SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

BBQ chicken for a crowd

elba1
4 years ago

Hi folks, my youngest just graduated from college, and we're planning a family party to celebrate. If everyone comes that we're expecting it will be about 31 people. My son is allergic to nuts and seafood, and my nephew has celiac. Those are the most critical dietary restrictions. My daughter was thinking cookout; I was thinking something other than hamburgers & hot dogs. The family came up with BBQ chicken as an option. (I tried the pulled chicken recipe I got from the forum here once, and although it would be fairly easy for a crowd, I didn't love it - maybe a little too sweet or something, I'm not sure. And I've done pulled pork already for them, maybe more than once.) I've never done BBQ chicken for a crowd - looking for suggestions - some recipes say to bake it in the oven the day before then grill it with the BBQ sauce right before serving. Others suggest the reverse, which seems easier at first glance, but I think might not taste as good (grill it the day before with the BBQ sauce, then heat it in the oven before serving). I do have an 18 quart Nesco roaster, and a smaller one, if that helps. I was thinking thighs would stay moister and cook more evenly - estimating 2 per person? All the "kids" are now adults, except for a 2 year old and a 12 year old. For the sauce, I've tried various from scratch recipes in the past, and I always have a bottle of BBQ sauce from TJ's on hand, but don't have a favorite "go to" recipe. Want it to be fairly easy since I'll also be making the apps & sides. If grilling at the last minute, my husband and son would take that role on. Any suggestions on the best way to make BBQ chicken for a crowd would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments (47)

• elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sounds good - thanks for the suggestions!

• Related Discussions

Stainless steel chicken barbequer

Q

Comments (0)
    Looking to build a stainless steel bbq chicken cooker. One you would slide the chicken on a rod and it would rotisserie the chicken, dip it in the sauce and cook it all in one easy step. Anyone have any ideas where I could get plans for such a project? I would like it to cook about 100 chicken halves.
    ...See More

Please help. ? re: crock pot bbq chicken breast.

Q

Comments (17)
    I don't like the taste of dark meat poultry, so I usually substitute breasts for dark meat in chicken recipes. But the last time that I tried boneless skinless breasts in the crockpot they ended up being overcooked; there was a lot of liquid in the curry recipe, so they weren't technically 'dry,' but the texture was not tender and it was quite disappointing. The crockpot that I used tends to run 'hot' so they overcooked really fast (about 2 hours on high). In contrast, I've used that crockpot to make the exact same curry recipe with bone-in chicken breasts, pre-browned on the stove, and those breasts were very tender although I cooked them longer than 2 hours. So if you are using boneless/skinless breasts I'd recommend that you keep a close eye on them to make sure you take them out before they're overcooked.
    ...See More

Make-ahead chicken for a crowd?

Q

Comments (13)
    Does it need to be refrigerated or can I make it the same day and let it cool to room temp (obviously would have to be eaten or reheated within 2 hours of coming out of the roaster)? I really don't have room to put the pan in my fridge - not sure how big the fridge is at the club. I can buy prunes and probably olives when I get the chicken at BJs but I don't know about capers. How do you think it would be with Kalamata olives instead of green olives/capers? I have a jar and a half (opened Easter) of K. olives. Oh, and Merlot instead of white wine? I've got an opened bottle of Casillero del Diablo (one of my favorites, but it's going to a good cause!) in the fridge and don't really have room for another bottle of wine (the kids *insist* on milk and OJ!) if I open a white. I'm using my really big ziploc bags for ice now (been making ice for days), but can fit quite a few thighs in a gallon bag, and can stack those in a 9x13 pan in my fridge for marinating (or use a Foodsaver so I know it won't leak). Looks like if I double the marinade ingredients from Silver Palate recipe it should do about 18 lbs of thighs? Thanks - getting down to the wire now (I told DH I thought I should get chicken and lemonade tomorrow, not today, just b/c I really don't have much room in fridge. Might have to stick the lemonade directly in a cooler.
    ...See More

