non-red-meat-eater me doesn't have that on hand either. I wonder if a mix of lite soy sauce and anchovy paste would work??

Tomato powder, now that takes me back . . . to my backpacking days. A great product, very fresh tasting. I should get some, because I am also a terribly slow tomato paste user-upper. Also not stored in metal cans so none of that bpwhatever leaching.

• diinohio
    12 years ago

Soy sauce will work just fine!

Di

• lindac
    12 years ago

I dis agree.....soy sauce will make it salty...
    I use worchestershire more in non meat stuff than in meat dishes.....you need to buy some....works in many salad dressings sauces, dips and bean dishes.
    Linda C

• User
    12 years ago

I think soy sauce and anchovies will make a BBQ sauce but it will be very different than with Worcestershire.

Like Linda I rarely use Worcestershire for meat. I use it almost exclusively in sauces and salad dressings, especially Ceasar Salad and dips...oh and of course Bloody Mary's!

Nancy turned me on to a product in the States, Pickapeppa Sauce, it's very close to Worcestershire and would work in a BBQ sauce.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So in order to use up my ketchup condiment faster, I need to buy yet another condiment to sit on the condiment compartment on the door of my fridge? Most of them have been there for 2+ years too! LOL! How about regular yellow mustard (an orphan from a long forgotten barbecue), hot corriander chutney or black bean sauce, those are moving at a snail's pace too! :)
    Just kvetching, return to the regularly scheduled posting.

• User
    12 years ago

That hot coriander chutney might make a great BBQ sauce with the ketchup!

As for the yellow mustard...only thought is have another BBQ ! LOL

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

I've been using this for years!

Equal amounts of:

Coca-Cola (or similar cola)
    and ketchup

Mix and use!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Glenda, you beat me to it. The girls love chicken cooked in a mixture of half catsup and half Coke. I've used root beer in a pinch too.

We usually put sliced potatoes in the bottom of the pan, add some baby carrots then the chicken, pour the sauce over everything, cover and bake at 350 for an hour or hour and a half, until the chicken is done and the vegetables are tender.

I also think that worchestershire sauce is much different than soy, but if you want an Asian flavored BBQ sauce, you could probably use soy and some other things. I always have worchestershire because I use it to make Chex Mix.

I make a BBQ sauce with a cup each of catsup, brown sugar, Jack Daniels and cider vinegar. Add half a cup of chopped onion, and a couple of tablespoons each of Tabasco and worchestershire. Simmer for half an hour or so.

Now, I don't care much for this because I don't like Jack Daniels, but other people love it and you could adjust the booze to your taste or use another kind. Of course, you still need worchestershire.

I also have a really sweet BBQ sauce that takes a cup of catsup and a small can of crushed pineapple, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic, equal amounts of soy sauce and jack daniels, brown sugar to taste.

Annie

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Pinky:

I don't think I have ever steered you wrong.
    Give this a try and you will be in love again.

1 cup of ketchup
    half teasopoon of mustard
    half teaspoon of Garlic and Onion powder
    half teaspoon of Old Bay
    one teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce
    one tablespoon of Brown Sugar
    2 tablespoons of Strawberry Jam
    1 tablespoon of Grape jelly

Dump everything in a bowl and mix with a fork.

This makes a sweet and sour, finger licking sauce.

Worcestershire and Soy Sauce are both good to add, if it is to your own taste.

Add more or less of what you like.

LOU

• diinohio
    12 years ago

You are right Lindac, I just looked at the recipe in my very old Betty Crocker cookbook...it calls for worcestershire sauce, not soy sauce.

Guess you should go buy a bottle Lpink!

Di

• metaxa
    12 years ago

Anyone want to know how to spend about an hour and a half making bbq sauce? with two pages of ingredients?

LOL. (Its worth it tho and keeps a good long time)

Anyway, into all the above quickie recipes you all need to add a pinch of thyme. Some salt and sugar mixed with lime juice. And some fresh cracked black pepper.

(to me it is important to mix the salt and sugar into the lime juice, let that sit and then add it to the sauce)

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, so now in order to use up the ketchup from the condiment shelf, I need to buy worcestershire sauce, grape jelly, old bay seasoning, Jack Daniels . . .
    Maybe I should just buy some barbecue sauce, lol! I might be able to find a brand without HFCS. I cannot abide by that stuff.

