SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Do I have a bone to pick, should I pick it, and who pays for it?

Aims
9 years ago

I had posted a little of this in the "How's your build going" thread. The windows have gone in and there were some errors. We were initially understanding of some of these errors, however I am starting to lose some of the understanding!

We decided to do casement windows in the front of house and double hung in the back of house. Hubby likes how casement look, but they are more expensive so we compromised. The building supply store accidentally ordered ALL casement windows but said they would charge us for what we had originally requested. A break for us, right?

They ordered 5 foot windows for our living room instead of 6 foot windows. We decided to just accept that. The ordered the wrong size window for the master closet and the wrong window for the garage. The garage window will be fixed, the master closet window will do.

With the windows being installed yesterday, we discovered that to 2- 5 foot windows and the large window in the dining room are fixed. So the only window in the back of the house where the kitchen/living room area are that opens is the small window over the kitchen sink. I am unsure if the window we have in our reading nook by the front door opens and closes. I am going to check that out today. So if we wanted to open windows in the kitchen because we had a lot of smoke or wanted to air out the house, the only window that actually opens is the kitchen sink window which is 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 feet. From the partial snippet of our kitchen I posted, the backdoor can be opened as well.

We originally chose double hung because they could open and shut and were budget friendly. My old piece-o-crap spec home from DR Horton had windows in the kitchen/living/dining/family room that opened and shut. During certain times of the year, we would open those windows to air out the house. Wouldn't even have to turn on the heater or air conditioner.

Builder said that this was the way with windows and that is what was planned. There is a bit of a disconnect between what we got and what we thought we were going to get. Push comes to shove, I could live with the dining room window being fixed. The windows in the living room not being able to open bother me. Even if one of the 5 foot windows could open, that would be an improvement over nothing.

1. Am I overreacting. 2. Can this or should this be fixed. 3. If so, who is paying for it? I don't feel like hubby and I should pay for it because the building supply store screwed up to begin with. Or are we going to be stuck paying extra to get this done to the way we wanted it to begin with.

Comments (13)