SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vishketan

Make up air: Fantech vs CCB vs Broan

vishketan
7 years ago

I have seen many discussions here on make up air and also read a reasonable amount of literature from the other threads. I want to seek the advice of the experts here. My situation is as follows:

We are installing a Capital 36" range with 6 burners. We are also going to install a 42" wide and 27" deep hood from Modernaire and pair it with a 1200 CFM in-line attic blower and corresponding silencer from Fantech. The duct is 10" diameter, and the hood will be installed at a height of 30" above the cooktop.

We do wok cooking maybe once a week or so. Otherwise we rarely cook very greasy food. We live in a fairly temperate climate (North California, San Francisco Bay area), but our house is pretty well sealed.

I am not sure if our local code requires make up air, but I like to do things the right way. I see three options for make up air:

1. An active system like Fantech MUAS 1600. Pretty expensive (around $2500)

2. CCB innovations kit. Passive system. Costs around $350.

3. Broan make up air damper such as MD10TU. Costs around $210.

From what I understand the CCB kit and Broan are passive, in the sense that they open a damper whenever the hood blower is activated. On the other hand the Fantech system communicates with the blower and pumps in the same amount of air that is being sucked out by the blower. Of course this comes at a pretty steep increase in cost.

Any thoughts or experiences on the above three options?

Comments (10)