SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vermonter_2009

Kitchen Ventilation Showdown - Independent vs. Fantech

vermonter_2009
14 years ago

Hi all,

Our cabinetmaker is bugging me to get her the specs on the model hood liner I plan on buying. After educating myself here (thanks GW!), I received quotes from Independent and Fantech.

Our hood is 48" wide by 24" deep and we are cooking with a 36" 5-burner gas range. I've read here that a 42" vent is ideal, and we have the room.

Any comments on these choices:

(1) Independent's Pro-series metal hood liner 40 3/8" by 22 1/4" paired with their 1200 cfm fan with 10" duct to exterior wall. 2 lights, not dimmable.

(2) Fantech's SHL hood liner 40 1/2" by 22 paired with their FKD 10XL 1266 cfm fan with 10" duct to exterior wall. 2 lights, dimmable. Also includes the LD10 silencer and RSK10 backdraft damper.

The Independent choice is moderately more expensive (less than $200) and would be greater if we excluded the silencer and backdraft damper included in the price of the Fantech.

We also can move up to the 46 1/2" vent with 3 lights - the price difference is a couple hundred bucks.

Anyone have any input that could help us make our choice?

The other brand that I am trying to get a quote from is Modern-Aire, but I understand they are more expensive.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Vermonter

Comments (4)