looking for: tt bbq beef or other inexpensive crowd pleasers

Q

Comments (11)
    Here's a recipe that woodie posted a while back. BEEF BRISKET Posted by: woodie2 (My Page) on Wed, Dec 8, 04 at 17:00 My never fail brisket from Sara Moulton: 1 Beef Brisket, any size Salt & Pepper Thinly sliced onion Minced garlic Mix together: 1/2 cup ketchup 1/2 cup chili sauce 3 TBL brown sugar 1 bottle beer Lay meat in oven going baking dish. Salt & pepper it, spread garlic over top, spread onions over the garlic. Pour sauce over the meat. Cover tightly with foil and roast at 300* for 3 hours if small 1/2 brisket or 4 hours if large, whole brisket. Uncover, let meat rest, and pour gravy into a saucepan. Puree with handheld blender, or pour carefully into blender and puree. Slice meat across grain and serve with gravy. (The gravy comes out nice) If you think it needs more BBQ sauce, have a bottle of Masterpiece handy. Excellant recipe! Nancy
    ...See More
  • nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

Yes BBQ sauce just before serving or it will burn!

• plllog
    4 years ago

Um... know your crowd. I have a lot more white meat eaters than dark for all that the truism is that dark is tastier. Whole chickens are also far more cost effective, usually. The beauty of cooking the pieces the day before, just to the safe temperature (165 F, I think), so they don't over do with rewarming, is that you don't have to worry about the chicken getting fully cooked and safe to eat with the party swirling around.

I don't think which day you grill makes a big difference, which is why you see it both ways. It's about getting that smokiness and grill char that makes it taste barbecued. Marinating or brining can help especially given the rewarming. Do keep the skin on--it keeps the moisture and fat on too so the chicken won't dry out. According to what the TV doctors say, removing the skin before eating, for dieters, is just as effective as removing it before cooking.

I think rewarming in the oven is easier, but so much depends on your set up and how your party is shaped. if there will be a gaggle gathered around the grill poking at the chicken, schmoozing, and serving right from the fire, well than that's the fun of a barbecue, right? If the grill is tucked away and the grillmaster is going to be isolated from the party, that's no fun. If the service will be from a buffet with everyone getting dinner all at once, and sitting down together, rewarming in the oven, for most people, will get the most chicken hot the fastest, especially if it's a modern large oven with convection and multi-level heating. If the kitchen is far from the party, however, it might be no fun for the cook.

Choose the method that sounds like the least stress, and most ability for the food makers to be part of the action and enjoying the company. So long as the chicken is hot-ish, fully cooked and served on time, everybody will like it, so make your choices about you, not the food.

Congratulations!

elba1 thanked plllog
  • lindac92
    4 years ago

Must the chicken be on the grill? grilling chicken for 31 will be a bit of a task.
    I would....and have done for such a crowd...is cook the chicken on half sheet pans in your oven.
    What I have done in the past is dip the pieces into seasoned evaporated milk and then into crushed seasoned corn flakes....but you sake no glutin, so I would use crushed rice crispies.....or just rice flour. Season with granulated garlic, salt and pepper I use some paprika mixed with some chili powder....so it's not really hot....and add dry parsley.
    Dip into the milk, roll in the topping and lay on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Slosh on sauce of your choice and bake another 10 minutes.
    I always like to have some legs too....and figure 2 pieces per person with 10 extra pieces.
    I often make my own sauce using tomato puree and honey, onions, vinegar, red pepper powder, cumin and maybe brown sugar.....but I don't think you can go wrong with Sweet Baby Rays.

elba1 thanked lindac92
  • Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

Get hold of a sous vide set up......best way to cook anyway lol

Cook thighs and breats, then heat up as said above, with no risk of undercooked / dry meat.

elba1 thanked Islay Corbel
  • party_music50
    4 years ago

It's not the BBQ chicken you're asking about, but when I'm planning grilled chicken for a larger group I often go with marinated kabobs (from breasts or tenders) because they're easier to fit on the grill, cook faster, less mess to eat, etc. Maybe it's an option worth considering.

