SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorothy9_gw

Please - prayers for my 16 yo grandson

dorothy9_gw
10 years ago

Our grandson was diagnosed with ACLC lymphoma. Tomorrow he will have a port inserted in his chest, bone marrow biopsies on both hips, a spinal tap and inject drugs into his spine. They have been told that the Med Center where he is being treated is rated as one of the top 5 and his doctor told them it is very treatable and her goal is to cure it. We hope and pray that she is right.
Grandmother dorothy

Comments (60)

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Grandma Dorothy,
    I've been on a similar train journey but from a different platform, just like many other families that have faced cancer. I will be sending thoughts of strength, courage, and peace to your family.

My unsolicited advice is: although he is the focus of the family right now, everyone, and I mean everyone including you, needs to take care of themselves too. Eat healthy. Get rest. Get exercise. Find a non-family outlet for your fears and worries, whether that's your cyber friends here, your real life friends, a religious organization, or even getting lost in a hobby or activity.

Look for the good in everyday. Be grateful for the positive things this journey will reveal to you. Try not to waste energy on worrying about the unknown or the things you can't control. Focus on what you can control and improve. Don't neglect each other while being overwhelmed by his situation.

Good luck and a speedy recovery to your grandson.

• User
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear this Dorothy and will put his family's need for grace on my prayer list.

• Related Discussions

My granddaughter needs prayers please!

Q

Comments (37)
    You guys are wonderful! I talked to Gaile last night. She took Shelby to the opthalmologist again the other day. Thankfully, she is fine! No sign of any problem. The doctor doesn't feel she needs to be seen again for this potential problem, but Gaile said she will continue to take pictures of Shelby to see if the "glare" shows up again. The doctor Shelby has been seeing is well versed in this rare eye cancer, so we feel pretty confident she knows what she's doing. None of the more recent pictures of Shelby...and we've taken a lot of them...have shown the same reflection the Christmas Eve photos showed. Gaile is into photography and will be taking many pictures to see if it shows again. She is still nervous about this and will follow through on it. After a little while, I will mention she might take Shelby to yet another doctor...to be sure...just incase she isn't already planning to. I can't help but wonder...like a couple of you have mentioned...with all of the prayers going out for Shelby right away...could she have been healed before she even saw the doctor? Only God knows! The whole thing is very puzzling...no one but Shelby had that glare in their eyes, and there were a lot of other people in the pictures that night. Thank you all for the prayers. I'll never forget you for them! I love you all! ~Sandy~
    ...See More

Updtae on my Grandson, Cody.

Q

Comments (3)
    My prayers are with you all, Ellie. I am so pleased to hear that Cody and his Dad are getting along so well now. God has a way of making things all work out, doesn't He? Jan
    ...See More

HELP 3yo grandson sprayed furniture polish everywhere!

Q

Comments (3)
    thank you thank you it worked-the first time I cleaned it was better the second time was the charm-I think one cleaning would have worked but he really put a nice coating on the floor and was "kind" enough to shine the floor with a cloth-thanks again for the tip
    ...See More

Gift for 16 y.o. boy under $50

Q

Comments (34)
    Based on my neighbors and people I see around here, they would wear that hat all the time. We don't have sidewalks so walkers & runners are in the street. With the cars. I still see everyone, except me, wearing earbuds. Perhaps the craziest was a guy on a recumbent bike, so he's down low and easier to overlook. He was riding in the traffic lane of a busy road, not my little side street, without a helmet and wearing earbuds. Yes, a bike is entitled to use the street but doesn't he have to obey other traffic safety rules? And shouldn't he err on the side of caution since he has MUCH more to lose in a fender bender. Maybe they figure, with more and more hybrid cars, you can't hear them coming so why not enjoy a few tunes up until your death. I *almost* wish I needed a $50 gift for a 16 yo boy, there are so many great ideas here.
    ...See More
  • beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Oh Dorothy, sending you lots of hugs and well wishes for your grandson. hhireno gives great advice above.

Hoping for a full and speedy recovery for him.

(((hugs)))

Bee

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Dorothy, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your grandson.

• localeater
    10 years ago

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Think positve thoughts. (((Hugs)))

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Oh (((Dorothy))) sending warm thoughts and positive prayers towards both your grandson and to you and your family.
    Lynn

• bestyears
    10 years ago

(((((((((((((hugs, prayers, and everything else that will bring peace and healing on the express train to your grandson and family right now)))))))))))))))

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Once I asked here for prayers and good wishes when my DH was critically ill. The immediate, warm and supporting response gave me no end of comfort. (I often went back reread the thread even though I knew it almost by heart in the end.)