• Lars
    12 years ago

If you do not have Worchestershire sauce, you can add some tamarind paste instead - that is the ingredient in WS that gives it a distinctive flavor. I always have tamarind paste/sauce on hand for making Thai or Indonesian dishes. But then I prefer Thai curry paste to BBQ sauce. Don't buy BBQ sauce - most of it is sickeningly sweet and the list of ingredients in them is very off-putting for me. But then ketchup is too sweet for me also.

Lars

• shambo
    12 years ago

I use Terry's barbecue sauce all the time. I make it with salt free ketchup and do not add any salt. The smoked paprika is a nice addition, but last time I made it, I substituted chili powder instead. You could always add a bit of liquid smoke if you wanted that particular flavor. It makes about 2-1/2 cups but keeps for a long while in the fridge. For my lower sodium cooking, it's great to have on hand. Makes a good condiment for any kind of grilled, broiled, or roasted meats. It's good for basting baked chicken and even a good dip for baked french fries.

Quick Maple Barbecue Sauce
    Terry Pacnw from CF

1/2 c cider vinegar
    1 c ketchup
    1/4 c brown sugar
    2 T dry mustard
    1/4 c maple syrup
    2 T Worcestershire
    2 t smoked paprika
    1/2 t cayenne
    1/2 t fresh ground pepper
    1 t kosher salt
    Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes until thickened.
    Yields approx: 2 1/2 cups

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oddly enough, I do have tamarind powder, for Indian cooking!

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Why not just make teriyaki chicken instead of BBQ?
    Soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar. Done.

Is there a reason you want to make it BBQ flavor specifically? Use the ketchup in baked beans or something else if it just "needs using" (like some of the condiments in MY fridge!!). Or freeze it in small pats on a cookie sheet so you can take out small amounts as needed and it won't go bad.

Deanna (way outside the box tonight..........LOL)

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Pinky:
    Just drink some Jack Daniels and throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl.

If you have enough of the JD, everything will taste great.
    LOU

• User
    12 years ago

I'm not a fan of ketchup either and a bottle in this house would last 10 years and would still be full.

The only BBQ sauce that I like is TBQ sauce. Made by a restaurant in Windsor, Ontario. The Tunnel Barbecue. It is a more savory sauce rather than sweet.

I usually have this sauce on hand, but in a pinch this copy cat recipe is a good substitute.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

TBQ Sauce
    =========
    1/2 cup Ketcup
    1/2 cup prepared mustard
    1/2 cup vinegar white
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1-1/2 teaspoons chile powder
    1/4 cup white sugar.

Place all ingredients in a blender and mix. Store unrefrigerated.
    Seems to last forever.

Please note:

This is the directions that I was given. Being a coward, I stored mine
    in the refrigerator.

Also: I found that the chili powder flavour was overpowering so would
    either leave it out next time or use only 1/2 teaspoon.

And I used less sugar than was called for, because I really do prefer
    a more savory then sweet sauce..

• cynic
    12 years ago

There's no quicker sauce than the ketchup/cola. I usually use Dr. Pepper if I can. Some like root beer. Makes a pretty good gravy for pork chops too. The only problem is that it's pretty thin, so it's not really like a good thick BBQ sauce.

Almost as easy:

Cook's Country Baby Back Ribs BBQ sauce- no cook
    1 1/4 cups ketchup
    1/4 cup molasses
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke

Here's some others, not quite as quick:
    Frugal Gourmet's Low Salt/Low fat BBQ Sauce
    12 oz can no/low salt tomato paste
    1/2 c white wine
    1 T dry mustard (Colman's recommended)
    2 T red wine vinegar
    1 T Worcestershire sauce
    Dash of Tabasco
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 T Chili pwdr
    2 T minced fresh onion
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    2 t Liquid Smoke (Wright's recommended)
    Simmer 10-15 min

BBQ Pit boys BBQ sauce
    2 Qts Ketchup
    2 C Apple cider vinegar
    1/2 C sugar
    1/8 c salt
    2 T garlic powder
    Celery seed 1-2 tsp
    1T Cumin
    1-2 T Chili powder
    2-4 T Cayenne
    1 C water
    Stir with a whisk while adding ingredients. Simmer on the grill (or a stove) a few minutes. Keep extra in jars in the frig. Adjust quantities as you like

BBQ Talk.ca BBQ sauce
    2 C Ketchup
    1/2 C white vinegar (or cider)
    1/2 C of a premium brand molasses
    1t seasoning salt (lawry's or make your own. can use just salt)
    1/2 t allspice
    1t Chili powder
    1 t Paprika
    1/2 t LHS
    1/2 c brown sugar
    1/2 t Mace (optional)
    1 t ground cumin
    1/4 t ground white pepper
    Blend it together & cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and is consistency you like. Low simmer to medium heat. About 30 min.