elba1 thanked party_music50
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone! Don't think any relatives would refuse to eat thighs, but I may be about to find out ha ha. Good suggestion to marinate first, I will do that. I guess the oven/grilling may end up being determined by the weather since any method should be ok (e.g. if either weekend day is too hot to turn on the oven/too rainy to use the grill - just better not be really hot AND really rainy!!!) The party will probably be a Sunday end of June or in July as we are pretty busy till then, unless she needs to start a long distance job before then, in which case I'll need to rush; she's interviewing now. I'm a big planner and like to have a menu in mind before I do the invites! Might go with the Kraft/Sweet Baby Ray's/OJ combo - never tried that. Writing down Linda's recipes to try soon regardless - I was in a whole roasted chicken rut all winter! I don't know anyone with a sous vide set up. I've read about it on here, but it is still a mystery to me. I will do more research, but maybe not in time for this party.

If I may ask another question: some of husband's family really likes the broccoli salad so I was thinking of making that without the nuts. Was also going to make potato salad since it's gluten free, but I don't want both salads to be "mayonaisy." Thought of a german potato salad (never make it that way) but most recipes have bacon and don't want bacon in both salads. Would you just make a typical potato salad with a vingary dressing that doesn't have mayo? Also plan on having a tossed salad, and some baked beans for a few older relatives that enjoy them (my son can't eat them, but I can still make them). Thanks!

• party_music50
    4 years ago

Because you're using BBQ sauce, I would stick with the conventional mayo-based potato salad rather than German potato salad. Is your broccoli salad like the broccoli salad with bacon, red onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds and the dressing is a sweetened mayo base? I think that's sufficiently different flavor that you could make both salads, but if you want something that's sweet/tart and non-mayo to sub for the broccoli salad, I'd recommend the kale-apple slaw with poppy seed dressing from chowhound.

elba1 thanked party_music50
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok thanks. Yes, the broccoli salad is the one you describe. I'll save the kale recipe to serve my friends sometime, but there are family members who will eat broccoli but not kale, so I'll stick with the broccoli for this party.

• chase_gw
    4 years ago

I never like to serve two mayo based salads.......although most guests probably don't care. Would you consider a vinegar based cole slaw instead of one of them ? Lindac' s recipe is a family favourite.

elba1 thanked chase_gw
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

We like mayo potato salad, mayo cole slaw, and baked beans together all summer. As well as corn on the cob, broccoli slaw, and deviled eggs.

elba1 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Louiseab
    4 years ago

Just another thought. We are doing a barbecue for about 40 people the day before our sons wedding. To simplify things,we have decided to buy a whole roasted pig from a local restaurant. It will come fully cooked and wrapped with the head on. We’ve done it before and it was excellent. I will be making some salads and a pasta casserole. Pasta fazool. The cost for the pig is $200.00.

elba1 thanked Louiseab
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Whether or not two salads served at the same function have a mayo based dressing seems to me to be fairly inconsequential.......or at the very least, a matter of personal choice. You could also dress the broccoli salad with a yogurt based dressing or a slightly sweetened vinaigrette. Like a raspberry poppyseed dressing?

elba1 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • chloebud
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

elba, you might take a look at Ina Garten's French Potato Salad for a non-mayo version.

Not sure this recipe would work for your guests, but I can easily say it's been a hit at our house with grilled or BBQ'd food. This is enough for about 6 people. You can easily sub regular green beans for the slender haricot verts.

New Potato and Green Bean Salad

Dressing:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 T. Dijon mustard
    2 T. fresh lemon juice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Dash of Worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste

Salad:
    1 1/2 pounds small red-skinnned potatoes
    3/4 pound haricots verts, stems trimmed
    1 small red onion, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    Salt and pepper to taste

For Dressing:
    Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be made 1-2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temp and whisk before using.)

