SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

'Fundraiser.' WWYD?

golddust
13 years ago

It's for a niece to go to Chili for a year to teach english and we think it's wonderful that she is going. The cost is only $4,000+ and she will receive a stipend while she is there. She send out a request for $$ contributions to help with her costs - to 345 facebook friends. So far, only her mother has commented on Facebook, saying what a great idea it was to donate. (Sigh)

The thing is, Max is leaving for University in Lebanon in a couple weeks. His tuition is pricy and the cost of living, while reasonable, is on top of that. Then there is the airline ticket... The cost for Max will be way more than $4K.

Anyway, Max has been working his butt off to help save for his expenses. Our niece, who isn't working, just returned from a 10 day vacation in Hawaii, paid for from her summer job. She has been talking about this trip to Chili for over a year so I know she knew about it before taking her vacation.

I am not feeling inclined to donate money toward this very worthwhile endeavor because I think it's tacky to solicit money two weeks after vacationing in Hawaii. I can't imagine asking people for money to support Max's endeavor. We've done all kinds of extra things to generate extra money for his tuition, etc.

I feel like I need to respond but don't know what to say. I could simply say that Max is leaving in February and we are financially strapped because of his expenses.

I love my niece but wonder who is guiding her priorities. If Max had decided to spend his money on a vacation, he wouldn't be going to Lebanon.

What would you do?

Comments (36)