SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Spaghetti sauce with meatballs

DYH
16 years ago

We had a great lunch on Saturday (tiramisu was great). To save time, I added a few premade items from Trader Joe's.

I decided to try something new with my spaghetti sauce by adding some Italian prosciutto de parma and it turned out great. Here's what I did for 10 servings. I started this at 10:00 am

EVOO heated in a very large pot

2 finely chopped shallots saute until transparent

add 1 bag frozen Trader Joe's mini meatballs to brown

add favorite seasonings (garlic, dried basil, oregano, etc.)

add 3 slices of prosciutto (roll them together, slice to make small pieces). Don't let it get crispy.

add a good red wine to cover 1/2 depth of meatballs

reduce wine

add 1 can tomato paste

add 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes

add 1 jar of favorite pasta sauce (I used TJ's roasted garlic)

bring to slow boil, then reduce heat (taste and adjust seasonings)

Transfer to a large crock pot set on high to simmer for 2 hours.

I served it over whole wheat thin spaghetti. (I put it all in a large bowl and tossed so that it was served on the table).

Had parmeseano reggiano (sliced not grated) and gorgonzola (cut in cubes) in small bowls for guests to choose from. The gorgonzola was a big hit as it is great with prosciutto.

Salad was butter lettuce and roma tomatoes with TJ's Balsamic dressing.

Since we had one picky eater, I had separate bowls of artichoke hearts, olives, tapenades, and bruschetta available. I also had parmesean crisps (TJ's) for him since he didn't want the softer bread.

Bread was TJ's Tuscan Pane (comes sliced). I drizzled good EEVO down into the slices, wrapped in aluminum foil and put in preheated 375 oven for 10-15 minutes. You don't have to watch it that way.

Beverage was San Pellegrino sparkling water with lemon slices.

Espresso with the tiramisu.

Cameron

Comments (5)