SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

"Made in The USA" Alert! Paula Deen candles

caroline94535
11 years ago

Shopping is no longer much fun for me. I see "cute," or "Oh! I could use that" items only to discover the Made in China sticker. Once in a while I have must get something and have no other choice, but I try to do without rather than buy "China."

Looking around Michael's the other day, trying to find my niece a craft "anything" not made in China I found a new-to-me line of Paula Deen candles. They smelled heavenly; I wanted one.

I looked at the lable and they are "Made in the USA!" My niece didn't get anything, but I got a new candle.

Comments (11)

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

That is so good to know.
    I always get the grandkids pj's for Christmas and DDIL asked if I could find all cotton ones this year.
    I had a difficult time finding all cotton but finally found a place with affordable and made in the USA.
    They are not very fancy but DDIL says they launder well and are well made.
    I looked at Lands End but they were very expensive for my budget.
    I recently bought a vacuum cleaner made in the USA, too.....more expensive than the ones I could have gotten at Target or Kohl's but it is well made and works very well.
    The guy at the vacuum center said it will last a lot longer than the cheaper ones and he will guarantee it past the factory warranty. He has been in business for 40 years.

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

I had a pleasent surprise for a change. Bought a couple of Nordic Ware (kitchen) items and discovered they are made in the USA! I'm very pleased with both pieces and will buy more if the need arises.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordicware

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I bought Corelle dishes, in white, and was happy with the made in the USA stamp on the bottom. But... the coffee mugs (which I really didn't want, nor need) were made in China.

Go figure.

I am trying to sell the coffee mugs on craigslist, but they are not moving. I will end up leaving them at goodwill before long.

Moni

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

A lady @ club meeting yesterday was showing us her jar of "peanut butter powder". I was looking on the label to see the nutrition breakdown & noticed that it said it was "Made for Blah,Blah Company" in Georgia, etc. It did NOT say WHERE it was made.

I see labels on canned goods that do not say WHERE they were made, but will say "DISTRIBUTED BY x Company" in Tennessee or Michigan, etc. That always makes me suspicious that they were probably MADE IN CHINA. I find that irksome that they can skirt the truth (IMO) about where some food products were made/mfg. Food products, especially, I prefer Made/mfg in USA or Canada.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

There was a fascinating feature in the December issue of The Atlantic magazine about how quickly manufacturing is coming back to this country....and why.

• dances_in_garden
    11 years ago

I am beginning to realize that no matter where something was "made", all the raw materials and components come from a Third World/Developing country.

Pet food made in Canada and USA contained ingredients from china which were tained with melamine (an acceptable way in china to raise the protein readings if they are not producing 'food' - an ingredient is not 'food' so they are in the clear). So, knowing where it was made was no assurance. Unless you are only worrying about where the labour dollar is being spent.

The laws can be funny. Sometimes I see "assembled in" stickers which I suppose are more truthful.

Dances.

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

Oh, here's one:
    Last summer I bought a t-shirt on vacation. It had USA in big letters on the neckline tag. I thought, "Wow, not too often you find souvenir t-shirts made in USA! Good find!

After I got it home, I read the smaller print: "Printed in the USA"...... NOTHING about WHERE is was made. I just saw the big USA letters & ASSumed it was made in.... USA. What a dang come on!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I love Doughmakers bakeware. It was made in The USA. Wonderful product and I was willing to pay more since it was made in Indiana.

They were bought out and the new owners have a plant in Toronto and guess where...Shanghai.

I guess the product won't be made in the USA anymore.

On another note The Company Store is another terrific place to shop USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

The best candles I have found are made right here in Texas, called Circle E.
    They smell amazing , last forever, and come in a very heavy nice jar.

Here is a link that might be useful: circle e

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Out shopping yesteday, I saw a beautiful display of our National symbol The American Flag. Embroidered stars and individual sewn together stripes on sale for just $9.99. You guessed it...Made in China. That really makes my blood boil!

• Tally
    11 years ago

I gave up on candles - too much soot damages the walls. I only melt tarts now, and I buy them from online etailers so I know they are made in the US.

But, sorry to say, I can't get too tweaked about something not being made in the US. The world is too small, and the economy is too global to be so exclusive. We've done it to ourselves. We want cheap, and cheap isn't always made in the USA.

Can you imagine the Chinese boycotting made in the USA? We all depend upon each other.

Like Dances said, the only concern I have is safety. And that isn't necessarily linked to any one nation. Look at the E Coli epidemics we've had here in our own country with our own food supplies.