BBQ Pit Boys Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe Moppin & Dipping Sauce
    1/2 C Ketchup
    1- 1.5 C apple juice
    1/4 - 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
    1/4 c Brown Sugar (He said 1/8th cup and didn't use much)
    4 T Worcestershire Sauce
    1 tsp garlic powder
    Hot sauce to taste
    Choped onion
    Mix & simmer about 15 min and serve or place next to your low & slow BBQ for moppin.

BBQ Sauce
    1.5 C apple cider vinegar
    1/2 c ketchup
    1/3 c brown sugar ("organic"?)
    1 T LHS
    1 T Mustard
    1/2 t salt
    1/4 t garlic pwdr
    1/4 t pepper
    give it a quick whisk in the pan until combined, medium heat, simmer 5 minutes.

Quick Maple Barbecue Sauce
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons dry mustard
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

INSTRUCTIONS: Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened. Yields approximately 2 1/2 cups sauce

Classic Barbecue Sauce Recipe
    Ingredients
    * 1/4 lb. butter
    * 1 cup soy sauce
    * 1/8 cup table wine (lemon juice may be substituted)
    * 1/4 cup water
    * 1/2 cup Coke or Pepsi (not diet)
    * 1 tsp. celery seed
    * 5 dashes Tabasco sauce
    * 3 tsp. garlic, minced
    * 1 tsp. paprika
    * 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce

Directions
    1. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium low heat. Stir until well mixed. Remove from heat and use immediately or store in refrigerator.
    Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Orange Barbecue Sauce
    2 cups ketchup 2 cloves garlic; minced
    2 Tbs. tomato paste 1 cup orange marmalade
    2 Tbs. worcestershire sauce 2 Tbs. dijon mustard
    1 medium onion; minced

Add all ingredients to a well oiled 10" Dutch oven. Stir to mix. Heat using 14-16 briquettes bottom until sauce boils. Reduce briquettes on bottom to 10 and let simmer for 30 minutes.

Yield: About 3 1/2 cups

BTW, the BBQ Pit Boys have a lot of easy BBQ sauce recipes at their site. They're similar but have little variations for different recipes.

BBQ Sauce
    2 cups ketchup
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    5 tablespoons light brown sugar
    5 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 tablespoon onion powder
    1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Yield: 3 1/2 cups

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

For bottled, Bulls Eye is the staple in my fridge. No HFCS.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are we ready for barbecue season here at CF or what! Oh yeah!

• User
    12 years ago

Rain, Shine or Snow, I consider BBQ season 12 months of the year.

Ann

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How about 10 degrees F?

• shambo
    12 years ago

Ann, no need to cook the copycat version? If that's the case, then I can hardly wait to try it. I'd use salt-free ketchup and no added salt, but all the other flavors would more than make up for the missing salt. I'm going to make a batch tomorrow.

• KatieC
    12 years ago

Yes, it's time to drag out the bbq (if it would would ever stop raining). Gotta try the coke and ketchup thing...I made a cherry coke ham once that was actually pretty good.

I often use ketchup as a base for bbq sauces, but have no recipes...ketchup, dry or prepared mustard, brown sugar or molasses, onion, garlic worcestershire, spices, maybe a little liquid smoke...all totally arbitrary and and it's usually good.

This sauce is from Dorothy Dean's Homemaker Service, a 1963 newspaper food column. We marinate pork tenderloins in this sauce for bbq pork...grilled or baked, cooled, sliced and dipped in hot mustard and sesame seeds...mmm...

2 c ketchup
    1/2 c sugar
    3 tbsp soy sauce
    1 lg clove garlic -- minced

• User
    12 years ago

Shambo, No need to cook. But make sure you refrigerate.