So, I add my own good thoughts and prayers to all the others here. May your family and your grandson get through this, safe and sound and healthy. Ask for help and comfort whenever you need it, because it does make it easier, and extra prayers never hurt!

Be grateful your grandson faces this now, not decades ago, because these days medicine and doctors can do amazing things.

Let us know how things progress, if you feel up to it. People here truly do care, and especially want to buoy you up when you need a ((((hug))).

Liriodenron

• homebodymom
    10 years ago

Prayers for healing and strength on their way to your grandson and family.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Your family will be in my prayers.

I agree with HH. My husband and I are embarking on this journey ourselves, for the third time. He lost his father and I lost my mother - both to cancer. My MIL has just completed her first round of chemo for mantle cell lymphoma. HH is so right in that you must also take care of yourself. Let others help. While my husband and myself are my MIL's only immediate family, we are so blessed with friends, my family and our church family. My MIL's sister has also stayed with her a few days (bless her heart - she is 82 but in good health and wants to help). When others ask what they can do to help, please don't hesitate to tell them. They will WANT to help, but they may not know what to do.

tina

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Dorothy, your grandson will be in my prayers. I can't imagine what you all are going through, but please know I'm sending lots of good, strong energy your way.

Tina, I'll add your MIL as well.

Beth P.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

I will be praying for your grandson and all of you, Dorothy. Please check back in if/when you are able..

• jan_in_wisconsin
    10 years ago

He's in good hands medically and spiritually. Sending my prayers.

Jan

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I'll be praying along with the others that he will have the least serious case and bounce right back after treatment, keep that thought as that's often the outcome in young people. God bless and keep the faith.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Oh man, cancer is always tough, but it just seems too unfair in one so young. I'm so sorry he and your entire family has to go through this dark tunnel. I'm sending you comfort, courage, strength and healing energies his way and yours. The light at the end of the tunnel will soon shine on you all.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I wanted to mention cancer grace .org. They are a wonderful on line nonprofit where oncologists from all over volunteer their time to answer questions of patients about treatments and symptoms and are incredibly generous with their advise and their hearts. They were so helpful when I was dealing with mom's cancer. You and your children may find it helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cancer grace

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

Your grandson is in my thoughts and prayers. So glad to hear the cure rate is so high for this type of cancer.
    Sue
    a 16 year cancer survivor.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Though it seems like devastating news, it's really wonderful that his prognosis is so good and that this cancer can be cured. I had cancer when I was 15 and I'm doing great 41 years later! Everything is so much better these days including the fact that people are much more open, accepting and supportive of others diagnosed with cancer.

• dorothy9_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GW friends, your responses are overwhelming.
    dlm his age should be in his favor but he dislikes many foods that should be in the diet of a young boy so I worry that may be a factor in his ability to fight this off.
    Graywings, we are about 7 hours away so it takes us most of a day to get there. His treatment will be at U of Neb Med Center and they live over an hour away from Omaha. But we are grateful that it is that close.
    Again your responses to my plea are precious to me and I will tell his Mom to add my GW friends to his list.
    I will be back with any progress.

• anitamo
    10 years ago

More prayers coming! So sorry to hear this news that your DGS is facing. Please keep us updated and I hope you know you can come here often to unload your worries, too. (((Hugs)))

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Yes..sending his way now. A friend 's daughter beat this very thing five years ago. She was ten, and now totally well and happy. Keep positive thoughts, as we will here for him.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

I will gladly pray for your dear grandson, and I wish him well.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Dorothy- my thoughts are with you and your family. Nebraska is a great cancer center. I even flew there from ky as a teenager for a consult on treatment. Ended up seeking treatment elsewhere, but the compassion of the pediatric staff is something I haven't forgotten. Your grandson is in good medical care.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Prayers sent. Hugs.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

Good thoughts and prayers are going to you and your family. I'm sure today was a rough day for him. Do you mind sharing his name? It's tough being a Grandma, knowing that your loved one is in trouble and not being able to fix it yourself. Thankfully, he is in good hands.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Sending healing thoughts and saying prayers for your grandson, Dorothy. Cancer is tough on anyone, but I always hate to hear about one so young having this terrible disease. HH offered the best advice for you and his family...keep yourself in good health to help him heal. Wishing you all strength, courage, and peace to deal with the road ahead, and hoping it is a short road to healing.

• gardenbug
    10 years ago

Hi Dorothy,
    You and your grandson are in my thoughts and prayers. I know it's hard to be positive but make sure you look after yourself so you can stay strong for you both. I'll bet he's a tough kid and will survive this. Huggs.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I'm offering prayers for your grandson and you.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear the news but I'm holding him in my thoughts and envisioning wellness.