For Salad:
    Steam potatoes until tender. Cool; cut into quarters. Cook green beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Transfer beans to bowl of ice water and cool. Drain. Cut beans in half. Combine beans, potatoes, onion and basil in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead; cover and let stand at room temp.) Garnish bowl with a small bunch of fresh basil before serving.

elba1 thanked chloebud
  • lindac92
    4 years ago

I have made a marinated vegetable salad many times. One that comes to mind was cauliflower and broccoli and red pepper strips and a bunch of green onions chopped....dressed with a dijon vinaigrette and allowed to sit over nigh tin the refrigerator No measurements, but for your crew I would use a large head of cauliflower cut into florettes and 1 large stem of broccoli, separated with the stem peeled and cut into buttons, 2 bunches of green onions....about 12 onions in all.....and enough dressing to coat all, with maybe more to add in the morning.
    Dressing...1 T prepared dijon mustard 1 T honey 1/4 cup rice vinegar and half a cup good fruity olive oil.
    And another...gluten free and vegan...
    These are my notes...served 75....so half for your crowd...I'll see if I wrote a better recipe for the dressing>
    Made
    a salad of garbanzo beans, canelinni beans white kidney beans, red beans and
    red kidney beans….14 cans…and 4 cucumbers and 2 sweet red onions and 2 8oz
    packages of pea pods…..dressed with an olive oil lemon juice dressing….with
    grated lemon rind lots of dill weed, some garlic ( fresh) and lots of chopped
    parsley and a bit of red pepper flakes….well received….about2 qts left after serving 70.

elba1 thanked lindac92
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks a lot for all the additional suggestions! I'm saving them all. I actually have everything to make the new potato & green bean one - think I'll do that tomorrow! Ina's looks interesting - definitely never made a potato salad with white wine and chicken stock - the reviews are very good!

• chloebud
    4 years ago

elba, Ina's is a tasty version of potato salad. I do add the white wine, but I know people who've omitted it. If you omit it, I would just add an extra tablespoon each of the stock and vinegar...no problem. I've also included purple potatoes with the white and red ones. I just kept the same amount of potatoes so the total was 2 pounds. I always boil purple potatoes separately since they can transfer their color to the others.

elba1 thanked chloebud
  • plllog
    4 years ago

I agree with much of what has been said above, so all I have to add is that if you're taking the nuts out of the broccoli salad you might want to add something else hard crunchy, even if it's just small croutons.

elba1 thanked plllog
  • Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

Mayo dressings on potatoes can feel a bit heavy. I prefer a herb based sauce. I mix dijon mustard with s&p, lemon juice, olive oil, capers, chopped gherkins and masses of fresh herbs. Lovely with grilled meat.

elba1 thanked Islay Corbel
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Had a good dinner tonight experimenting! Made Linda C's chicken and chloebud's new potato & green bean salad (I let it sit overnight). Never thought of putting a BBQ type sauce on breaded chicken! Didn't love the vinegary taste of the potato salad (as I've always made a mayonnaise version), but did love using the smaller amounts called for in the recipe - I usually make a large batch of potato salad, but this amount was perfect - I will do that more often! Will try to experiment with Ina's recipe and/or Islay's above - both good ideas & I think I would like them better. Thanks again all!

• chloebud
    4 years ago

"Didn't love the vinegary taste of the potato salad (as I've always made a mayonnaise version)..."

elba, I do understand as I know people who simply prefer a mayo-based dressing vs vinegar. for potato salad I happen to like both. When I make my "traditional" potato salad with mayo/mustard based dressing, I still splash the potatoes with white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar) while they're still hot. Just gives them a little more zip of flavor.

elba1 thanked chloebud
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I could also probably tweak it with less vinegar, a little more lemon juice, or even add a little mayo, etc. I'm fine with vinaigrette on green salad, pasta salad, bean salad, etc. I think it was just a little too much vinegar, thank you!

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

So many different opinions and methods. In my neck of the woods, a bbq is outside on the grill. The grill and its environment is the life of the party.

My mother on the other hand, complete opposite. She would rather eat glass than have more than 10 over, if that. Their grill is back behind the shed because it is 'unsightly', lol. Not much of a party giver. Really depends on what one enjoys.

I'll be doing chicken and ribs for 40-50 around the 4th holiday. So much easier than burgers and dogs. 3 dozen bone-in thighs, 3 dozen legs, 6 bone-less skin-less breasts cut in half, Costco pack baby back ribs cut into two ribs each. All packed in parchment lined foil with a homemade dry rub. Breasts with fresh rosemary, garlic, lemon slices. Night before prep. Lots of spare time to start salad prep. Into the oven early AM to braise. (ribs are best braised night before)...chilled then onto the grill for a low and slow grill/smoking AM. I use the braised thigh juices to make a mop. This year will be a Korean style.

