SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamadadapaige

Trying to buy as much 'Made in the USA' as possible - questions..

12 years ago

I was originally thinking CC, modernaire and Liebherr, but just read a good book about how outsourcing to other countries is killing our economy. Trying to do my part and support USA made stuff where possible for my upcoming kitchen renovation.

I've found a cabinet maker that sources most of what goes into the cabinets in the US - am feeling good about that choice.

Now, to focus on appliances:

I am hoping for a 36" gas cooktop with griddle. Seperate wall ovens - 27" wide (don't need to have any special bells/whistles, but would like the microwave incorporated into one of the units). Because my space is tight, I really need a built in refrigerator that occupies as little space as possible - I had been considering the Liebherr french door fridge and might still go that way unless I can find something American made that will fit the bill.

For the cooktop - I am thinking of the Five Star with Grill/griddle. Would prefer closed burners. I know the CC is American made also, but not sure the extra $1000 is worth it. Opinions?

For wall ovens, I know Dacor is USA made but the price is up there for my budget - any other options?

For refrigeration - I Subzero the only USA made built in? The Liebherr is better for my budget but am trying to figure out my options before deciding which way to go. For instance, maybe I save $1000 by going for my second choice cooktop in order to put the money toward the US fridge - am willing to go this way as long as what I am purchasing will do what I need it to do and isn't fraught with quality issues.

Thank you for any advice or help you can give. As stated, it is a hope to support US manufacturing, but in the end things like quality and budget will come into play as well.

Comments (16)