LPink, 10°F is only -12°C. When I lived in the Sault 10°F would be considered down right balmy. I never let the weather interfere with what I want to cook.

Ann

• lakeguy35
    12 years ago

Mom made the ketchup,worchester, brown sugar sauce all the time back in the sixties and seventies. Love it and still do. Same goes for the coke/dr. pepper combo.

My favorite bottle sauce is Head Country now and I've tried many over the years. Bone suckin', Bulls Eye, and many otheres. Hey, it is a matter of taste after all.

Ann, I haven't had that TBQ in several years now. I think it was you and or Lorijean that posted that recipe. I've never made the recipe but would love a link to were I could order some more again. (lost it) My group loved it....very different but good all the same. Ina Garten has a good one too that I've made and used. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it. It is a combo of everthing if you know what I mean or watch Ina. : ) Not to forget Sue's Roadhouse ribs recipe and her oven method for ribs...another winner in my books. Then there is the Dinsaur BBQ Sauce bottles and recipes from a swap years ago. I LOVE BBQ!! All of them from KC to Memphis/Texas and yes, Oklahoma!

Like Ann, my grill and smokers get used year round reguardless of the temps or snow. They were my go too way of cooking going through two ice storms and our first ever blizzard here in OK. No gas stove/range in the current house or the former cabin on the lake.

David

• User
    12 years ago

Here you go David.

Tunnel Bar-B-Q

• User
    12 years ago

When I called a few years ago they told me they would no longer be selling the sauce from the TBQ.

They were going commercial with it and would be marketing it in grocery stores under a different name. They sent me a flyer with the details and the name. I looked for it for the longest time and then gave up.

David I would be very interested if you have success ordering it.

• User
    12 years ago

Hey look what I found.

I must have been one of those customers that got scammed. Now I recall I got the flyer first and then called the number on the flyer. I didn't call the restaurant.

Maybe they are still selling it at the TBQ after all.

Here is a link that might be useful: TBQ Sauce Lawsuit

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Ya'll need to try white bbq sauce sometime.

It's vinegar and mayo based.

I make it all the time cause us people from Alabama really enjoy it!

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Glenda - Just this morning I was just checking out a recipe and thought it intesting that they called this bbq sauce. Lemon instead of vinegar, but same idea:

White Rosemary Barbecue Sauce:
    2/3 cup mayonnaise
    Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
    1 large garlic clove, crushed through a press

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grilled-Chicken-Breast-with-White-Rosemary-Barbecue-Sauce-243068#ixzz1MAiatZBx

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Here's the white bbq sauce recipe I use. I always 1/2 the recipe cause it make a lot.

And I like the sauce served on the side.

White BBQ sauce

This traditional Alabama Barbecue Sauce uses Mayonnaise as its base rather than tomato sauce, vinegar, or any of the other traditional barbecue sauce bases. Like many barbecue sauces you want to apply this only at the very end of your grilling or smoking. It will breakdown and separate if it is heated too long. Use this sauce on chicken and turkey. It is also good on pork. Alabama White Barbecue Sauce has a tangy flavor that is a great addition to grilled foods.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: Makes about 3 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
    �2 cups mayonnaise
    �1 cup apple cider vinegar
    �2 tablespoon lemon juice
    �3 tablespoons black pepper
    �1 teaspoon salt
    �1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using. Brush lightly over chicken, turkey or pork during the last few minutes of grilling. This barbecue sauce is also great as a dipping sauce so set some aside before you start grilling to serve on the table

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Seeing if I can eliminate those bothersome signs

Ingredients for white bbq sauce

2 cups mayonnaise
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 tablespoons black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne

• lakeguy35
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link Ann! The link to the "store" on their web site is messed up. It loads up, when you try to register or click on a product (which only shows text no pic) it takes me to some kind of google/dell web search page. Mmmmm, guess I'll try and call in the next day or two. Never made an out of country call so I'll have to figure that one out too...LOL

Sharon, sorry to read that article. That poor guy looks totally stressed out in that pic compared to his on the website. So sad to read about the family turning on each other. I'll be sure and report back after I get in touch with them.

Glenda, thanks for the recipe!! I think I tried that years ago when you shared it but I can't remember??? Guess it's time to just do it!! : ) Maybe next weekend as I have family coming in from out of town.

David