I usually also skewer shrimp around a scallop and cedar plank salmon but concentrating on salads this year. A mixed grain, a bean, two slaws, a hybrid baby potato salad...semi-creamy, not heavy mayo. A mediterranean pasta salad. Been testing all those the past month. Fresh pickles, green salad. All prepped day before. Dressings separate, tossed before serving.

I must have taken after my grandmother who entertained for many and often.

elba1 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

How about a broccoli slaw which uses ramen noodles (dry) and the flavor packet mixed with oil/vinegar. Can add all sorts of stuff to that ... frozen peas, scallions shredded carrots, slivers of Granny Smith apples .... add the ramen noodles just before serving.

elba1 thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Very impressive sleevendog! I like the idea of entertaining, but I much prefer a few couples around the dinner table (or on the deck) when I'm the one cooking so I can actually visit with everyone I've invited. I feel overwhelmed hosting larger gatherings. I do it when I have to but get stressed out! bragu, I'm trying to keep the menu gluten free for a relative with celiac, but that is a good idea - I could do something along those lines without the noodles, thanks

• lindac92
    4 years ago

I love feeding a crowd! Love having big parties...I've done sit down for 40...and lots of big buffet eat in your lap type of parties. Have collected lots and lots of white china plates and lots of silver. I have tons of wine glasses.....and resort to paper for coffee. I started keeping notes after I had had a few.....and then when 12 years ago I started doing the church dinners and lunches, I began keeping very detailed recipes.
    But I do get stressed when there are several food allergies and dislikes to work around. I have a friend who is allergic to onions ( she says)....and I find it's really hard to cook without onions.
    Sleevendog, I just may show up on the 4th....with that many you would never notice one more!

• elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's great! I really admire people who serve large groups with ease, and I wish that was me because in my head I enjoy entertaining lol. I only have one refrigerator (and my husband has a small beer fridge downstairs), so I also worry about how to fit everything in the fridge. I have a freezer downstairs, but that doesn't really help with this menu.

• Louiseab
    4 years ago

I am a firm believer in doing as much ahead of time as I can . For example things like ribs can be dry rubbed and wrapped in foil and cooked in the oven and then either refrigerated or even frozen until needed and then put on the barbeque with the sauce . Some desserts can also be made ahead and frozen . These things can reduce the amount of cleanup that needs to be done the day of the event . I find cleanup to be the most daunting task of entertaining large groups . To that end quite often I will purchase these plates that I found from Costco that look like real China online but are in fact plastic and can be either disposed of or reused .they are Mozeik brand. I tried to post an image but it wouldn’t let me. They are plain white with either silver or gold band and are very attractive .

elba1 thanked Louiseab
    4 years ago

Oops. My intention was to make it visually easy for 40-50 so that thirty guests seems like a 'cake walk'. Key word is 'visualize'. Walk through it with a detailed list. Simplify to 3 cold salads. Be flexible following a recipe. Skip hard to find ingredients.

No need for the ribs, just chicken. Shop 2-3 days early with a good list. Prep chicken...it needs to get out of the grocery packages anyway. Just prep for the oven.

Wy is everyones fridge so stuffed? I have a 30" counter depth. The shelf above the crisper drawers can be cleared quickly. Top shelf is grains/nuts/seeds so that can go in the pantry a few days. I can fit 4 gallon zip-lock prepped ahead salads up there. Chicken dry rubbed packed in parchment lined foil easily on the shelf above the crispers...

Why are they volunteering you to host when you don't really enjoy the process? Ask for help. Why grilling outside is preferred. Gets the meat out of the kitchen and others tend it. Cooler with ice for drinks outside gets the party flowing outside.

I don't use plastic but will use paper and the wooded/bamboo utensils. Goes in the bonfire or woodstove.

Keep it simple. Corn on the cob. A watermelon, a bowl of fresh cherries. I don't do desserts but will make on occasion gluten-free, dairy-free ice cream sandwiches a week ahead. No need for more plates/silverware.