• User
    10 years ago

Said a prayer for your grandson to have a full and speedy recovery and strength to you all. Please keep us posted.

• dorothy9_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Natesgrandma, our grandson's name is Will. Our thanks again to all who offered prayers & good thoughts for him. I just opened an email from his Mom with a picture of him attached. He has two circles attached to his forehead, no idea if it is for real or his idea of a joke. He has a big smile on his face, made me feel much better even though I know this is only the beginning. DD said he had his first very low dose of chemo and is doing well. Are you ready for this? His doctor said it was "like a fart in the wind". I don't know what is in store for tomorrow, she did not say. They were hoping he could go home for a few days after tomorrow. If I knew how to include his picture I would so you would all know who you have prayed for.
    dorothy

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Grandma Dorothy,
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandson and am sending positive thoughts and healing energy your way. Glad you are able to be there to support both your grandson and his parents. Wishing all of you strength in the days ahead.

Liz

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

I will keep Will and your entire family in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like he is in good hands so don't forget to take care of yourself.

• dorothy9_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hospital has a menu where he can pick what he wants and call a number to order it. He ordered pancakes, ice cream and a sugar cookie. Doctor is concerned because he had no "reserve" but they have a nutritionist who will work with him and they have calorically dense foods he can eat. Doctor also said it is very rare to see his type of lymphoma in kids. So far we are not in Nebraska, waiting to hear from them if we are needed. He will get another chemo and if he is still doing well he can go home Thursdaay morning and return to the hospital Sunday or Monday.
    dorothy

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Good thoughts and prayers for you all.

ML

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Sending thoughts of good health to your sweet little guy.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

Praying for your grandson here in little Rhody.

• legomom23
    10 years ago

Praying for an easy treatment and a full recovery for Will and lots of strength for his parents, family and you.
    Kids should not have to go through this. Glad his first treatment went well.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You can bet I'll add your grandson to my prayers Dorothy. Right now I'm praying for my cousin's cancer so I'll think of and pray for your grandson everytime I lift her in prayer.
    May God bless your grandson and family with comfort and peace during this terribly trying time.

• dorothy9_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I said I would be back with updates about Will. He had one week of chemo and came home a week ago today for rest etc. Past week was not good due primarily to mouth sores that have become very painful. They had an appointment yesterday at the med center and was admitted to hospital to have pain medication via IV.
    Don't know yet if he will be released or kept there. He has lost several more pounds since it is so painful to eat. He is 5'11" and now must only weigh about 120. I was there for about 10 days but came home Thursday. Have been having a very aching hip so think I need to see my doctor before going back to do what I can to help.
    Again thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Dorothy, I just wanted to tell you I will pray for your Will and for all of the family. And I will pray that your hip pain will resolve quickly so you can better help your family.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Dorothy, thanks for the update on Will. I will be praying for him and thinking of you all.

Beth P.

• User
    10 years ago

Just seeing this . I am so sorry Dorothy. Do you still have your place in Auburn? I sure hope Will's recovery will go more smoothly. I will keep you all in my thoughts. c

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Thank you for keeping us updated. That's a shame about the mouth sores. The good thing is that the medical people know how to deal with them, and any other side effects that may occur.

It's great that you were able to spend some time with Will and his family.

Yes, definitely have the hip checked. Take care of yourself so that you're ready to take care of them.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Good luck with all this , and thanks for the update.
    This must be such a hard time for all of you.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Dorothy, thank you for the update. Chemo is so hard on the body. God bless your grandson. This is not going to be an easy fight for him, but I will lift him, the medical staff that is helping him and your family.
    I do hope you find out what is causing your hip pain so you too can feel better.

• dorothy9_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Following is the latest we have received. Doctors think morphine may have caused unbearable head aches, and he also had a bad nose bleed. Today he had a platelets transfusion as well as blood transfusion. Medication was changed to something stronger, hoping he will feel better. His mom is staying at hospital with him tonight. So far don't know if he will be able to come home tomorrow. Thanks to all of you.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear he is in such discomfort. Wishing the best for the change in treatment.

Last year around this time, my DD's good friend was going thru the same thing and due to an infection while her system was so low, we almost lost her. Many people on this forum were wonderful in their support at that time and I really believe all the positive energy helped her pull thru. She is now back at school (part time) and talking about taking part in a 24 hour relay fundraiser for cancer in the spring. Life is never the same for these kids, but their strength and resilience is amazing. I will pray for the best for your grandson.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Dorothy, so glad you are keeping us updated. Will continue to keep your grandson in prayers for recovery and for strength for your family. And hope you find some relief for your hip pain.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Dorothy, I'm so sorry Will has added pain from chemo. I'll add that his new meds help without harm. God bless him.