If you like to bake, make it now and freeze...cookies or a favorite that freezes well.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

I have twice done grilled chicken for a crowd and was not happy with the results starting with raw chicken, even marinated. It took at least 45 min. to cook and the done-ness was uneven. I would at least par bake or something similar, and maybe marinate. We do chicken shish-ke-bab and fajitas and shwarma sandwiches for just the two of us on the grill all the time and have good results, but I can't comment on how that would do for a crowd. Only experience I had was using cut-up, bone-in chicken parts, raw and marinated for a few hours. It was for a class picnic. Not a good idea! I know that's not exactly what you were planning but I just wanted to advise against that.

elba1 thanked l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

Do not grill chicken from raw for a crowd. All above advice is to oven braise with a dry rub. It goes to the grill warm from the oven to get a good sear. Ten-15 minutes on the grill. Off direct heat. Skewers for 30 is such extra fiddly steps not necessary. Spend that time on a simple fresh pickle...something appreciated. Or a simple slaw.

• elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm hosting because it is my daughter's graduation party. Since everyone will be likely be bringing her a money gift, I provide all the food. When I host a holiday, some relatives do offer to bring something and I take them up on the offer. I am good about trying to do what I can ahead of time - a little tricky this time though as I'll just be getting back from a trip across the country for another family event a few days before! We set the date for the end of the month, as she had one interview out of state today and another in a couple weeks, so she might not be in town much longer! In thinking about it, I grew up in a small family. My mom never entertained, other than having my aunt and uncle over for every holiday, so I was never involved in any kind of party planning growing up. I married into a larger family, and there are only a few of us willing/able to host everyone and we rotate, so I do get my share of "experience," ha ha. You've all been so helpful - one more question if you haven't tired of this thread! Some have suggested marinating the chicken, some have suggested a dry rub? I'm going with the finish of the Kraft/Sweet Baby Rays/OJ combo to brush on the grill, even though I usually make everything from scratch, that sounds tried & true ha ha! Not sure of an exact marinade or rub to best compliment the BBQ sauce? I can make something up, but open to suggestions, thanks!

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

My son uses one of these when he cooks ribs, Boston butts, chicken, or brisket for about five hundred or so of his closest friends, lol. It rotates and he cooks all night.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/abs-pit-boss-smoker-and-grill

That is the only way to cook for a large amount of people from raw to serve. Since I am not going to invest in one of those. I would have to precook and just reheat on the grill like sleevendog suggested.

elba1 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Yes, I do plan on baking in the oven the day before, then my husband and or son can grill & add the BBQ sauce that day right before serving.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

Use the bottled sauce for a crowd/party. Life's too short!

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

hope all goes well. we used to buy one of those blue wading pools, throw the ice and bottled/canned drinks in it. kinda fits for graduation theme too.

• elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks all! Party was last weekend and a success! And my daughter got a job, so extra to celebrate! Baked the chicken in the oven the day before with a dry rub. Went with the Kraft/SBR's/OJ combo for sauce - ended up reheating in the oven as it was raining - sky cleared 20 min. later but it was too chancy. Switched from potato salad to gluten free pasta salad at the last minute when I found out a dairy free guest was attending. Did pretty well accommodating 1 guest each who was: gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and no onions/garlic - it was a challenge, but everyone could have most things. I chopped up a red onion and placed it between the 3 salads (broccoli salad, tossed salad, pasta salad) so anyone that wanted to add it could. Had baked beans too. Thanks again!

• Louiseab
    4 years ago

Wow! Congratulation! Not many people would be so accommodating with dietary concerns. I’m busy preparing for a rehearsal dinner tomorrow night. So are expecting about 30 people.

elba1 thanked Louiseab
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, and good luck to you!

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

You are a good hostess Elba! My mouth is watering. Congratulations to you and your daughter!

I didn't notice that you were going to use a dry rub. What did you use? I have some wonderful stuff that LascaTX sent me!

• elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! :) Folks suggested marinating or a
    dry rub; I thought the dry rub would be easier. I looked at the recent post on BBQ dry rubs and sauces, but it had to be low FODMAP, so I modified it - think it was mostly just salt, pepper, cumin & paprika. I thought "chili powder" was one ingredient - didn't know there was garlic in it! I googled every ingredient e.g. "Is paprika low FODMAP?" etc. If I put something else in it I don't remember, I tried to keep it simple!

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

low/no FODMOP

yes, there are repeats by ethnicity

Italian: Parsley, basil, bay leaves, sage, rosemary.

Mexican: Coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, chilli, black pepper, cloves.

French: Thyme, nutmeg, rosemary, sage, tarragon, black pepper, Thyme, nutmeg, rosemary, sage, tarragon, black pepper, saffron, parsley.

Asian: chives, chilli, coriander, fenugreek, lemongrass, mint, pandan leaves, thai basil, cardamom, cloves, cumin, fennel seeds, star anise, turmeric, five spice, sesame seeds, cinnamon, ginger, galangal, kaffir lime leaves.

Other: Fennel seeds, asafoetida, chilli, cardamom, black pepper, cumin, capers, bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, curry leaves, curry powder, fenugreek, goraka, ginger, mint, mustard seeds, nutmeg, poppy seeds, saffron, sesame seeds, tamarind, turmeric, basil, lemongrass, rampa leaves.

Also: Bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, ginger, coriander seed, allspice, mint, fenugreek, parsley, sesame seeds, thyme, nutmeg, chilli, turmeric,, black pepper, paprika, saffron, fennel, mint, Saffron, rosemary

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I'm not sure of the year, but I think it was something like 1988. I was in charge of running a camping festival. We were to have about 110 attendees. We had to provide the food...

Okay, about 20-25 were vegetarian - we did find something good and substantial for them to eat other than just shoving them pasta or salad... I just don't remember what it was. I simply refused NOT to serve them something without substance...

This left us 85 or so attendees of the omnivore persuasion.

I and a couple of friends cooked up all the chicken in my kitchen, both dark and white meat. We didn't overcook the pieces, but we froze them once cooked and brought to room temp. (My freezer and at least one friend's freezer.)

We carted all this meat to the festival, in coolers that Friday, and we grilled it Saturday night for the attendees. We added our sauce then.

There were absolutely NO complaints about the chicken! It was cooked through, and the grill basically insured that the sauce flavors were incorporated into the parts of the chicken each attendee desired to eat.

• elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow, that was quite an undertaking! When other family members host our "largish-to-me" group they tend to have most of it catered (or it's a holiday where everyone contributes something too). I just like the "idea" of making everything - as ordering it cost more, higher sodium, etc. and I think homemade stuff just tastes better. It is a lot of work though, to me. I tend to spend the whole day before the event prepping, and thinking I wouldn't have to do any of this if I just ordered the food, then I do the same thing the next time - it's like the movie Groundhog Day LOL.

• moosemac
    4 years ago

Years ago I did a family reunion cookout for 100. I did BBQ chicken. I bought whole chickens and broke them down into 10 pieces, leg, thigh, wing minus the tip, breast split 1/4's. I marinated the chicken in a salt and sugar brine with some garlic overnight then baked it in a 350 oven until cooked, cooled and froze it. Two days before the party the chicken was moved the the fridge to thaw. We set a 4' by 8' cooking pit about 12" deep, filled it with charcoal and topped it with a stainless steel screen. The chicken was reheated in two batches on the pit grill. We basted it with a thin BBQ sauce using a food mop.

We made the sauce from scratch using ketchup, melted butter, garlic, liquid smoke, paprika, balsamic vinegar, worcestershire, hot sauce, dry mustard and black pepper. Don't ask me for a recipe for this, we winged it. I was lucky to remember to write down the ingredients. My cousins helped make the sauce and I believe there was a copious amount of spiritual fermenti involved. LOL

The point is if you plan ahead, BBQ chicken for a crowd can be fairly easy. in our case, the pit itself was an attraction which kept me from being isolated from the party.

elba1 thanked moosemac
  • elba1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wholly Moley that is something! Being a caterer is not in my future - crowd cooking seems to come much easier to others. I'm going to jot down your sauce ingredients; always willing to try new combinations, thanks!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County